All Anime World Game "A little cat-girl’s tale.”

Discussion about games, books, movies, and your favorite songs.
JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Re: All Anime World Game "A little cat-girl’s tale.”

Post by JHawkNH » October 26th, 2011, 4:22 pm

On a side note I am looking into useing DirectX in this game. That would allow for better graphic and less graphics programing, while also keeping with the theme of having it playable on as many computers as possible.
I am planning on useing DirectX 9 since that standard on all Windows systems since XP.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » October 28th, 2011, 2:00 pm

The directx api doesn't look easy to me. I wonder if it really turns out to be a time saver... :.:
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » October 30th, 2011, 2:57 am

There must be a reason why so many people choose it over the alternatives... apart from the money M$ throws at it, i mean.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » October 31st, 2011, 4:47 pm

The DirectX api is a little more complex, but it save time in that I don't to create functions that already exist in DirectX. Thing like image transparancy, image manipulation, text displays, etc... It also is much faster because it can use the graphics hardware.

The code I originally created was working at about 10-15 fps. The equivalent code that I programmed in DirectX in just 15 minutes (verses 2 monthes for the original code) is only currently held back by the refrease rate of the monitor.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » November 1st, 2011, 4:17 pm

I once tried messing with the OpenGL thing... got some square thingys on screen and added some clipping... bad enough for 3 days of work. I'm a failure as a techie. :sob:

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » November 1st, 2011, 5:09 pm

Graphics programming is very complex, so don't feel bad if you had a hard time with it.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » November 1st, 2011, 6:07 pm

Don't feel bad, Sakura, I'm lost when they mention coding. I like the idea of faster though, with computer stuf, fast is usually good.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » November 3rd, 2011, 9:40 am

Well DirectX expected me to provide images in bmp format UPSIDE DOWN(!) when all I had was png and jpg. No transparency in bmp's, the idea was to generate some greyscale filter bmp (UPSIDE DOWN!) from the original image that handles the transparency. It was around that time that I stopped messing around with DirectX and decided to buy my games instead. :hmm:

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » November 3rd, 2011, 1:07 pm

That sounds like some of the older DirectX versions. That stuff really was a pain. With DirectX 9c we can use normal images (BMP, JPG, I haven't tested PNG yet) and transparency can be handeled by setting a color to use as a transparent color. I am 99% sure that it also allows for alpha blending.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » November 6th, 2011, 10:15 am

Hey and what about this DirectX 11 I have in my video card? It was an extra € 100 just for that. It's supposed to have purrrfect lighting, fog, and whatchamacallit's. It also supports jigglamabigs. (Ok I admit I didn't understand most of these advanced functions that's supposed to be in there) :shy: