Any new good ... cough... anime?

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
Sakura
Resident Kitty

Re: Any new good ... cough... anime?

Post by Sakura » August 15th, 2010, 12:40 am

I got Mitsudone for 14 days on my hard disk (on a side note I got a brand new 2 TB one and I plan buying another AND some SSD for my windows system) . I ended watching Tenshi no Shippo and Vandread 2 again.

Anime is dead isn't it?
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » August 16th, 2010, 3:58 pm

No anime is not dead. It is just... um... going through it's akward teen years. The story quality is not there right now that we have seen in previous decades. I would assume that is because with the current state of the industry being way down, they are taking safe bets on well know properties and types (fanservice). Right now they can't really take a chance on an "out of the normal" anime for fear that the losses could bring down the whole company. Once the industry recovers and the studios are able to take more chances, that is when we will begin to see more gems from anime that a studio decieded to take a chance on.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » August 16th, 2010, 8:59 pm

I guess in a sense Anime is like Comic Books. You have the main ones (Batman, Superman, Spiderman/DBZ, EVA, and Pokemon).

Some are fresh and new, and some try to be super philosophical (like Grant Morrison tried with Batman >< Can he leave now!).

And also like Comic Book movies hit a spike, but they've all down poorly, Kick-Ass, The Losers, Iron man2, Scott Pilgrim didn't reach its project figures. It was beaten by The Expendable... but its bitter sweet for me, I wanna see comic book movies do well, but c'mon its the The Expendables! every 80s and 90s action star in one film! lol.

But now there a new light, with The Walking Dead becoming a tv series, which a huge milestone. One, Its the first an indie comic is gonna be made into a live action series, that isnt a big name like Flash, Wonder Woman and Superman. And two, the first ever actual Zombie tv series! And like Anime and comics, the Zombie genre was dying and getting generic for awhile after 28days later.

But sometimes that can be a problem, like vampires right now, going into the book sections all you see are Twilight rip off now, like Jhawk said, its the quick cash, easy safe bet... When Daylight came out, omg! that was a fresh of breath air and a starting point for reviving the "true" vampire genre. and like Twilight. After 28days, the zombie genre saw a boom, and movies were coming out of the woodwork (like comic movies) and they weren't all that good (again like a lot of comic movies). Also in protest, they're making another Lost Boys movie lol, but I still havent seen the 2nd one, lol... hm thats going on my to do list.
You don't see yourself clearly at all. You're not like anyone I've ever known. You Fascinate me.

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » August 17th, 2010, 6:06 am

This season's pretty dry. I'll go ahead and reccommend the movie Summer Wars. It's from the same people as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (another gem) and I think it won a best anime of the year award or something.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » August 18th, 2010, 3:58 am

OMG! What anime is this FROM?!?! Has anyone seen this?! I MUST FIND THIS ANIME! I can't freaking stop laughing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gD8nV8R ... r_embedded
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » August 18th, 2010, 4:59 am

Dinky wrote:OMG! What anime is this FROM?!?! Has anyone seen this?! I MUST FIND THIS ANIME!
Magical Witch Punie-Chan

Magical Witch Punie-Chan, also known as Dai Mahou Touge is the title of a Japanese comedy manga and OVA. The story revolves around a young girl named Tanaka Punie who is princess of Magical Land. In order for her to become queen, however, she must become a transfer student in a Japanese high school. Due to her potential to become the next ruler, she has many enemies that wish to assassinate her. This proves difficult to them because Punie is both skilled at martial arts and possesses magic powers which she uses to quickly defeat her enemies. The series is a parody of magical princess anime, and often uses the juxtaposition of cute characters with brutal violence for humor.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalo ... 0779/4/0/0

http://www.amazon.com/Magical-Witch-Pun ... 495&sr=8-1
You don't see yourself clearly at all. You're not like anyone I've ever known. You Fascinate me.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » August 19th, 2010, 2:33 am

Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » September 1st, 2010, 4:43 am

I started watching Pumpkin Scissors, it's an interesting anime, following an older style, a bit of the post war type, but the Pumpkin Scissors group is trying to right some of the many wrongs. How they got that name, I'll never guess.

I finished watching The Wallflower. If you haven't checked out this delightful comedy, you really should. Be prepared for lots of chibis, nose bleeds, bishi boys, hordes of love struck girls, and one paranoid, psychotic, dark, creepy and way too funny girl. The four overly beautiful boys boarding at "auntie's" mansion are about to get their rent tripled if they can't turn her niece, Sunako, into a real lady. It should be no problem for these four fine young men......... or, maybe not. They are completely creeped out by Sunako and the dark aura she brings with her. Her best friends are medical manikins, she loves to watch horror movies, she stays in her dark room. There are just to many great and extremely funny moments in this anime to tell you about them. The sports festival, the cultural festival, when Sunako's favorite manikin is kidnapped. There's even a bit of romance between Sunako and Kyohei, the leader of the four boys, though she ends up with a terminal nose bleed every time she sees to much of the "creature of light". Well, you know how it will end up, right? .......... Don't count on it.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » March 24th, 2011, 12:06 pm

Okay I downloaded Mitsudomoe episode 1 and never got to watch it. A few minutes I deleted the file to make room for iCarly episodes...
I will have to wait for new Ghibli works...
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » March 25th, 2011, 1:49 pm

If you like Shakespeare, you could try Romeo X Juliet. It's quite a different telling of the classic tragedy. They get a lot of Shakespeare's plays involved, and add a decided Japanese twist to it. It was a very good anime overall.

Sakura, if you like some cute and funny but very safe anime, watch Mao Chan, and Risky-Safety.