Short (loosely dream based) story

Stories posted here will be copied to the Fan Fiction page. Please only submit your own work.
Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Short (loosely dream based) story

Post by Zeratul2k » June 27th, 2010, 7:41 am

Here's a story I wrote which, has the title specifies, is loosely based on a dream. The dream was way more awesome, but I found it way more difficult to put it into words so I went with this instead. I'm not completely satisfied with the end result, though, so I would like to hear everyone's opinion.

-----

I walk in silence to the car, the only one in the small covered parking lot just outside the building I just left. I hold the keys confidently in my hand, but still manage to fumble as I try to use them to unlock the door. I feel tired, more than I think I should. Then again, I have done a lot tonight, but nothing anyone else would not had done in my position. I get into the driver's seat and look at the passenger seat out of reflex, almost expecting to see her there, waiting for me. But she is not there. I should not have left the way I did, without explaining what was going on. Knowing her like I do, she is probably telling her side of the story, what she thinks happened, to her sister. That is probably for the best, maybe she will speak some sense into her. Or maybe not. Her sister seems to hate me for some reason and I have never really bothered to ask why. Maybe I should ask someday, but I am beginning to wonder if that is really a good idea.

I place my hands together over my mouth and let out a deep breath, trying to warm them up. It is then that I notice I am not wearing my gloves anymore, must have left them somewhere. I know I still have time and could go back to look for them, but something tells me I should try not to stay near the building anymore. Something about overstaying a welcome comes to mind, but I am never been too good relating idioms to situations as I encounter them. I always seem to screw those things up in the worst of situations, so I have stopped trying altogether.

I turn the key, the one I found in the ignition, and the car's engine comes to life. It did not look like a well kept car, but the engine purred nicely as I put some pressure on the pedal. I just hope the brakes are as well maintained as the engine. The radio seems to be broken, though, as I only get static when I try to tune any of my favorite stations. Or maybe the reception is just bad, the building is in the mountains in the middle of nowhere, after all.

I fasten the seatbelt and fix the rear view mirror, taking a good last look at the building behind me. Painted in "sad gray", the building seemed like a foreboding, almost terrifying beast waiting for prey in the darkness. I shake my head. I have to stop thinking about things like that, or so my psychologist friend told me once. I sit back and relax on the comfy seat. It would be nice to talk with him again, if only to get some stuff out of my system. Maybe I could have him help on my relationship problems as well.

I look outside the car to the snow covered road ahead of me, laying in darkness and silence, speaking tales of romance and death. It is the first time in my life I see this road, but for some reason it seems I know all about it already, like I have gotten acquainted with it just for jumping into a car that has probably traveled it one too many times before. I can't see the pavement under the snow, a good sign that I should probably have to be extra careful on my way back home. I took one last look at my clock, though I already know the time, before shifting into first gear. I still have time so I take my time driving carefully down the mountain. There is no traffic, I have the road to myself. The white noise on the radio is relaxing. Something tells me I should phone her and let her know I am doing all right. She might be getting worried about me, even if we have not really talked for a few days now.

I should say I am sorry.

I take the phone and dial her number, then put it on speaker and place it on top of the dashboard. It rings four times before she picks it up. She does not say anything, not even hello.

"I'm sorry." I say and wait for her to say something. Anything. The seconds pass slowly.

"About what?" She finally asks. She sounds distant.

"For not telling you I had to leave." My throat feels dry. I try to clear it, but end up coughing.

"Are you ok?"

"Yeah, but I think I have a cold." I manage to say after I can control myself again. A bright flash catches my attention and I look through the rearview mirror out of reflex. In the distance, the building I had just left collapsed, tongues of fire raising from the rubble.

"What was that?" She asks, concern now noticeable on her voice. I guess the sound was just a little too much for the car's soundproofing.

"Just me taking care of what made me leave in a hurry." I answer while letting out a sigh of relief.

Now my life can go back to normal.

I have had enough of saving the world.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

LynnLynn
New User

Re: Short (loosely dream based) story

Post by LynnLynn » June 27th, 2010, 5:46 pm

I guess you're not satisfied with the result because you know how the original dream went.
I like it so far though, I say, keep writing ^^

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: Short (loosely dream based) story

Post by oldwrench » June 28th, 2010, 1:29 am

I like it, it's an interesting little short story, leaving much to the imagination. Yes, keep writing, I enjoy your stories.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.