Twilight Series

Discussion about games, books, movies, and your favorite songs.
Kira
Angel
Angel

Twilight Series

Post by Kira » May 8th, 2008, 5:52 am

Freya recommended this book to me and it is amazing. I really like the detail description, and the emotional description. So far I am on chapter 10 its getting really good, well shoot by chapter 2 it was already good. Though I must admit after getting this far and seeing the trailer I am a little disappointed especially one specific scene. But tomorrow I'll be going to Borders and purchase the next series. w00t! I was just flipping the book right and it offers a preview for New moon, sw33t!
You don't see yourself clearly at all. You're not like anyone I've ever known. You Fascinate me.

hannah821
Established Member
Established Member

Re: Twilight Series

Post by hannah821 » May 20th, 2008, 10:09 pm

Hmm, this book does sound interesting from all my friends. I'm sure that I will read it one of these days.
:3 *Kawaii*

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » May 20th, 2008, 10:15 pm

No! not one of these days! NOW! I went through three books within a two week span. Thats how good this series is!
You don't see yourself clearly at all. You're not like anyone I've ever known. You Fascinate me.

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » June 1st, 2008, 2:38 am

Well I made three Breaking Dawn wallpapers on deviantart. Fell feel to use 'em if you like. Tho, reading the first chapter. I was kinda..."huh..." I wasn't really sure what to think. Guess I'll just have to seen.

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » February 8th, 2009, 4:10 am

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/stephen-king- ... n/18406?nc

Article about Stephen King on Meyer's writing style, for those who haven't read it. I personally haven't read the books yet so I'll refrain from making an uninformed opinion, but it might serve to get some discussion going. Thoughts?

agito_0291
Full Time Otaku
Full Time Otaku

Post by agito_0291 » February 8th, 2009, 7:44 am

I pretty much agree with Stephen King. I commend her for doing so well and I hope that she continues to write considering how many people enjoy her books but to me it just wasn't that great. I read the first one in order to try and understand what all the fuss was about, but I really found it lacking; I remember reading it and feeling like I could do better (not trying to sound egotistical). There were some great descriptive paragraphs but they were all about the scenery (the one I'm thinking of is a beach in the first book that she did an above average job describing). But then again, since she is writing from a female point of view I may just not understand it on a biological level.

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » February 8th, 2009, 3:14 pm

To be honest, I skimmed through the first one just to see what her writing style was like, and I agree completely. From what I read, I can say she's able to invoke some emotions in the reader, but she does nothing for giving the reader something to work with in their imagination (which, since he compared the two, Rowling is a master at, imo). Her success was her ability to set off the fangirls; it probably wouldn't have done so well if Edward looked like your average joe or if it got switched to a guy main character's infatuation with perfect looking female vampire.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » February 13th, 2009, 8:01 pm

Yay!!! People who agree with me!!!!! *Warning: Spoilers! Don't read if you want to read the series and haven't done so yet! Although, I might save you a brain-bleaching!*
Twilight is readable- the first read was actually somewhat enjoyable. Although, I was like "Say what? How juvenile ARE you?" in many, many parts- like the sparkly vampire skin part. I mean, what is THAT? :.: Not to mention all the parts that I was thinking: "Aaaaaand HERE'S where I'd get a restraining order..." Seriously. Edward watched her sleeping when she didn't know it. Excuse me? Get out of my house, you sick, voyueristic pervert!
Also- the writing style is very simplistic and at times quite annoying. More description and less "his unbelievably gorgeous face" every other sentence would have been nice.
The second book was bearable, but not something I'd like to have to read again. Can anyone get more generic? Guy loves girl, leaves girl to "protect" her, girl goes into serious depression from broken heart, they end up getting back together. Right.
The third book was utterly, incomprehensibly torturous. I battled my way through it only because my dear hubby bought the book for me as a present, but I felt like scrubbing my brain with bleach by the time I got half way through it. So, S. Meyer spends the first TWO books building up how Bella and Edward have this once-in-a-lifetime soulmate-type love thing, and THEN she spends the third book making this really convoluted love triangle between Bella, Edward, and Jacob. I mean, Bella went CATATONIC after Edward left, and now she's thinking she might love someone else?! The girl is not that great. No way these two guys would put up with her manipulative, whiny, BS! Oh, and by the end of the book, Bella realizes she loves Jacob, too. She just loves Edward more. :hmm:
Don't even get me started on the fourth book. Okay, I'm started. Bella turns into some sex-crazed wierd person that's nothing like the occasionally amusing Bella in Twilight, and I really, really hated her. And Edward needed to grow some kind of spine. Or something. And the squickiest part? To resolve this crazy, unnecessary love-triangle thingie, S. Meyer has Jacob imprint on Bella and Edward's DAUGHTER (who should never have been in there, anyway. Ridiculous). How creepy is that?!?! So, someday when Renesmee (Renesmee. Seriously. Why didn't her editors stop her right there??) is old enough for she and Jacob to have a REAL relationship, how's he going to explain things? "Oh, yeah, honey. Before you were born, I wanted to bang your mom."
Creepy. Icky. Bad. She should've stopped with Twilight. Bella should've been changed and THE END. Okay book. Sorry for the rant, but can you tell I really have a problem with this series being as popular as it is???
The only redeeming quality I can see is that they convinced Robert Patterson to play Edward in the movie. Whooowee! And yes, I went to see it just for him. :shy:
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » February 14th, 2009, 6:40 am

Sounds like a train wreck. Perhaps it's more of a romantic fantasy than an actual story?

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » February 14th, 2009, 11:19 am

Hey hey. I'll admit Twilight is the best one of series...Breaking Dawn was so painful for me...The only good part of New Moon is when Alice comes back...Yes I have a fanboy crush on Alice.