WAI! My OS 8.04 is coming today!

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
Sakura
Resident Kitty

WAI! My OS 8.04 is coming today!

Post by Sakura » April 24th, 2008, 5:08 am

I cannot wait...

Ubuntu 8.04 is coming today... I want to update! Unfortunately it's this evening US TIME *tries to supress hatred*

*wants Ubuntu now* *cries* :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

Freya
Otaku Leader
Otaku Leader

Re: WAI! My OS 8.04 is coming today!

Post by Freya » April 24th, 2008, 5:17 am

aww. :pat:
i'm sure you'll survive
“Here’s the thing… I’ve already gone crazy once. I know what my limits are.” ~ Bella Swan

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » April 24th, 2008, 5:42 am

We are on the same boat. Preordered the CDs for my sis about a week ago but I'm just hitting refresh every 30 minutes or so to start downloading the CD image ASAP.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » April 24th, 2008, 4:18 pm

Hardy Heron is out and looks great so far. It's the version with LTS - Long Time Support they're offering 3 years support for desktop and 5 years for the server version. My desktop cube works well and I feel an increase of speed. Really great so far but nothing earth shaking. A must-have for support reasons.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » April 25th, 2008, 2:24 am

how's the server version looking? My image hasn't finished downloading :sob:
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » April 25th, 2008, 4:06 am

I just got a new cpu cooler for my linux box, when I get it installed I'll have to get at that update. I'd still like to learn a bit more about using linux.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 19th, 2008, 12:29 am

YEEEEEHAAAAAA

I got 8.04 downloaded and working, and I actually figured out how to fix my second hard drive so I can write to it!!!!!

Some day, I may even figure out how this thing works. And the pidgin messenger program works fine for the chat. I might even have to get a desk for this computer.......... get it off my workmate portable workbench.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » May 19th, 2008, 11:32 pm

Zeratul2k wrote:how's the server version looking? My image hasn't finished downloading :sob:
I don't dare to let them install it. When they said they had no experience installing Debian/Ubuntu and would charge me 100 Euro (About US$ 145) per hour I basically decided just to switch the company and buy a new faster server for 99 Euro/month.

I have to help out with our Bertha Dudde website before that one is not done we cannot switch anything.

@oldwrench glad to see your hard disk running I cannot think of a problem that would cause a hard disk to be read-only EXCEPT a NTFS (Windows) drive. When running Ubuntu you have to format it EXT3.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 20th, 2008, 3:42 am

Well Sakura, I did have it formatted to ext3 but I must have messed up something with the permissions, I couldn't get it to let me on by using chown like they told me to. After updating to 8.04 it worked like they said in the instructions.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » May 21st, 2008, 6:02 am

oldwrench wrote:Well Sakura, I did have it formatted to ext3 but I must have messed up something with the permissions, I couldn't get it to let me on by using chown like they told me to. After updating to 8.04 it worked like they said in the instructions.
You're right the sudo attempt is strange. In university we have prepared to restore the setup in less than 15 minutes since the user logon password also is the sudo password.
I suggest not doing an update, it will require manual work to get the 3D desktop running (which is set up automatically with a fresh install when you have an NVIDIA card installed)