DVDuesday with Kira

Discussion about games, books, movies, and your favorite songs.
Kira
Angel
Angel

DVDuesday with Kira

Post by Kira » March 9th, 2008, 10:05 pm

This Week's New releases For March 11, 2008:

No Country for Old Men - written and directed by Joel and Ethan Coen, starring Josh Brolin, Tommy Lee Jones, and Javier Bardem. Adapted from the Cormac McCarthy novel of the same name, No Country for Old Men tells the story of a drug deal gone wrong and the ensuing cat-and-mouse drama, as three men crisscross each other's paths in the desert landscape of 1980 West Texas.

Bee Movie

Dan in Real Life

August Rush

Hitman - based on the video game series of the same name.

Sleuth - A millionaire detective novelist matches wits with the unemployed actor who ran off with his wife in a deadly serious, seriously twisted game with dangerous consequences. Starring Michael Caine and Jude Law.

Nancy Drew - loosely based on the popular series of mystery novels about the titular teen detective. It stars Emma Roberts as Nancy Drew

Tin Man - a three-part television miniseries reimagining of L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. It gives the story a heavy science fiction/fantasy emphasis and gives only allusive references to most of the original story.

Appleseed EX Machina - is an anime film and is the sequel to the 2004 Appleseed film.

And For Kira's Pick of the week

Gattaca (Special Edition) - a 1997 science fiction drama film starring Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman and Jude Law

The film presents a biopunk vision of a society driven by new eugenics. Children of the middle and upper classes are selected through preimplantation genetic diagnosis to ensure they possess the best hereditary traits of their parents. A genetic registry database uses biometrics to instantly identify and classify those so created as valids while those conceived by traditional means are derisively known as faith births, god children and in-valids. While genetic discrimination is forbidden by law, in practice it is easy to profile one's genotype resulting in the Valids qualifying for professional employment while the In-Valids who are susceptible to disease are relegated to menial jobs.

The movie draws on concerns over reproductive technologies which facilitate eugenics, and the possible consequences of such technological developments for society. It also explores the theme of destiny and the ways in which it can and does govern lives. Characters in Gattaca continually battle both with society and with themselves to find their place in the world and who they are destined to be according to their genes.
You don't see yourself clearly at all. You're not like anyone I've ever known. You Fascinate me.

Kira
Angel
Angel

Re: DVDuesday with Kira

Post by Kira » March 11th, 2008, 8:43 pm

Don't forget Today is DVDuesday!
You don't see yourself clearly at all. You're not like anyone I've ever known. You Fascinate me.

agito_0291
Full Time Otaku
Full Time Otaku

Post by agito_0291 » March 14th, 2008, 2:08 am

hey kira I've got a question. What exactly is "No country for Old Men" about?

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » March 14th, 2008, 2:22 am

*Barber shop music plays*

Well I'm glad you ask about that thing, 'cause what I like to do sing a song about In rural Texas, welder and hunter Llewelyn Moss discovers the remains of several drug runners who have all killed each other in an exchange gone violently wrong. Rather than report the discovery to the police, Moss decides to simply take the two million dollars present for himself. This puts the psychopathic killer, Anton Chigurh, on his trail as he dispassionately murders nearly every rival, bystander and even employer in his pursuit of his quarry and the money. As Moss desperately attempts to keep one step ahead, the blood from this hunt begins to flow behind him with relentlessly growing intensity as Chigurh closes in. Meanwhile, the laconic Sherrif Ed Tom Bell blithely oversees the investigation even as he struggles to face the sheer enormity of the crimes he is attempting to thwart

agito_0291
Full Time Otaku
Full Time Otaku

Post by agito_0291 » March 14th, 2008, 6:32 pm

would you reccomend seeing it? I know it won alot of awards at the Oscars but It dosn't really look that great from the clips that I've seen.

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » March 14th, 2008, 7:44 pm

It is a Coen movie. Me personally, I love the Coen Brothers. They made Fargo, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, and The Big Lebowski. So if you liked those movie or like the coen brothers. You'll like this movie. Their movies deem to be slower pace and look at the human heart of a man, whether it be good or evil. It is interesting. To be honest, I would rank the the other mention movies above this one. Its a hard call. I would give it more of a Solid rent.

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » March 16th, 2008, 10:35 pm

Well its Sunday my friends, So that means Two days till... DVDuesday!!!

for March 18, 2008

I am Legend - A post-apocalyptic science fiction horror film starring Will Smith. It is the third feature film adaptation of Richard Matheson's 1954 novel of the same name, following 1964's The Last Man on Earth and 1971's The Omega Man. Smith plays virologist Robert Neville, who thinks he may be Earth's only surviving human not affected by a vicious man-made virus. He works to create a cure while living in a city inhabited by mutant victims of the airborne virus.

Atonement - Is film adaptation of Ian McEwan's critically acclaimed novel of the same name, starring James McAvoy and Keira Knightley.

Love in the Time of Cholera - directed by Mike Newell(Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire). Based on the novel of the same name by Gabriel Garcia Márquez, it tells the story of a love triangle between Fermina Daza (played by Giovanna Mezzogiorno) and her two suitors, Florentino Ariza (Javier Bardem) and Doctor Juvenal Urbino (Benjamin Bratt) which spans 50 years, from 1880 to 1930. The novel is good, but I give this a past.

Southland Tales - science fiction/drama/black comedy film. The title refers to the Southland, a name used by locals to refer to Southern California and Greater Los Angeles. Set in the near future of an alternate history, the film is a portrait of Los Angeles and a comment on the military-industrial news-tainment complex.

Revolver - written and directed by Guy Ritchie. The film stars Jason Statham as Jake Green, Ray Liotta as Dorothy Macha, and André Benjamin (a.k.a. "André 3000") as Avi. It centers around a revenge-seeking confidence trickster whose weapon is a universal formula that guarantees victory to its user, when applied to any game or confidence trick.

Battlestar Galactica - Season Three

That does it for this week in DVDuesday!

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » April 25th, 2008, 12:13 am

Okay Sorry I know I've been lagging on this.

DVDs for this week: (Not to many)

I highly recommend The Orphanage as a solid rent and Buy if you liked it. It is a Spanish film, so there is reading. a woman who returns to the orphanage where she stayed for a period as a child. She purchases the house, with plans to turn it into a home for disabled children. Everything seems to be going well for Laura, her husband Carlosand their son Simón. However, the parents soon realize their son has an imaginary friend and horror begins to unfold

Cloverfield: *sighs* I am not afraid to let it be known, that I did not care for this movie. J.J. claimed he wanted a good monster movie...he failed. This is a slap in the face to All Monster movies, especially Big G himself. this was nothing more than another over hype Transformers movie. Michel Bay and J.J need to lay off the movies. You are killing classics. Acting is just to Soap Opera. I didn't even care for the chars. The you hardly see the monsters which is a huge let down! Rent to just say you saw it... otherwise I say a solid pass! Burning five bucks in funnier

One Missed Call: A other one of your Japanese ripoff films like The Ring.

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » April 25th, 2008, 12:18 am

Guess I'll add last weeks for my Kira Pick of the week:

Juno.

Juno is a great film. Solid rent. As much as I liked this film. Its more a rent then buy. Its a good story, good sit and relax and enjoy yourself film. Chars are just to cool, funny, cute. I really don't wanna spoil anything. You have to rent this. Ellen Page and the rest of the cast are just amazing in it!

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » April 25th, 2008, 3:00 am

I loved The Orphanage. It's a really well executed movie that'll leave you thinking for days after you see it (at least my friends and I did). It's nice to see how spanish directors are rising, Pan's Labyrinth was good, too!
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!