What are you watching?

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
Sakura
Resident Kitty

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Sakura » June 1st, 2008, 4:51 pm

strike? Preemptive?
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

AJ_627

Post by AJ_627 » June 5th, 2008, 10:34 pm

come on, some American dub aren't that bad.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » June 11th, 2008, 3:02 pm

The voices are so so so so uncute compared to the original. I refused buying an anime DVD because they had no japanese soundtrack. There's not much to buy here anyways...

AJ_627

Post by AJ_627 » June 11th, 2008, 8:01 pm

Sakura wrote:The voices are so so so so uncute compared to the original. I refused buying an anime DVD because they had no japanese soundtrack. There's not much to buy here anyways...
Americans, what can you do :meh:

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » June 11th, 2008, 10:42 pm

Electing a democrat is a good start. :kiss:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » June 12th, 2008, 2:31 am

and have Obama for prez...........

Yes I think the Japanese voices are a lot cuter than most US voices....... Carrie Savage has a cute voice, Raca in Haibane Renmai, but I really don't like having to read sub titles, it distracts from watching the anime. And, there are a lot of characters that aren't supposed to sound cute, like in Cowboy Bumblebee.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

AJ_627

Post by AJ_627 » June 12th, 2008, 8:32 pm

Sakura wrote:Electing a democrat is a good start. :kiss:
amen to that (im voting for obama, again)

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » July 2nd, 2008, 3:37 pm

Well, I got to watch some very good anime last week. My boy picked out some good ones for me. I'll review some as I have time.

First

5cm per Second: By the people who did Voices of a Distant Star and Place Promised in our Early Days. Again it is a brilliant piece of work, the artwork is beautiful, the story is exceptional. It again centers around love and separation, time and distance, but this time without the scifi component of the first two. The story is in some ways happy, and in many heartbreaking. I have to get Dinky to watch this, she'll cry her eyes out. For a real and emotional story, I don't think you can find much better....... Highly recommended, suitable for all ages, though younger viewers may not get it.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » July 3rd, 2008, 12:19 am

I had my share of worries already and prefer the happy anime...

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » July 13th, 2008, 2:34 am

A happier anime...... This one is post apocalyptic but different than the desperate, downtrodden feeling of most of them, this one has a calmer and more hopeful feeling.

The Third, The Girl with the Blue Eye: With a little of the feeling of Kino's Journey, This is a very good story.
"One Girl. One Tank. No Problem.
In a devastated world overrun by monstrous bugs and ravaged by outlaws, there's only one person to call when you really need a job done right: Honoka. With a sixth sense for danger, sword skills that are second to none, and a smart-aleck A.I. tank by the name of Bogie, she's ready to tackle any job and solve any problem for her clients. But while crossing the desert one night, she finds a young man alone in the wasteland. It's the first step of a journey that will challenge even Honoka's amazing skills to their very limit!"

Honoka is a freelance "jack of all trades" who will do anything, short of killing another human, to earn a living. She lives in a land that is mostly desert, and ruled by an advanced race with a third eye. These rulers keep a close reighn over the humans with a ban on advancing any technology. Honoka saves a gentle young stranger, Iks, while on one of her missions. He winds up hiring her to show him all about the world, by taking him on her missions. Iks is a mysterious character who comes and goes through the series. There are a series of adventures, and happiness and sadness, but in the end it is up to young Honoka to save us all from the fate that we brought on ourselves.

24 episodes, good animation, a bit of mild romance, plenty of scifi, just enough humor, a story that keeps you interested till the end. I recommend this one.