Anime/Manga recommendations

All information, praise, and rants about Anime and Manga goes here.
Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Re: Anime/Manga recommendations

Post by Hiki » December 26th, 2012, 9:51 am

Madoka is very awesome :D
There will be three films of it as well :) 2 are already out, but describe the events in the series (or so I'm told), and the third will be out somewhere in 2013 with an all new story (or something like that).
Don't feed me violins.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » January 28th, 2013, 4:16 am

On my travels, I got to watch some anime on my video player. It's 2 inch screen is like watching a postage stamp, but it's what I've got to go with. I watched a couple very old monster anime 'Cybernetics Guardian" and "Genocyber the Collection". Neither of them would make a "must see" list, but Genocyber was not too bad.

"Popotan: A cute story of three sister, they are on a quest that carries them and their maid on jumps through time. Each time their house materializes, years have passed and in the time they spend in the present, they meat friends, who they must leave when they again jump across the years. What is their quest and what problems are caused when they leave friends behind? It's a nice story, with a bit of fanservice and nudity, I didn't find it offensive, the stories of each girl are cute and touching. There's no violence, ok there is a bit of a fight between the android maid and the mysterious man, but it's nothing much, and no sexual situations. I wouldn't say this is aimed at children, but maybe a mild R rating. I'd give it a four out of five kitty paws rating.

Gunslinger Girl II, Teatrino: Once again, something so wrong makes such a compelling story. I think the first series was a bit better than this one. The first series delved deeper into the relation between the girls and their handlers. This one does center around the girls feelings, but spends a lot more time on the lives and motivations of the "bad guys". This anime is high on violence so it really isn't for everyone. There is no fanservice or sex. The closest thing to romance is the girl's desire for the approval and "big brother" type love of their handlers. Four out of five paws.

Children Who Chase Lost Voices: This is by the people who did Voices of a distant Star, and 5 centimeters per second. This one really reminds me of a Miyazaki anime. Asuna is a schoolgirl who's father has died and who's mother spends most of her time at work. Asuna has a hideout in a cave above the city where she uses a crystal radio to tune into a strange and haunting music. Little dose she know that she soon will be pulled into a mysterious underground world with mythical beasts, and unimaginable danger. But in this beautiful land, it is believed even the dead can be brought back to life. Is there someone Asuna would want to have returned from the dead? If so, what is the cost? There is violence and adventure in this anime, no fanservice or sex. I would rate this anime suitable for most children of grade-school age and older. If you like Shinkai's earlier work and if you Like Miyazaki's anime's, you'll probably like this one. Five out of Five paws.

I re-watched Chance Pop Session, if you like "feel good" anime, stories of reaching for a dream and, even though the path if strewn with adversity, finding more than you could ever have dreamed possible. You'll like this one. Three young girls, from different backgrounds, destinies are tied together by their dream of becoming a pop star and by the blue jewel that each of them has. No sex, no fanservice and no violence, just a heartwarming story.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » January 28th, 2013, 11:00 pm

Oldwrench, do you watch any anime on Crunchyroll? If so I think there is a series that you might like on there. It is in a similar vain to Spice and Wolf.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » February 26th, 2013, 4:56 am

I finished the series Claymore. This is a pretty good series, but really not for everyone. It doesn't have fanservice or adult content, but is very heavy on violence.
The premise is that the world is plagued by Yoma, monsters that feed on humans. The only hope of defeating them lay with the Claymores, human-yoma hybrids. They are the only ones with the strength and speed to defeat the monsters. The story follows Clare, the lowest ranked of the Claymores. But there is more to the angst ridden woman than appears. There are questions about the organization she works for, are they actually working for the good of all humanity?
26 episodes, 650 minutes, english dub and subtitles, the artwork is good and a good soundtrack. It's a very dark and violent story, but very human in its emotions. Supernatural fantacy action, historical drama.
I'd give it 4 kitten paws, a good watchable story.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » July 18th, 2013, 5:32 am

If you haven't seen Stein's Gate, you should check it out. It's probably the most interesting and different time travel series I've seen. There are a lot of twists and turns, plenty of surprises along the way. It's another series that I'm just going to have to buy because I could rewatch it several times and still find things I missed.

Plot Summary: Rintaro Okabe is a self-proclaimed "mad scientist" who believes that an international scientific organization named SERN is conspiring to reshape the world according to its own interests. He and his friend Itaru Hashida inadvertently create a gadget able to send messages to the past. The discovery and experimentation of this instrument become the catalyst of fundamental alterations to the present. Okabe is the only one aware of these changes because he possesses a Reading Steiner, the ability to retain the memories from previous experienced timelines. Oblivious of the consequences of their actions, Rintaro and his friends end up creating modifications of grievous proportions. He must then try to find a way to return as close as possible to the original timeline in order to save his precious lab partners.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » July 28th, 2013, 6:51 am

yande.re 257865 hashida_itaru kimiya_ryousuke makise_kurisu okabe_rintarou shiina_mayuri steins;gate trap urushibara_luka (Large).jpg
yande.re 257866 amane_suzuha faris_nyanyan hashida_itaru kiryu_moeka makise_kurisu megane okabe_rintarou pantyhose sakai_kyuuta shiina_mayuri steins;gate trap (Large).jpg
yande.re 257867 makise_kurisu okabe_rintarou pantyhose sakai_kyuuta shiina_mayuri steins;gate (Large).jpg
yande.re 257868 kimiya_ryousuke makise_kurisu okabe_rintarou pantyhose sakai_kyuuta shiina_mayuri steins;gate (Large).jpg
yande.re 257864 dress makise_kurisu okabe_rintarou pantyhose sakai_kyuuta shiina_mayuri steins;gate (Large).jpg
Some artwork done for Stein's Gate.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » July 28th, 2013, 6:54 am

yande.re 257873 makise_kurisu sakai_kyuuta shiina_mayuri steins;gate (Large).jpg
yande.re 257872 makise_kurisu okabe_rintarou pantyhose sakai_kyuuta steins;gate (Large).jpg
yande.re 257871 makise_kurisu okabe_rintarou pantyhose sakai_kyuuta steins;gate (Large).jpg
yande.re 257870 hashida_itaru kimiya_ryousuke makise_kurisu okabe_rintarou pantyhose sakai_kyuuta shiina_mayuri steins;gate (Large).jpg
yande.re 257869 hashida_itaru makise_kurisu okabe_rintarou pantyhose sakai_kyuuta shiina_mayuri steins;gate (Large).jpg

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » July 28th, 2013, 6:56 am

yande.re 257877 maid makise_kurisu pantyhose sakai_kyuuta steins;gate thighhighs (Large).jpg
yande.re 257876 makise_kurisu pantyhose sakai_kyuuta shiina_mayuri steins;gate (Large).jpg
yande.re 257875 faris_nyanyan maid makise_kurisu sakai_kyuuta steins;gate (Large).jpg
yande.re 257874 amane_suzuha makise_kurisu sakai_kyuuta steins;gate (Large).jpg

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » October 15th, 2013, 5:51 am

Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl:

Plot Summary: Makoto Niwa is a high school boy who, since his parents are away on business, lives with his aunt’s family. It is there he meets his mysterious cousin of the same age Erio Touwa—who happens to tie a futon around her upper body and is a self-proclaimed alien. Her staple food is pizza. Erio had been missing for half a year and was found floating in the sea. She doesn't remember anything about what happened during that period of time, but she began to think that it was the act of an alien and wanders the neighbourhood wrapped in the futon.

A weird and funny anime. The aunt is the most moe 39 year old in any anime I know of. Makoto is a very typical highschool boy, Erio is one strangely messed up girl, and the girls he meets in his class are a bit strange too. The character design is very good and the backgrounds are excellent. It's subtitled, not dubbed. I have a bit of trouble keeping up with the reading but it's worth the trouble.

Check it out

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 11th, 2014, 6:54 am

I started a new one my son gave me...... Sankarea, Undying Love. It's about Zombies...... I'll report more when I watch more of it, so fare, it's really good. But maybe not what you'd expect. A high school boy, Furuya, is obsessed with zombies, and when his cat dies, he uses an abandoned building as a laboratory to try to reanimate the kitty. There he meets a beautiful, and extremely rich girl, Rea, with a terrible secret about her family life. They become friends and when she tries to get close to him, he tells her he could never be interested in a girl, unless....... she was a zombie. This could make things interesting. How is Rea going to get closer to Furuya, and how is she going to solve her problems at home?