News topic

Discussion about games, books, movies, and your favorite songs.
Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Re: News topic

Post by Zeratul2k » June 11th, 2009, 12:10 am

Actually, that's a movie, so Dinky is right. And yes, Monthy Python And The Holy Grail is one of the best movies of all time.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » June 11th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Zeratul2k wrote:Actually, that's a movie, so Dinky is right. And yes, Monthy Python And The Holy Grail is one of the best movies of all time.
You guys with your facts and logic ruining all my fun. :pif:
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » June 13th, 2009, 3:09 pm

Okay. All political issues aside....
For those of you Americans on here, let me just ask:
So, Letterman made a joke about the Palins. He referred to the Yankees game they attended with their daughter and said "and in the seventh inning, their daughter was knocked up by Alex Rodriguez". The problem? They attended with their 14 year old daughter Willow, not their 18 year old daughter Bristol.
My question: would it really have made that joke okay if Bristol was the daughter that had attended the game? I still find it offensive (with no political slant whatsoever). Just the thought of someone making a crack like that about a (barely) legal teenager- for the simple fact that she screwed up and got pregnant as a teen- makes me cringe. How is that okay?
Thoughts?
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » June 13th, 2009, 4:20 pm

There is a line that even political satire shouldn't cross. That is getting into personal issues that should be left alone. Humor in this country has gone below being in the gutter, and that's so low it would have to climb a ladder to scratch a snakes belly.

I don't really mind some adult humor, and it is late night television, but that is getting to be a personal attack against several people.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » June 17th, 2009, 2:21 am

Internet Censorship in Germany: next China? http://netzpolitik.org/2009/the-dawning ... n-germany/
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » June 17th, 2009, 7:01 am

I say no!! Down with it! The government needs to get their fingers out of our personal lives!!!!!!!! :omg:
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » June 17th, 2009, 8:54 pm

News from latin-america: Peru says it may revoke laws after Amazon clashes: http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssIndu ... 0520090615

P.D.
I usually post a lot of news on my Twitter and Plurk account, most of them related to Open Source, security and IT, but stuff like this as well. If everyone it's ok with it, I can post everything here as well.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » June 18th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Zeratul2k wrote:Internet Censorship in Germany: next China? http://netzpolitik.org/2009/the-dawning ... n-germany/
Very fortunately our government is absolutely illiterate concerning anything technically superior to 1970's typewriters or "Word 95 for blondes" (a.k.a. pencil)
All they're planning to do is forcing ISP's to replace domains in their DNS systems with those of a STOP website hosted by the BKA. (german's version of FBI) People surfing a blocked website are registered and their homes might be target of a house search "to secure evidence".
Gladly every netizen (it's us who live here for a decade - the net is our home - we'll outsmart them in ascending powers - and... no there r no tubes on teh intarweb) knows how to circumvent these superficially planned "censorship". On the contrary I'm very interested in the sites which are going to be blocked. You can find out if a site is blocked by comparing the IP address from your ISP with the result of an independent ISP's DNS server. I bet it'll take only weeks and we'll find domains like "CDUsucks.de" (CDU is the republicans of germany) and "downloadfreemp3.de" (sponsored by the music industry) on that list. Not to forget "FightCensorship.de." Especially the last one.

It's like trying to scare away a bunch of mice by scattering several pounds of cheese in your basement. Or getting rid of cats by growing catnip in your garden. Meow!! *starts hunting her own tail*
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » June 18th, 2009, 6:24 pm

Exactly. There are already several projects for Tor-like networks to circumvent these so-called protections (like Bitblinder to anonymize BitTorrent downloads, for example).

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » June 19th, 2009, 2:23 am

More on Internet Censorship, interesting read: http://wikileaks.org/wiki/The_coming_ag ... censorship

And here we have (yet another) RIAA case in which the defendant was found guilty and charged to pay the completely fair (yeah, right) amount of... *drums roll* ... USD 80.000 per song: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-102681 ... 7-1_3-0-20