WHY!!!

Discussion about games, books, movies, and your favorite songs.
Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Re: WHY!!!

Post by Dinky » February 24th, 2009, 3:38 am

Hmmm... I'm going to go ahead and say I infinitely preferred Heath Ledger's Joker to Jack Nicholson's. JN's was good for what it was, but not psychotic evil enough for me. HL did a very fine job in the role, and I was thoroughly spooked out by his unpredictable and creepifying character come to life on the big screen. I'm not a big Batman fan, but I've seen all the movies. 'Dark Knight' was my favorite, despite the fact that I despise whatsis-name who played Batman (totally fell out of my brain at the moment) and Maggie Gyllenhall as Rachel. Not good. Oh well. HL made up for it for me.
But as for the Oscars, I can't say if his win was deserved or not, because I didn't see any of the other movies that were in that category. At least, I don't think I did. I've never watched the Oscars in my life...
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » February 24th, 2009, 4:11 am

My List
Batman
Batman Begins
Dark Knight
Batman (60's movie)
Batman Forever
Batman Returns
Batman and Robin

Yes I am a huge fan the 60s show as well

My Joker rank
JN
Mark Hamil
Cesar Romero (Gotta love the stache)
HL
You don't see yourself clearly at all. You're not like anyone I've ever known. You Fascinate me.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » February 25th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Kira wrote:Okay I'm sorry but the film and comic purist in me is about to rant.

Dark Knight: Good movie? Yes. A comic Book movie? No. If you took out Batman and Joker and replaced them, you still have the same movie.

As far as Comic Book movies goes. Iron Man was the best! OMG! RDJ is Tony Stark! This truly was a fanboy dream come true! If your going to nominate a comic book movie, than Iron Man should have been in the race!

Joker! Joker! Joker! Please me something else about Dark Knight besides Joker! You can't! Thats all people talk about!

I'm a huge Batman fan but I'm sorry. I feel Batman Begins was robbed! This wasn't my Joker, this wasn't Bob Kane's Joker. My Joker and Bob Kane's Joker is still Jack Nicholson.
HL won for best supporting actor, not best comic book movie. This is where your rant falls apart.
You can't compare it to Iron man and say he should not have won. You would have to compare him top Cuba Gooding jr. and said that CGJ should have won. (Which I would not agree with.) He won because he did an amazing job playing the part of the joker.

One of the other things that you need to relise is that the new Batman movies are being potraied as more "real life" ie it could happen in in reality, and less comic book fantasy. (Dropping a bad guy in toxic chemicals makes him a super vilian)
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » February 26th, 2009, 9:25 am

But see this is way, Gah! See I'm glad Marvel now has Marvel Stuidos, they say screw the rest of the movie goers, Fans wanna see their char.

I'm sorry, but to me this wasn't HL best performance. He did start out in Australia was making tons of great movies, America caught on and made him a "pretty boy" actor which really hurt him and caused to really prove himself in the US.

I honesty don't think it was that great acting-wise. JN had a lot of energy and worked with it. HL was way to stiff for me.

Sorry I could really drive my point but I'm to pissed, tired, hurt, and bitter right now.
You don't see yourself clearly at all. You're not like anyone I've ever known. You Fascinate me.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » February 27th, 2009, 2:20 am

Sorry I could really drive my point but I'm to pissed, tired, hurt, and bitter right now.[/quote]
Why?? :hmm:
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » February 27th, 2009, 4:11 am

He didn't have to do good.

Just better than the other nominees. Who do you think should have won?

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » February 27th, 2009, 8:19 pm

Dinky wrote:Sorry I could really drive my point but I'm to pissed, tired, hurt, and bitter right now.
Why?? :hmm:[/quote]
I had just came home that night, I had started at 1pm that day and didn't get out till 1am! 12 hours! plus when I came home I kinda found something out that really stung me.

@Elvin: Dude! RDJ for topical thunder...which okay please explain! he gets nominated for Tropical Thunder but not for Tony Stark/Iron Man?! Explain that to me.

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » February 28th, 2009, 3:41 am

I agree that he was brilliant in playing his role in tropic thunder, but in terms of raw acting, Heath had more opportunities to flaunt his drama skills than RDJ. Heath had a more powerful proformance of the two, and I guess that's what people value more.

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » February 28th, 2009, 8:52 am

But thats just it, Heath was already a great dramatic actor in Australia, comes here to the U.S. and he pretty much to start back up again, he had already won brokeback mountain.

I'm sorry, as an actor, the Char (joker aside) the char, the man, he was playing/portraying isn't that hard. Like I said, go back and watch Batman, JN was way more raw!

agito_0291
Full Time Otaku
Full Time Otaku

Post by agito_0291 » March 8th, 2009, 5:40 pm

Here I'll have to disagree with you. I feel that Heath Ledger earned the Oscar. What you are doing is comparing different jokers. The traditional joker, which is what Jack Nickolson portrayed, is but one joker, albeit the traditional portrayal of him. Heath Ledger's Joker was something different, something that we haven't seen before. This joker was meant to disgust us, he was meant to be more real than the joker of the comic. And in this he did not disappoint. That is what he got the Oscar for. Not because he did a good job of playing the joker, for which you can argue for eternity about, but for bringing us something new. Something we didn't expect to see in the Joker yet still thrilled us.