THE DEATHLY HALLOWS DISCUSSION (SPOILERS)

Discussion about games, books, movies, and your favorite songs.
Kira
Angel
Angel

Re: THE DEATHLY HALLOWS DISCUSSION (SPOILERS)

Post by Kira » August 1st, 2007, 10:09 pm

Dinky wrote:...I guess my biggest beef with HP is that it is so incredibly hyped by the majority as being so incredible, when really it's nothing more than an interesting story that happened to come out at the right time and get the attention of the right people. I know someone who took a college (!) class on the HP books!!!!! I was shocked and unhappy about that, because the writing, the complexity, etc is NOT worthy of a college-level class! It's interesting to study the phenomenon of the popularity--like the Beatles in music (good, but were they really THAT good?)
I can see that you and I could have a good rap about a lot of things.

Really? A Potter class? and Beatles...To be honest I never understood the Beatles, I'm more a Elvis man myself, lol. But its like you said, right time... The Beatles were young fresh, new, British, lol. So girls went nuts over that. But if you look back at everything that is consider the "greatest" isn't really all that great. It was just the time and age. I read LOTRs before the movies as well...its good, but way too much detail...lol. A whole chapter on just the way the grass looks and feels, lol.

I think I'm going to start a thread, about my thoughts on Pop. Culture...Maybe call it Kira's Rap.
I've been wanting to write my own articles...I like that Kira's Articles. lol. Getting idea for first article. nothing else to do being stuck in a hospital bed. lol
You don't see yourself clearly at all. You're not like anyone I've ever known. You Fascinate me.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » August 3rd, 2007, 7:21 am

Hmmm... I guess I'm a detail person. The more I love something, the more I want to know about it. I think I own almost every book on something to do with LOTR...all the lost tales, Tolkien's world, even a compendium of creatures of Middle Earth
....pathetic, but what can you do?....
Still stuck in a hospital bed? :sob: That really sux!
Start a Kira's Articles! I'd be a loyal reader!
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » August 3rd, 2007, 7:25 am

lol, yeah I emailed Sakura about it, she making me a section on the old AAW. Thanks Dinky, but yeah, sadly, I won't make it to the chat tomorrow. Doc wants to try something new, so it'll take all afternoon going into Saturday... Kinda scared. But value all your prayers. Thanks everyone, I know that once this all done, I come out with my old Cool Hand Luke smile of mine, lol. :thumb:
You don't see yourself clearly at all. You're not like anyone I've ever known. You Fascinate me.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » August 3rd, 2007, 7:34 am

Eeesh...good luck to you tomorrow! I won't make it to the chat, either, but I'll be thinking about you!

Ntoonz
Fan
Fan

Post by Ntoonz » August 3rd, 2007, 2:48 pm

Dinky wrote:Hmmm... I guess I'm a detail person. The more I love something, the more I want to know about it. I think I own almost every book on something to do with LOTR...all the lost tales, Tolkien's world, even a compendium of creatures of Middle Earth
....pathetic, but what can you do?....
Still stuck in a hospital bed? :sob: That really sux!
Start a Kira's Articles! I'd be a loyal reader!
30 years ago, the craze for LOTR merchandise was at least as big as the HP craze is now. My older brother had all of the books, of course, as well as the calendars, posters, notebooks with different types of runes in them. We were even needlepointing LOTR related things to give him for birthday gifts (book covers, pillows, etc.).
Licensed online comic macquettes! Get 'em at http://www.ntoonz.com

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » August 3rd, 2007, 3:41 pm

Was that 30 years? wow..... I remember the star wars craze of the 70's.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » August 3rd, 2007, 4:09 pm

K...I missed both those crazes...but it does bug me now after the LOTR movies that people will be so into the movies and never dream of picking up the books! So I decided not to hypocrytical myself and watch the HP movies and not read the books.
But I still say HP makes better movies than books!
Unfortunately, the Star Wars hype was a whoooooooole lot bigger than those last (or first, whatever you want to call the new ones) installments could carry. YIKES were they bad!
:omg:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » August 3rd, 2007, 5:24 pm

Best was still the first movie, episode 4. It was such a great adventure movie, great fun for the family.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » August 5th, 2007, 12:46 am

How can can you forget Empire! That is the best of the best in all of the Star Wars series, plus Lucas didn't even touch, So that made it even more better (Bad grammar, looks for Freya with spelling baka stick)

Freya
Otaku Leader
Otaku Leader

Post by Freya » August 8th, 2007, 12:28 am

Yeah. all in all. it was a good close to the harry potter series. no big deal, life moves on.

*Goes to make a review thread for general*
“Here’s the thing… I’ve already gone crazy once. I know what my limits are.” ~ Bella Swan