Anime/Manga recommendations

All information, praise, and rants about Anime and Manga goes here.
oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: Anime/Manga recommendations

Post by oldwrench » May 24th, 2015, 4:03 am

You would probably like it JH. The style reminds me of Nabashin's "Wallflower".
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » June 5th, 2015, 4:01 am

Just watched Miyazaki's "From up on Poppy Hill". A gentile and sweet story set in the early 1960's. A coming of age story of a highschool boy and girl. Against a background of hope and change, Umi and Shun's friendship blossoms but a secret buried in their past casts a shadow over their new found feelings and threatens to tear them apart.

If you want action, suspense and conflict........ forget it, but if you enjoy a heart tugging story, this is a good one.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » October 5th, 2015, 2:37 am

I watched two animes in the last week.

Trigun, Badlands Rumble: Twenty years have passed since Vash the Stampede allowed the notorious bad man, Gasback to escape his double crossing gang. But now, the outlaw is back, to take out his revenge on the double crossers. He has a new gang, and a body guard for hire named Wolfwood. But Gasback isn't the only one out for revenge. A tough desert rose named Amelia id out to get Gasback, but she'll have to beat out the hundreds of bounty hunters who have come to town to claim the bounty on the outlaw. One tall man, with blond hair and a red coat might be the only hope to avert total chaos. But, between doughnuts, insurance girls and the lovely Amelia, will he keep his head long enough to save the town?

137 minutes. dvd or blue ray. Great animation and a good dub with the original cast. If you enjoyed the original series with it's great action and comedy, you'll like this movie.

Heavens Memo Pad: you need to watch this...... it's the "NEET" thing to do. (Not Employed, being Educated, or in Training) Narumi Fugishima is one of those students who just don't fit in, and is becoming more isolated as time goes on. But he isn't alone, Ayaka, the sole member of the gardening club, drags him in as a new member and soon introduces him to her friends at the Ramen Shop. Above the shop, Narumi enters a whole new world, the world of the NEET, and of the enigmatic Alice, the NEET detective. Narumi finds himself drafted into the elite group of NEETs assisting Alice as they battle gangs, thieves, murderers and drug lords. Here Narumi will find his life changed forever....... but, can he survive.

325 minutes, 12 episodes, excelent artwork by Kishida Mel (I like his style) I have wide screen on DVD, 2channel audio, English dub and subtitles. TV14 rating.

Engaging stories and characters, and nice artwork, I recommend this one for those who like mystery and adventure.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » October 27th, 2015, 9:56 am

From up to Poppy Hill sounds just like my story since I love To Heart. Heavens Memo Pad sounds nice, too. Thanks for the recommendations.

By the way, the "Petite chef" is very cute. I hope he's well after that explosion... :pat:
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » July 30th, 2016, 4:56 am

Just finished an interesting, if rather adult, comedy. Not recommended for those under 18, it is quite funny and worth a look.

B Gata H Kei - Yamada's First Time: Yamada is starting high school and her main goal for her school years is to have sex with 100 boys. there is one little problem, to attain her goal, she has to get past the first one. Yamada is a beauty,and has no shortage of prospects, but she's afraid to go out with an experienced boy who might realize she is inexperienced. She has a plan though, find a "cherry boy" someone plain enough that he hasn't been able to find a girlfriend. She settles on a boy from the photo club, Takashi Kosuda. He'll certainly be eager to get it on with a hot girl like Yamada...... right? Well, between the very nice, and a bit shy, Kosuda, and Yamada's inexperience and hangups.......... Ok, I won't tell. Throw in a few friends, The pretty rich girl, her hot older brother, and lots of high school situations, and you have a sweet, sexy comedy.
TVMA rated for adult situations, mild nudity, and adult language. 12 episodes, subbed and English dubbed. http://www.funimation.com/shows/yamadas ... h-kei/home

Highschool wasn't like this when I was in school.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » September 4th, 2016, 10:26 am

It's hard to get your kitty paws on a decent anime nowadays since Animesuki is gone. The German stuff is inacceptabe, the translation is horrible (as is the English one!)
The only stuff I get is Ghibli, of course due to the quality. Are there any fansubs still out there?
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » September 5th, 2016, 4:30 am

If you can get it, animenewsnetwork streams a lot of anime. Mostly English dub or subs.
Crunchyroll is another good site for streaming.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » September 12th, 2016, 8:52 pm

Watched another pretty good anime movie last night. Colorful....... not the old one that was all about fanservice, This one was done in 2010 by director Keiichi Hara, based on a novel by Eto Mori.

Colorful: After death, not all souls are ready to continue on. One unready soul is to get a second chance, a test. Rather than be reborn, this soul will waken in the body of a 14 year old suicide victim, the schoolboy Makoto Kobayashi. But while trying to fit into Makoto's former life, the soul must unravel two mysteries or be forever lost. It must find the secret of the great sin it committed in it's previous life, and also the reasons that led to Makoto's suicide. Truth isn't always black and white, and the soul finds there are many shades and many colors so that even the most obvious of facts aren't always what they seem. Will the soul find the answer to the mysteries as it's time runs out, or will it be forever lost?

About 126 minutes, TV14 rating Wide screen 5.1 dolby sound, in English and Japanese dub with English subs.

If you like "soul searching" (pun intended) life lesson type stories, this will interest you. What kind of boy was Makoto? What kind of home did he have? What drove him to take his own life? what kind of soul would be thrust into such a situation, and what terrible sin has it to pay for? What will be it's ultimate fate? And what of Makoto's fate? Greg Ayers is a great voice for Makoto, and the rest of the English dub is excellent work. Check it out, it's interesting.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » December 13th, 2016, 5:41 am

Just finished the Hell Girl series, three seasons. I'll post more on it later, getting to late for us old geezers right now.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » December 15th, 2016, 3:38 am

If you have grievance against someone, someone who has done a terrible wrong against you. If you are suffering and can no longer bear it, there is one that can come to your aid. At the stroke of midnight, access the internet site "Hell Link", type the name of your antagonist into the provided space and hit enter....... You will be taken to Hell Girl. She will send your cursed directly to hell, but, curses come home to roost........

This is a long series, three seasons. Each episode is a stand alone story, but is leading into an overall story arc. The stories cover many grievances, often merited and as the series progresses, more and more seem wrong and not merited. It is all leading to the underlying story line. There is a lot of psychological intrigue in the stories as the use of the hell link gets totally out of hand. Can someone stop it?

Very nice art work, and overall, good story lines. The series gets a bit long and it seems perhaps there are more episodes than are needed, and some of the episodes made me feel they were being unfair..... interesting, it's just a story.....

I think it's well worth watching, the background story comes together very well in the third season, leading to a satisfying conclusion.