Anime/Manga recommendations

All information, praise, and rants about Anime and Manga goes here.
oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: Anime/Manga recommendations

Post by oldwrench » May 22nd, 2014, 4:55 am

Was at my son's house yesterday, I saw two more anime. (He now has over 4500 dvds of anime) I saw a couple episodes of Girls und Panzer, it appears to be a really fun anime. Schoolgirls having competitions with tanks. Non-violent violence? I want to see more of this. The Tanks are copied from actual tanks, and the art work is pretty good.

Plot Summary: In this world, Sensha-do (戦車道), the art of tank-combat, is a traditional Japanese martial art for girls. Miho, a girl who just transfered into the Ōrai Girls' Academy in Ibaraki Prefecture, has been ordered by the academy's student council chairperson to join the school team and compete in the national Sensha-do championships.

I also saw the movie Wolf Children.
Plot Summary: Hana is a 19-year-old student who falls in a "fairy-tale like" love with a "wolf man". Over the course of the 13-year story Hana gives birth to two children—older sister Yuki, and younger brother Ame, or "Snow and Rain". At first the family quietly lives in city trying to hide their wolf heritage, but when the "wolf man" suddenly dies Hana makes the decision to move to a rural town, far from their previous city life.
From the director of Summer Wars, this is a touching and personal slice of life story about a young woman and her trials after falling in love with a man who is also half wolf. Raising the two children all alone, and dealing with their problems growing up makes a very nice story. Should they live as humans, or as wolves? This is a non violent movie. No fanservice, but the relation between Hana and young man is well done.
I think Sakura would give this a thumbs up rating.

http://wolfchildrenmovie.com/
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » August 17th, 2014, 6:59 am

I got to see the rest of Girls und Panzer, it's a lot of fun and even gets into some rather obscure and forgotten old tanks. It's one of those stories about the underdog. The girls have a lot of disadvantages, but they have to win the national tournament........ or there will be dire consequences. It's a real test of courage, friendship and resolve.

We watched another good one, Kotuora-san, Haruka Kotoura is a girl with the curse of esp. Since she was little, she has been able to hear and see the thoughts of others around her. Her ability has caused her nothing but pain and loss, causing her to withdraw and avoid contact with others around her.
Watching the first fifteen minutes you would never guess that this anime is, overall, a comedy.
Little Haruka is starting high-school. She is determined to avoid any friendships or connections, till she runs into Manabe, a boy who is determined to win her friendship, and later, joins a club, one devoted to proving that esp is real.
There are plenty of adventures....... Manabe tends to have frequent erotic fantacies, embarassing Haruka, and the president of the esp club has her own agenda and is using Haruka for her own purposes.......... What secrets will come out, and will the little group be able to stay together, Haruka is afraid it will all turn into heartache like it always has for her before.
It's only 13 episodes, subtitled, and both hilariously funny, and heart warming. Just wait till you meet Haruka's grandfather, he's worse than Manabe..........
Ah well, Check it out, I think you all would like it. We watched it on CrunchyRoll online since ti hasn't been produced here.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... p?id=14722

One other that we watched several episodes, Tonari no Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time, Another one we watched online, subtitled only. It's a fun comedy.
In the middle of class at a certain school, Rumi Yokoi, a diligent student, has her in-class life turned upside-down when her next-door desk mate "Seki" (full name Toshinari Seki) begins to play by himself at his desk in class. Although Yokoi is irked by Seki's distracting yet intricate playtime, she finds herself being drawn into his interesting hobby. Never being able to focus, Yokoi observes Seki's stunning ways of slacking off in class.
They are very short episodes, lots of fun, check them out if you have time.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » March 1st, 2015, 5:49 am

If you haven't seen Tonari no Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time, it's on crunchyroll and you can watch it for free. THe episodes are only about 8 minutes and very funny.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » March 11th, 2015, 7:08 pm

Mreoww I'm still in Germany and cannot see any of that "licensed-in-the-us" stuff.

Even our cats are licensed and Sally turned from a luxurary cat to some "European short-haired" who just seem to eat my socks. Didn't she just?

Still, she's sooo cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute *drools*
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » March 14th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Can't you watch things on crunchyroll, I thought anyone with internet access could. it's free if you put up with advertising. You can pay for premium service.

The site has a German language option.

According to their forum, only about half the anime on the site is available for viewing in Germany...... that's still a lot but it seems draconian German copyrite laws are a pain.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » March 16th, 2015, 4:03 pm

Actually Crunchyroll is region locked so they cannot alway watch the same shows as us here in the US. Interestingly enough one of the shows that they can watch over there that we cannot watch over here is the third season of Dog Day's. I have had to resort to... less then legal means to be able to watch it.

I still enjoy the show, but the third season has a little to much fanservice for my taste for this type of show.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » March 19th, 2015, 4:45 am

Another good recommendation

The Garden of Words: Another great anime from Makoto Shinkai, creator of 5cm Per Second and Voices of a Lost Star. It's an interesting slice of life anime. High School boy, Takao, Dreams of becoming a shoe designer, One rainy day he skips school and goes to a ggarden to sketch ideas. There he meets Yukino, a young woman who's life seems adrift. She may be older, but not wiser than Takao and their relationship grows in chance meetings, in the garden, on rainy days. But the rainy season is coming to an end, and there is still so much unsaid and undone. What will blossom in the Garden of Words?

46 minutes 16:9 wide screen English dub or English subtitle

I'd give it a high rating for animation and story line, no violence or fanservice

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 10th, 2015, 11:02 pm

The Wind Rises: by Hayao Miyazaki and studio Ghibli.

Another great story from studio Ghibli. It appears to be semi historical. Set in the time shortly before world war two. It follows the life of a young man, Jiro, who dreams of flying beautiful airplanes, but he is nearsighted and cannot qualify as a pilot. He decides to put his love of aircraft into designing beautiful planes. In his derams he is inspired by the Italian designer Caproni. He becomes one of the premier designers in Japan as WWII approaches. The story has great artwork and the aircraft are beautifully detailed and rendered.

Ok, you didn't think you were going to get through the story without a love story involved, did you? Jiro meets a young girl on his way to his university, and an earthquake brings them time together. Well you have to watch it to see how their lives are entwined in happiness and tragedy.

127 minutes, DVD and Blue Ray, Rated PG-13, A must see for you Miyazaki fans.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 17th, 2015, 6:41 am

My son was here and we watched another good anime series. It was only 12 episodes but very humorous.

Watamote: [ adapted from No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular! (manga)]
Tomoko Kuroki is starting her first year of highschool and looks forward to good times and popularity, maybe even a boyfriend.......... but after three months, she realizes she hasn't talked to anyone. But Tomoko is determined to become popular, the problem is she's so painfully shy she can't say a word, even when someone greets her. Poor Tomoko seems an only an inch away from a total breakdown. The excellent voice actress, Monica Rial plays the English part to perfection. You will be torn between feeling sorry for the poor girl and laughing because she brings it all on herself.

I think we all have known this girl somewhere in our lives. Watch it, you'll like it.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » May 21st, 2015, 11:15 pm

I have only see the first episode of that show. I should try watching a few more episodes to see if I can get into it.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.