Anime/Manga recommendations

All information, praise, and rants about Anime and Manga goes here.
JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Re: Anime/Manga recommendations

Post by JHawkNH » August 27th, 2012, 5:10 pm

You will definiately have to tell me what you think of the ending when you get to it Oldwrench.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » September 4th, 2012, 12:24 am

High School of the Dead.
I'm sure I've posted that somewhere before, but still, good stuff. Zombies. Need I say more? Oh- lots of fan service, too, if you're into that. Anyway, I liked it and wish there was another season.
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » September 12th, 2012, 6:18 am

Well, I couldn't make it out of best buy without a new anime. Their anime selection is now almost non existent. Well, I bought the Ghibli, Disney movie The Secret World of Arrietty. Another rather charming family movie from Hayao Miyazaki. Based on the the novel, The Borrowers, the story is about Arrietty, a young borrower girl. Living with her mother and father beneath the floor of a house in the country. But, Arrietty is seen by Shawn, a young human boy who is moving in to the house of his aunt to rest before he is due for an operation on his defective heart. This causes a problem for Arrietty, because if a borrower is discovered, they have to move away, because humans are dangerous for the little people. Can a forbidden friendship grow between tiny Arrietty and the human Shawn? And what if the others discover her family?

This film may not win a lot of awards but it is typically fine family entertainment from Ghibli studios. 95 minutes.
I recommend this one for all audiences. Sakura might like this, non violent, one kitty....... two paws up of this one.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » September 12th, 2012, 7:48 pm

I'd really like to see that one!
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » September 12th, 2012, 10:14 pm

come visit, I think Rachel and her kids would like it too

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » September 23rd, 2012, 6:31 am

I finished the series Desert Punk. Well, JH wants to know what I think of the ending......... I don't want to fill this up with spoilers for you. Let me say that it's very interesting...... human nature, a change from the norm. The ending was a twist that I didn't really expect. I enjoyed the series overall. It has a pretty decent mix of action and comedy. It's not a timeless classic, but another good story by the Japanese writers, and the ending is something our writers wouldn't think of. I really kept expecting things to change. I'm glad they didn't, Desert Punk II was cute.

I would recommend this one for Zera. It has plenty of guns, explosions, robots, etc.

What did you think of JH?

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » September 25th, 2012, 7:40 pm

I agree, I think Z2K would like it. But as for the "twist" at the end, I did not like it. I just felt that the twist wasn't really supported by the rest of the series. It wasn't like in the "Sixth Sense" were you can look back and say, "Oh, now I get it. I didn't notice that before." It seemed more like the writes just decieded that they wanted to throw the watcher for a loop at the last minute without building it into the story.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » September 28th, 2012, 5:25 am

I would at first have agreed with your assessment, JH, but on further review I would have to change my mind.

Possible spoilers ahead!!

When you think about the nature of the characters, they really haven't changed from the rest of the story, and the plot lines of the story haven't either. Desert Punk is an amoral self centered mercenary, concerned only with money and getting la........... lets just say obtaining a woman's favors. Does he change? Not really, he went where the money was, he says they offered him a deal. We just expected him to turn out to be the good guy because that's how the main character is supposed to turn out. Through the story, every time something happens that that makes it look like he has a conscience, he brushes it off as an accident or coincidence, or luck. We assume he's being depreciating, but is he? The government is, from the beginning, a tyrannical group interested only in finding that ancient technology that will make them invincible. The other mercs are only interested in keeping things the way they are, thus they bond together to prevent the government from becoming to powerful and upsetting their anarchy.

So, in conclusion, if you look at the clues through the story, you find the twist isn't in the story's plot line, it's actually in what we have come to expect in the conclusion of this type of story. I think this is probably closer to what reality would be........ That's the twist.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » September 28th, 2012, 7:17 pm

It has been a long time since I watched it, so I may not be remembering it correctly. I guess I need to watch it again.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » December 26th, 2012, 5:32 am

A week ago I was at my son's for a night and and we watched the 12 episode series "Puella Magi Madoka Magica".
It was a very entertaining series. Ok, just another cute magic girl series, right? Ummm, not quite. This one sort of does for magic girl series what "When They Cry - Higurashi" did for the cute schoolgirl harem series. It is really a turn around of the usual story line. You have a hard time figuring out who is bad and who is good.
I'm not going to give away the story here, I really think anyone who has seen one of the magic girl series should see this. I don't think this summary gives too much information.

Plot Summary: After experiencing a bizarre dream, Madoka Kaname, a kind 14-year-old girl, encounters a magical creature named Kyube. Madoka and her friend Sayaka Miki are offered the opportunity of gaining magical powers if they agree to make a contract with the strange little being. He will also grant them one wish, but in exchange they shall risk their lives by accepting the responsibility of fighting witches. Invisible to human eyes, witches are catalysts of despair in the areas they inhabit. An ally of Kyube, a magical girl named Mami Tomoe, befriends and encourages the two girls to accept the contract. For an unknown reason, another magical girl named Homura Akemi is determined to prevent Madoka from accepting the deal.

The music soundtrack is first rate, and the animation style has a lot of places that remind me of the style of Petite Cosette.

I'd give it a five star rating.