Anime/Manga recommendations

All information, praise, and rants about Anime and Manga goes here.
Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Anime/Manga recommendations

Post by Zeratul2k » July 12th, 2012, 5:50 am

Oh, look at this! First thread! I win!

Ahem, seriously now, are there any (relatively new) anime or manga that you would like to recommend?

In my case, I haven't been up to day on my anime, though I know for a fact that Fate/Zero is awesome, and that you all should read The World Only God Knows (Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai).

Let's hear yours!
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: Anime/Manga recommendations

Post by oldwrench » July 12th, 2012, 3:09 pm

Princess Jellyfish: An interesting story about five geeky girls living in an apartment.

Plot Summary: Amamizukan is an apartment complex where no boys are allowed. Tsukimi, a girl who adores jellyfish, lives there happily with her friends who all have nerdy obsessions of their own. Their peaceful lives gradually start to change when a beautiful woman helps Tsukimi out of a pinch. She stays overnight at the apartments—but it turns out "she" is really a "he".

11 episodes, English dub, or subtitle. This is a really fun story with quite a few twists and turns.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » July 12th, 2012, 4:45 pm

For anime, two series/movies I would recomend are Eden of the East (first the series and then the finishing two movies) and Summer Wars.

Both have very high production value and great story lines.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Post by Hiki » July 12th, 2012, 10:13 pm

I got nothing... At least nothing new.. I watched Murder Princess again yesterday while I was waiting for E-chi to wake up. It's only 6 episodes, but it's pretty amusing :3

E-chi said there's a pretty awesome anime called Another or something, but I can't judge because I haven't checked it out yet :'D
Don't feed me violins.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » July 27th, 2012, 5:46 am

Welp, nothing new on my side, so I guess I'm gonna go watch the Girls With Guns trilogy again (a.k.a. Noir, Madlax and El Cazador De La Bruja). Wish me luck!
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » July 28th, 2012, 4:52 am

Watched the Full Metal Alchemist movie, "The Sacred Star of Milos" It's a pretty good movie. If you've seen the series and enjoy the action genre this might be for you. backgrounds in this animation are very detailed and good looking. 110 minutes, subtitled and dubbed, in wide screen. It comes in dvd and blue ray in a combo pack. Dolby 5.1 sound.

It's a good series, either in the original or the later "Brotherhood" versions, and this movie just adds to the story.

And, I'd second JH's vote for Summer Wars,

Plot Summary: When timid eleventh-grader and math genius Kenji Koiso is asked by older student and secret crush Natsuki to come with her to her family’s Nagano home for a summer job, he agrees without hesitation. Natsuki’s family, the Jinnouchi clan, dates back to the Muromachi era, and they’ve all come together to celebrate the 90th birthday of the spunky matriarch of the family, Sakae. That’s when Kenji discovers his “summer job” is to pretend to be Natsuki’s fiancé and dance with her at the birthday celebration. As Kenji attempts to keep up with Natsuki’s act around her family, he receives a strange math problem on his cell phone which, being a math genius, he can’t resist solving. As it turns out, the solution to the mysterious equation causes a hijacking of the social networking site through which most of the world's social and business traffic flows.

The story gets exciting when a lot of things start to go wrong. Kenji has to find out how to stop the chaos that he started or he's going to end up in prison. And, while this is all going on, does he stand a chance of winning Natsuki's heart?
There is a bit of action, but it's in the the virtual world. A great melding of scifi and social satire. This is good entertainment for the whole family.
cover_summer_wars_jp.jpg

Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Post by Hiki » August 2nd, 2012, 12:52 pm

Shiori and I-chan, my host-imoutou, recommend:

Manga:
- Coji Coji
- Shokora no mahou (The Magic of Chocolate)
- Uchi no 3 shimai

Anime:
- Sailor Moon
- Jewel Pet (we think xD)

For their descriptions, please ask Google :'D
Don't feed me violins.

Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Post by Hiki » August 12th, 2012, 12:25 pm

So I saw this anime when I was in Japan and I thought it was rather funny. It's kind of like Lucky Star, but different xD It's called Nichijou.

Plot summary (from Wikipedia):
The series follows the lives of a group of high school students and their school. Various oddities and absurdities abound, such as a robotic girl made by a scientist who is an eight-year-old girl, a boy who rides a goat to school with his butler, a girl who can procure various guns out of thin air, a cat that can speak and a principal who has wrestled a deer. Despite its bizarre settings and characters, the students still lead normal lives.
Don't feed me violins.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » August 14th, 2012, 4:57 am

The Japanese are great a t school comedy series, like Azumanga Daioh and Pani Poni Dash. An awful lot of the anime are centered around schools. For the Japanese, that seems to be their "golden age" when all of life is still an open possibility.

I just started watching Desert Punk, set in a post apocalyptic world, it's a rather bawdy action comedy. I'll tell more when I get a chance to watch more.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » August 25th, 2012, 4:36 pm

Half way through Desert Punk, it's a fun comedy, lots of action some cute story lines, nothing deep or heavy in this one...... unless you count Junko's boobs....... Desert Punk sure does, in fact, he has a fixation on them and, well, any others that come into his path. The fanservice in this, so far, has been mostly a bit of bouncing, which is so often the downfall of our "hero".

This is a good one to watch if you like your action to border on slapstick and the humor to trend to adult themes. I'll write more later, but so far, it's pretty good if you want some adult chuckles.