The Crap Shooter

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: The Crap Shooter

Post by oldwrench » March 14th, 2020, 3:57 am

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!! Corona virus will get us all!!! ...... Or not...... Let's see, less than 100 thousand confirmed cases so far and we're shutting down everything. In 2009, H1N1 virus was pandemic, more than half a million people died from it and nothing was closed that I remember. Ok, this is a serious illness and we should be careful washing hands and such, but there is a major panic going on here. Keep calm, it's not the Andromeda strain, or ebola. I'm figuring they will be cancelling Anime Detour since it is three weeks from now and they are cancelling almost everything else here.All sports events, all theater plays and events. Even the auto show in Minneapolis closed half way through it's run. Ah well, I guess we will get through this too. Hope you stay well.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » March 16th, 2020, 7:33 pm

Heh I have no purroblems here. I have identified two kind of people:
  • Those who are either hysterical or apathic. Their advantage: They need no opinion, they need no information, they need no thinking whatsoever. In every situation they have a solution. Damn thinking is too tiring
  • The rest of us has to act carefully and decide between the choices (keeping distance from the sneezing people, carefully washing our hands, don't grab your face)
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » April 4th, 2020, 4:15 am

Our little Molly cat is no more. She died of some cat malady that the vet said was not curable. Max is still doing quite well though.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » April 5th, 2020, 10:33 am

MREOWWWWWWW!

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » April 5th, 2020, 10:50 am

My mom showed me a video she got on Facebook... some very "smart" guy found out (well he can read!) that some disinfectant carries the label "works against [...] Coronavirus" holy cow are people really that stupid that "SARS-CoV-2" doesn't ring a bell?

Suggestions to keep you occupied:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002%E2%8 ... S_outbreak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQWD5W3fpPM
http://aplaguetale.com/
https://stephenking.com/library/novel/stand_the.html

What I play instead right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L5VcxxzA2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evS2PuaLkr8

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » April 12th, 2020, 5:19 pm

The news media has had a field day with this pandemic. There is so much misinformation and gloom and doom here in the news that you don't know what to believe. I'm not worried about it. They have shut down the whole state of Minnesota because we have 50 people that have died who have tested positive for the virus...... or have had symptoms of the virus. Doctors have been instructed to list as cause of death covid 19 in any death of someone who had had a positive test for the virus, or had symptoms of the virus....... One doctor commented in an editorial, if we listed flu deaths like this, there would be well over a hundred thousand flu deaths in the US every year........ So, who do we believe? are they padding the numbers to scare people, or trying to make the numbers fit their computer models? I still worry that they are destroying more peoples lives and incomes than this warrants.

Crisis girl has come down with the covid virus. She has had a fever and cough but nothing that bad. she said the flu her family had earlier this year was much worse.

It's Easter sunday, and it's snowing, more than an inch so far. bummer

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 10th, 2020, 7:06 am

Getting cabin fever, even if we can go outside now with the nice weather. I want to go to a restaurant, I need a haircut, I would like to go shopping without feeling like a criminal.

I broke my carpet cleaning machine. The water tank tipped over and the soap tank part broke. I can't understand why the plastic would be so brittle, it's only 18 or so years old.I could buy a replacement tank for 130 dollars plus shipping....... or buy a new and updated machine for 190 and pick it up at the store. What a difficult choice.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » May 10th, 2020, 11:33 am

Haircut? Hmm what's that, a "haircut?" You remember, I still purrefer braiding over any haircut :gg:

I got a "Playstation 4 Pro VR" to go outside, it's a cheaper version of these 3D googles for PC but only works with PS4 games. The quality is average but it's only € 700 including the PS4 Pro. I also play card games with my mom using a virtual game table we got from Steam. It's called "Tabletop Simulator" with voice communication over phone. We could also use our iPads if we wanted to see each other :thumb:

So, the lockdown is treating me okay so far, especially that we're "allowed" to get out for sports (max two people from two households or as many of one household as you like) We also can do our grocery shopping anytime (wearing a mandatory mask).

I'm not afraid of Covid, there's rarely any risk at my age. I'm afraid of killing other people with my carelessness :omg:

Check out my "Invitation to my room" topic for details of my new online game. It's very cute

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 11th, 2020, 4:55 am

We also can go out for walks, to grocery stores and other stores if needed. The big stores are still open, only the small mom and pop local stores are forced to close......... sounds very fair, doesn't it.

I'm up to level 759 in free cell solitaire,

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » May 11th, 2020, 11:13 am

Freecell has the advantage that more than 95% of the games are solveable :gg:

Starting today our shops may open with the limitation of 1 customer per 10m² so we have enough room to avoid each other. Of course: mandatory masks. Restaurants always had the chance to deliver takeout, most just closed because they didn't know how to do that. Pizza-Taxi (delivery services) and Picnic (grocery online shopping) services with free delivery were unable to keep up with the demand. I expect that a bunch of people who used these services will continue to do so in the future. Some shops simply had the better prerequisites