The Crap Shooter

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: The Crap Shooter

Post by oldwrench » May 25th, 2020, 4:00 am

Online shopping has been going wild here. The biggest stores, Walmart and Target were allowed to stay open, they have been doing great....... helps when the government orders your competition to close. This is not how the government is supposed to work, deciding who wins and who loses, who gets to work and who doesn't, where we can go, what we can do and when we can do it. The initial two week pause was not bad, but over two months is throwing our constitution out the window and ruling by dictatorship.

My blue ray player in my man cave basement shop decided to give out. For some reason, it will work for most of a disc then decide it can't read the disc. It's always been touchy reading smudged discs, but it does this even with new discs. It's better with DVD discs, but still has trouble. TIme to take it apart and see what's inside.... then buy a new one.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » May 25th, 2020, 10:18 am

Hehe I have bought the full set of IFixIt screwdrivers and tools... wished I had any idea how to use them. I was able to open some MP3 player and find a defective part, but didn't have any soldering equipent to repair it. Usually, whatever I open is dedicated trash bin stuff afterwards :pif:
Someone gave me a broken Gameboy (that black & white things from the 1990's) and I managed to open and close it so that it still works!! :omg:

Purrhaps I'm not totally hopeless :gg: :kiss:
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 26th, 2020, 4:37 am

I void warranties! (I have a tee shirt with that on it) I have been taking everything apart since before I can remember. Kids have such neat stuff to play with now days. I guess that is how I ended up as a mechanic.

Stay inquisitive, curiosity made the cat smarter.

Check out this guys videos, he takes things apart to see how they are made, and if they are any good. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtM5z2 ... d0JQMx76qA

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » May 26th, 2020, 10:02 am

I haven't managed to repair the Nintendo I got. I also have the game "Mystic Quest" which was the predecessor of Final Fantasy :love:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 27th, 2020, 8:26 pm

usually with those electronic gadgets, the magic smoke comes out, then you have to get the wizzards with the tall pointy hats to get it back in.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » June 6th, 2020, 12:11 pm

I simply lack the soldering equipment (and the secret knowledge how to use it without burning the whole town) :gg:

No I'm not going to buy one, some stuff is better left untouched.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » June 22nd, 2020, 2:12 am

I've been soldering stuff for more than sixty years, and I haven't burned anything down yet. I have burned black marks in the top of a few benches though.

Soldering is easy, if you can use a hot melt glue gun, you can learn to solder. You can buy small electronic kits on ebay and the like that are made for learning to solder.

I learned to solder with a big 100 watt iron (I still have and use it) joining hand wired components in circuits. Later printed circuit boards made it easier and I built a number of Heath Kit radio and stereo kits. I needed a smaller soldering iron for those though. THe latest surface mount boards use such tiny components that it is nearly impossible to do it by hand. Good thing the kits still use the old style drilled boards with wired components.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » June 25th, 2020, 8:43 pm

Honestly, you wouldn't want me to try that :gg:
My secret plan is always to find a boyfriend who can :ho: :meh:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » June 30th, 2020, 5:32 am

If it was a welding torch or a terawatt laser I would worry about you, but a small soldering iron is fairly safe.

I have been fighting an ear infection for the last four weeks. It started in the outer cannal, then ended up both outer and inner ear. It's not fun.... earaches and swelling shut inside so I couldn't hear in that ear. (my old ears have enough trouble hearing without that too. I think the meds are finally getting rid of it now. (don't get old, it's bad for your health)

Darned rabbits still are chewing up my garden. Anyone have a pet fox I can borrow?

The birds are eating me broke, more than twenty pounds of bird seeds a week. At least we have some pretty ones along with the blackbirds and sparrows. We have cardinals, grossbeaks, orioles, bluejays, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, robins....... lots of birds.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » June 30th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Hm Terawatt laser sounds great, can I get one from Amazon? :thumb:

Honestly I do not plan to get old. Anime catgirl's never get old (well actually my Avatar is that of a foxgirl isn't it?) I'll come to your garden next weekend :gg:

I wonder why you feed the birds in summer, there's plenty of food for them you just animate them to lazyness :pif: Don't tell me you still have snow in the US?

Get well soon :kiss: