The Crap Shooter

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: The Crap Shooter

Post by oldwrench » July 1st, 2020, 4:51 am

If I don't feed them, I wouldn't see all the pretty birds every day.

Ear is improving, just hope it stays that way.

Minnesota hasn't had an increase in covid cases yet. Maybe we are lucky, or maybe people here are a bit more careful, I don't know.

It's going to be very hot for the next week. An average year has 14 days of 90f or higher. Last year only had 4, I think we will be above average this year. The recorded record was 1988 with 44days over 90f. At least we had a good rain yesterday.

Oh, by the way, today it was 91f witha dew point of 75f, that is hotter and more humid than average for the Amazon rain forest.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » July 1st, 2020, 5:00 pm

Northrhine-Westfalia's r-rate constantly is below 0.9. 1200 people were positively tested in a local meat market with about 2000 people from Romania and Poland working there. We had to issue a local shutdown there, the CEO of the company had to pay a 5 million EUR bail deposit(?) :meh:

For everyone else: 90°F is 32.22222°C :gg:
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » March 15th, 2021, 9:30 pm

Ok, two days ago it was 60 degrees F here and the snow had almost all melted, today it is 29 and we have about 6 inches of snow..... Minnesota in the spring time. This stuff is so wet and heavy that I don't think the snow blower will handle it. They say we might have high winds tonight too.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » March 21st, 2021, 11:07 am

Ouch partly melted and refrozen snow is dangerous: Looks like ordinary snow but good enough for ice skating. German law requires that you still have to remove it every morning until 7am no matter the circumstances :ho: :meh:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » March 22nd, 2021, 3:56 am

The snowblower did move the snow, I could have just left it, it's all gone now. It was 60 degrees here today, but wind gusts up to 45 miles per hour.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » March 24th, 2021, 10:57 am

Translation:
60°F = 15,7°C
45 Mph = 72,4205 km/h

I really guess GB and the USA are the last ones using imperial units :ho: :kiss:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » March 30th, 2021, 4:06 pm

I'm too old a cat to teach a new system. They should have changed over back when I was in school.
yesterday was 74f and 45mph temp and south wind, today it's 40f and 40mph northwest wind.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » April 3rd, 2021, 6:33 pm

We converted Fahrenheit to Celsius in school but I forgot how to do it...Google helps, just search for "fahrenheit to celsius" and you get a pocket calculator on top of the search page. Im purretty sure there are plenty of smartphone apps for all operating systems :thumb:

You see, we're > 8 billion people. 350 million use imperial and 7 billion 650 million use metrics.

74°F = 23 1/3°C
45 mph = 72,4205 km/h

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » April 5th, 2021, 4:59 am

yes, my phone has a converter app, convertabee, has lots of conversion ability, I'm just too lazy to get it out.

74f = 296.4833K

45mph = .00000007c

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » April 6th, 2021, 2:12 pm

There you go, I knew we could do this. :thumb: :love:

As far as I know Fahrenheit is based on the lowest and highest temperature measured in the USA in a given period of time, is that correct?
0° Celsius is the temperature at which water freezes, 100° Celsius is the temperature at which water boils. This seems much more logical to me. :hmm:

Edit: I was wrong. Wikipedia says:
"0 °F, was established as the freezing temperature of a solution of brine made from a mixture of water, ice, and ammonium chloride (a salt).[3][4] The other limit established was his best estimate of the average human body temperature, originally set at 90 °F, then 96°F (about 2.6 °F less than the modern value due to a later redefinition of the scale[3] ). However, he noted a middle point of 32 °F, to be set to the temperature of water ice.

The Fahrenheit scale is now usually defined by two fixed points: the temperature at which pure water ice melts is defined as 32 °F and the boiling point of water is defined to be 212 °F, both at sea level and under standard atmospheric pressure (a 180 °F separation).
" (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit )