The Crap Shooter

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Re: The Crap Shooter

Post by JHawkNH » November 18th, 2013, 10:07 pm

What king of failure did you have on the hard drive? I have some software that might be able to recover some of the data.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » November 25th, 2013, 1:51 am

I don't think the drive would be recovered by any commercial software. In researching the drive it seems that some sort of operating firmware is written on the disc and when there is a failure of one of these sectors, the drive is hosed....... it can't figure out where the head should go or something like that. I have been able to get it to show an index of one of the partitions, but it won't open any of those files, the other two partitions don't even show up. A lot of the family picts and anime picts were backed up, sort of, over several other drives, the rest were some, ahhh...... educational anime files, not much of a loss. The recent picts of the grandkids that vanished are the sorry part.

It's crazy cold this weekend........ as in down near 0f Saturday morning, and it's still November. It's supposed to get up around freezing again this week.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » December 3rd, 2013, 6:30 am

You thought last weekend was cold.............. this weekend could be 10 or more degrees below zero F.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » December 3rd, 2013, 8:19 pm

And don't forget the snow. The snow "flakes" are so big today that it looked like someone is thowing snowballs from above.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » December 12th, 2013, 3:07 am

I'm tired of winter, Last week it was a heavy snow storm, since then, cold. It's been between -11c and -26c here and they say it will continue for at least another week.
Last Wednesday I had to drive a client to a dental appointment up in Minnetonka, not a long distance, 35 miles, but it was white knuckle driving all the way, it was snowing very hard and just slightly above freezing. There had been a rain the night before and there was a glaze of ice on the roads. It was like driving on greased glass with teflon tires. Driving 30mph on the highway that has a speed limit of 65mph was pushing your luck. Well, I made it.
Tomorrow I have a 6:30 am trip to St Paul, about 60 miles, and it's supposed to be really cold.
Oh well, next month I go to Thailand and Myanmar for a few weeks.
DSCF5787.JPG
DSCF5786.JPG
This is the van I use the most #63, The lift is for the clients wheel chairs, I lift them in then tie the chair down with the systems in the van. That lift really helps clients in wheel chairs and power chairs.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » December 18th, 2013, 3:56 pm

I don't suppose I could ask you to take all the cold with you when you go to Thailand? :pif: <-what me breathing outside looks like for the last month.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » January 2nd, 2014, 8:19 pm

It is suppose to be -26F on Monday. Someone tell me why I live here again? :pif:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » January 5th, 2014, 5:51 am

That, and the high temp for the day is supposed to be -15f The coldest day since 1996. Global warming?

It will probably warm up next week........... after I'm gone to Thailand.

My main computer's broken again. The video card is hosed and one piece of software has been causing the computer to crash. I finally figured which piece of software it was and got it uninstalled. But, XP is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I built the old system 8 years ago. I bought a new vid card, but it won't operate at all, it's V2.0 and my board is V1.0, it says it's backward compatible, but some research on the board shows others have the same problem. I found an x16 V1.0 card on NewEgg and ordered that, I hope it clears up the video problems.

Time to start gathering parts for a new system......... I just don't want to go with Windows 8....... from what I read, it sucks.I can get 7 pro for around 100 bucks, then I could run some of my old software in it's XP mode.

maybe an AMD A10-1600k on a Gigabyte board, 8gb ram, 60gb ssd for main drive, and my new 1tb drive for a storage drive. Would be a pretty hot machine for low bucks.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » January 10th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Right......... just when I'm leaving for warmer places, it warms up here. 24F this morning.

Oh well, see you in a few weeks.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » January 21st, 2014, 4:58 pm

When did/are you coming back? It was -22F this morning. So at least you may have missed that. :pat: