The Crap Shooter

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Re: The Crap Shooter

Post by Zeratul2k » August 1st, 2007, 10:37 pm

I read somewhere that in WWII the soldiers used a kind of "hot patches" that used glue to keep the wounds closed while in the battlefield or something like that. Don't really remember, I read that years ago.

@gpa: What is the new HDD's file system? If it's NTFS you'll need to download a package to write files to it. PM me your linux distro's name and version if you want me to help.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » August 2nd, 2007, 3:15 am

Thd drive was partitioned and formated to ex3, I think, used a linux partitioning program. The drive is there, it's partitioned and formatted, I just can't change the permissions to let me write to it, it's read only. I see where I'm supposed to write a line in the fstab file, but it won't let me, says I'm not the owner, another permission thing. I followed the steps in several forums, I get the drive mounted but can't do anything but read. !)!@*&$(*#!)*&$(*&#!)(*$)& Linux!!!!
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » August 2nd, 2007, 7:16 am

Well, since this is the crap shooter........
HOLY CRAP!!!!! In case anyone doesn't know, a major 8 lane interstate in Minneapolis, MN collapsed during rushhour tonight into the Mississippi river.......
:sob:
I used to live in an apartment RIGHT NEXT to that bridge, have driven over it countless times...Thank GOD it's summer and construction season--it was down to 1 lane on each side for resurfacing purposes, so the estimate is only 50 or so cars were on the bridge at the time of collapse instead of 6 times that number.
Unfortunately for my poor frazzled nerves, I first heard about it at work stuck in a c-section....so of course I panic thinking "My brother-in-law drives over that bridge for work!!!" and I couldn't find out if he was or wasn't on it until over 3 hours later!!!!!!
Everyone we know in the Twin Cities is okay...but it's so horrible and so SURREAL to see someplace you know and lived a major disaster...all those people....
:sob:
Thanks for listening ya'll.
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » August 2nd, 2007, 2:10 pm

The TV coverage of it looked like a major earthquake hit. last report I saw, six had died and 38 were hospitalized with injuries. Only guardian angels could have kept it to this low a number. There was a bus with nearly 60 children on the brige, none were badly injured. The bridge was built in 1967 and had a complete inspection in 04. They don't know yet why it failed. In a normal day over 140,000 vehicles cross that bridge. I'm sure you can find the story on any news site, I know yahoo has it. Our prayers go out for those affected by this.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » August 2nd, 2007, 3:18 pm

As of this morning the offical word I have heard was there are only 4 fatalitys so far, but that 20 people are still missing. I really hope that they find all 20 alive and well.

If anyone wants I can put up a link to a video of the bridge collasping. A security camera near the bridge caught the collaspe on video.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » August 2nd, 2007, 10:04 pm

The brand new news is, it was not a terrorist attack.

Here have some pictures.

Scary...! :omg:
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » August 2nd, 2007, 10:13 pm

oldwrench wrote:I get the drive mounted but can't do anything but read. !)!@*&$(*#!)*&$(*&#!)(*$)& Linux!!!!
In a console window:

Code: Select all

sudo vi /etc/fstab
Add a line:

/dev/sda2     /home/     ext3     defaults,errors=remount-ro     0 0
Save the file. In a console then type:

sudo mount /home
You can also *try* mounting it manually:

sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /home
Of course I assume you have installed a copy of Ubuntu 7.04, there's no reason going for less.

If it's still read-only after this, the file system is 'unclean' and has to be checked thorougly before it can be mounted. Type 'man fsck' to see the command.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » August 2nd, 2007, 10:15 pm

Zeratul2k wrote:@gpa: What is the new HDD's file system? If it's NTFS you'll need to download a package to write files to it. PM me your linux distro's name and version if you want me to help.
Ubuntu comes with a working Ntfs-3g install "out of the box" so all windows drives are read-write.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » August 3rd, 2007, 1:16 am

Not in my case, it seems. Both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions came without write support in NTFS, they could only read. I have to go into synaptic every time I install and download the ntfs-3g package.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » August 3rd, 2007, 3:33 am

I have the same problem Zera, ntfs is read only. Sakura, are your instructions for an internal drive? My drive shows as /dev/hdb.