When did you get into anime?

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
Sakura
Resident Kitty

When did you get into anime?

Post by Sakura » December 2nd, 2011, 10:29 am

The first episode of Anime I ever watched was of Ranma 1/2. I checked the interwebz with Dechant somewhere in winter 2000. Of course I watched Sailor Moon and even "Alps no shojo no Heidi" before but I wasn't aware of all that "anime" thing and it's origins.

Which was the first episode of anime you watched when knowing it was japanese animation?
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: When did you get into anime?

Post by oldwrench » December 2nd, 2011, 5:45 pm

Well, it was back when my son was in college, late 90's. He brought home an anime and told me I really had to watch this. Sure, I said, just what I want to see, Japanese cartoons. Well I started watching, and after the first few minutes.......... Oh my, this isn't kids cartoons. He brought Ninja Scroll. If you've ever seen it, it really isn't for kids. Later he brought home Neon Genesis Evangelion and, being an old scifi fan, I was really hooked. There are so many good anime, and so many more I would like to see. Just like good scifi books....... so many and so little time.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » December 2nd, 2011, 9:28 pm

The first anime I ever watch? Wow, I have to go way back.
First anime I ever saw was either Robotech or Lil' Bits around the mid 80's. I didn't know that either were an anime at the time. Didn't even know what anime was at the time.

Later when I new what anime was the first anime I remember watching was Galaxy Express 999 on cable.
The first anime I rented was Bubblegum Crisis. The first anime I ever bought was Ranma 1/2, Ranma and Juliet.

Now decades later and ten's of thousands of dollars later I consider myself an addict.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » December 4th, 2011, 2:52 am

Well, first anime I ever saw was Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken, but at the time i didn't know it came from japan. I noticed that when I was watching Dragon Ball (and Captain Tsubasa, but I watched Dragon Ball more), so I guess you could say that was the first anime I saw (though, again, i didn't knew when i started watching it). The first anime I started watching that I knew was anime, was Ranma 1/2, I think. Or Sailor Moon, I forget.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » December 4th, 2011, 9:59 am

So everyone around here seems to have started with Ranma 1/2? :gg:
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Post by Hiki » December 4th, 2011, 3:22 pm

I never watched Ranma 1/2..

The first anime I saw without me knowing were Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon and Digimon. They were on tv around the same time, so idk which came first xD

The first anime I saw with me actually knowing it was anime were Tokyo Mew Mew and Purikyua. I watched those around the same time but I think TMM was first... :'D And Full Moon wo Sagashite as well xD
Don't feed me violins.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » December 11th, 2011, 4:15 am

The very first anime I ever saw was Project Aiko (I think that's what it was called), and I HATED it. Absolutely hated it. I couldn't STAND Aiko. Urgh.
Then, I got talked into watching some Ranma 1/2, and loved it! Next anime after that that I can remember was Escaflowne, and I was officially hooked forever.
Weird how almost all of us started out on Ranma 1/2! Still think the OAV Christmas Episode is one of my favorites. :love:
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » December 12th, 2011, 8:37 pm

I think Ranma 1/2 was one of the first big anime hits. So it is not a surprise that it was one of the first animes for alot of us old dogs.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » January 26th, 2012, 4:08 pm

Is it sad that my son's official favorite first anime is the old Speed Racer animes from, what, the 70s? 60s? He's got the entire cartoon collection.... Oh my goodness are they terrible!!
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » January 27th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Those make great shows for Mystery Anime Theater 3000 nights.

Also at least he doesn't have a collection of Thomas the Train videos like my nephew. Boy are those bad.