Conflicting dreams

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Conflicting dreams

Post by JHawkNH » October 11th, 2011, 3:04 pm

Have you ever had two dreams/desires that conflict with each other to the point where you can only choose one?

I currently have two.
1. I have wanted to go to Japan for a long time. I will finally have the available funds next year and would like to go.
2. There is a piece of land on a lake that I would like to get. It is currently to expensive for me. But if the price starts to drop (due to falling values) and I am able to save up for a down payment for two to three years, I may be able to get the land and eventually build a cabin on it.

So here is the problem. If I go to Japan, that is less money I can save up for a down payment on the land, or a longer time period to save up for the land. If I wait the extra time there a a few things that could happen.
1. It increases the chances that someone else could buy it while I am trying to save up.
2. The longer I wait the better chance there is that property prices will begin to rebound and put the land back out of my price range.
3. If the person selling it doesn't think they can sell it they may just build on it themselves and pull it of the market.

On the other hand if I save up for the land..
1. I would not be able to go to Japan for at least two to three years. And even then I would probably not be able to save up the money because all my extra income would be going toward paying the loan for the land.

Has any one else ever had two or mor conflicting dreams/desires? What did you ultimatly choose?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Re: Conflicting dreams

Post by Hiki » October 11th, 2011, 10:02 pm

Aghhh cursed internet! Let's try this again...

I don't think I've ever been in such a situation.. I somehow just make sure it works out one way or another.. xD
I do know that one time, back in primary school, I had to go to camp. But it was on my birthday and it was the final day of a competition I competed in, and I just generally really really didn't want to go to camp. But the school and my parents did want me to go to camp, so I wasn't allowed to stay home. Worst camp ever btw. Anyhow, that sort of counts as conflicted desires, right? xD

In your case I would probably save for the land. If -for some reason- it doesn't work out, at least you'll have plenty of money to spend in Japan :p Also. LAND ON A LAKE IS AWESOME. But that's just me~
Don't feed me violins.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » October 12th, 2011, 4:41 pm

JH, I'd go for the land. As you stated, it may not be there or available for very much longer. Japan, on the other hand, isn't going anywhere (probably). And, as Hiki pointed out, if the land doesn't work out, you'll have a LOT more money to spend on your vacay to Japan!
As for conflicting dreams, UGH, yes. I want to travel the world and be a vagabond moving from place to place with no permanent home, BUT I also want stability, and a family, etc. So far, I'm choosing the stability and family. With some luck, I'll be able to do the other dream later. If not, I'll console myself by being the meanest old lady in the nursing home.
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » October 13th, 2011, 3:59 am

Did anyone say "conflicting dreams"? At the moment i'm torn between staying over here, looking for a well paid job so i can have enough monie later on to go wherever i want, or to go study a doctorate, which would put me on debt, but would also mean i get to live on another country for 2 years or so. Choices, choices...
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Post by Hiki » October 13th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Well, that all depends on what you want to do with your life. If you go with staying there and looking for a well-paid job, you might have enough money to go where ever you want vacation-wise, but you'll most likely end living there the rest of your life. Unless you suddenly because a millionair, of course. Should you want to move to somewhere else, it is best to choose education above a "well-paid" job, because then the chances of getting an even better paid job are higher, even in foreign countries... So if you are planning to move out of there, it's best to make sure you have good education, else the chances of finding a job are slim. But once again, this is just my opinion. I know what I'd choose, though xD
Don't feed me violins.