What I just bought...

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: What I just bought...

Post by oldwrench » November 29th, 2011, 9:33 pm

Most Christmas sales are on things we don't need. They figure the stuff you need, you'll pay full price for anyway.

I ordered a new router, my old D-Link is getting pretty flakey. The kids can't seem to get it to work with their laptops, even from a few feet away. It just keeps dropping connection. The new Belkin should be faster and better.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » November 30th, 2011, 12:35 pm

On saturday I'll be proud owner of my first color laser printer :love: :love: :love:
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » December 3rd, 2011, 6:57 pm

color laser....... nice. I've thought about getting one of those for my wife's business. She prints a lot, mostly black and white, but uses a lot of ink in an ink jet, and they don't have refill kits out for her new inkjet yet. I wonder how the image quality is on the color lasers, and the comparative cost per image. need to do research.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » December 4th, 2011, 9:55 am

Well you need cost and that's what we researched first, before ordering that printer. (( € 1.- is approximately US$ 1.30 ))

Suggested retail price is € 449.- I paid € 269.- for the printer including low capacity cartridges.
The b/w cartridge prints 1,500 pages while every color cartridge is worth 1,000 pages. A drum lasts for 25,000 pages in total. I can't seem to find that particular price but I remember it was very slightly above 0.5 Eurocent per page.
Calculating a sheet of paper at € 0.01 you get:

b/w cartridge: € 39.95 = 2.66 Eurocent/page + paper + drum = 4.16 Eurocent/page
color cartridge: € 36.07 = 3.61 Eurocent/page +paper + drum = 5.11 Eurocent/page

You also have to check for the cost of electricity, a laser printer uses 10 times the energy when printing but the text print quality is absolutely PURRRfect... :pat:

I have also found rebuilt cartridges (b/w) for as much as € 29.95 which drops the price for one b/w page to less than 3.5 Eurocent.

Now for the quality: Text quality is great as said. Color is... hm it's a laser printer. Laser printers cannot "mix" drops of ink instead they have to rasterize their images and it doesn't work well with photos. The colours are very bright compared to inkjet printers and there are no small and large drops of ink neither. Great for excel spreadsheets and word documents but not for photos.

For photos I highly suggest to buy a CISS system like the one Olray gave me. One liter of ink is just € 30 you just have to buy it in bottles. It's HP who blows up that liter to € 4,000 using patent law! A 10x15cm photo is less than 4 Eurocent.

And no I'm not a "normal" purrson. :gg:

(( Before he kills me: This post is created with help of Olray(tm) and subject to change without notice :meh: ))

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » December 11th, 2011, 4:20 am

Oh my. I think my brain just went into spasms.... :hmm: Why is it that I can deal with blood and gore and delivery a baby without blinking, but when it comes to any kind of technology, I'm a spastic, helpless, braindead twit?
I just spent lots of $$ on thinkgeek.com. There are so many geeks in my family, and that site makes buying gifts easy. But hard, because I find like 50 things I want for myself. Especially t-shirts. They have the best t-shirts.
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » December 11th, 2011, 7:09 am

I gave myself, for christmas, a Daisy Powerline 617x. I always wanted something to keep my marksmanship exercised for when the zombies start attacking, and this fits just fine.

Now I want to get a Crosman Pulse R76, but i'll have to hold on that.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » December 11th, 2011, 10:29 am

You can't buy that thing in the EU but I want that "Hello Kitty rifle" if any...

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » December 11th, 2011, 10:33 am

Dinky wrote:Oh my. I think my brain just went into spasms.... :hmm: Why is it that I can deal with blood and gore and delivery a baby without blinking, but when it comes to any kind of technology, I'm a spastic, helpless, braindead twit?
Well I'm a proud Nerdgirl (or "Nerdmädchen" as it's in German) :kiss:
You need a lot of experience and a good boyfriend to get this far. :gg:

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » December 12th, 2011, 8:54 pm

I just bought a Nintendo 3DS on Friday. Target was having a sale, by a 3DS for $169.99 and get a $50 Target gift card.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Post by Hiki » December 13th, 2011, 10:25 pm

I paid half of the Lion King Diamond edition my brother got. And my brother got Tangled for me (and the Princess and the Frog for himself) ;w; I knew he was getting the Lion King, but I didn't know he'd buy Tangled as well ;w;
Don't feed me violins.