on Coffee, Chocolate and other good things

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
oldwrench
Ojiichan

on Coffee, Chocolate and other good things

Post by oldwrench » August 26th, 2010, 5:26 am

How about a discussion of our favorite beverages, candies and other good things. After all, we have a Colombian here, he knows all about coffee....... right?

Actually, I'll start with a link to my latest method for coffee brewing. This actually works, the coffee keeps for two weeks without any loss of flavor, and you can quickly make a cup or your favorite expresso type drink. I'll leave this link to the site of the company that makes the brewer. Ask me any questions you have, cause I'm using the thing right now.

http://www.toddycafe.com/
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Re: on Coffee, Chocolate and other good things

Post by Zeratul2k » August 26th, 2010, 6:20 am

Well, I'm Colombian and love coffee on all forms and presentations but I actually know little about it... you can ask anything you want, though, and I'll bother people I know to get answers I don't know (a couple of uncles and an aunt of mine do work with coffee, so there :meh: )
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » August 26th, 2010, 7:05 pm

My favorite candy?
Toosie Rolls, I love that chocolaty goodness.

My favorite drink?
Coke Cola. It has caffine like coffee, only it actually tastes good.
:gg:
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » August 29th, 2010, 11:28 pm

This cold coffee brewing seems to work quite well. It uses a bit more coffee beans in the process, but you don't end up trowing out half a pot of stale coffee. The flavor doesn't degrade for at least two weeks when kept in the refrigerator. It only takes a few seconds in the microwave to heat water and add the concentrated coffee to have a fresh cup. The coffee concentrate works well with heated frothed milk to make latte's too.

*Worldwide, over 11 billion pounds of coffee change hands each year.

*More than half the adult population of the US drink coffee at the rate of 3.58 cups per day.

*A Latte, made with steamed milk, is the most called-for espresso beverage in the USA, if you ask for a Latte in Italy, you'll get a glass of milk.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » August 30th, 2010, 4:26 pm

My aunt has a coffee machine that make one cup at a time. She says you always get a fresh brewed cup that way.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » September 1st, 2010, 5:16 pm

I seem to be technically well equipped then with my Senseo.

Anyways: Latte means milk. your coffee is a Latte Macchiato which means "stained milk". Stained with a nice espresso. You can mix it or make it tricoloured and serve with straw. This way you can drink every layer as you please.

I need about 10-12 cups to go into overdrive or 2 cups to get up in the morning. Mmmhm that smell *drools*
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » September 7th, 2010, 2:49 pm

Gevalia's dark chocolate truffle coffee is very good.

In Brazil, over five million people are employed in the coffee trade, caring for more than three billion coffee plants.

It takes around 2000 coffee cherries to make one pound of coffee. All picked by hand.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » October 15th, 2010, 3:32 am

After using it a while...... cold brewed coffee works quite well.

Studies show that the human body only absorbs about 300 milligrams of caffeine at a time, the rest is just cast off and provides no additional stimulation. The human body dissipates about 20% of the caffeine in the system per hour.

MIT research indicates a 30% increase in alertness after only 30 mg of caffeine is consumed.

A can of Coca-Cola has about 45 mg of caffeine, a chocolate bar has about 80 mg. A single shot of espresso contains 90 - 150 mg of caffeine and a nice hot 8oz cup of coffee has about 184 mg............ Coffee rules!!

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » October 15th, 2010, 6:15 pm

I am kind of considered an outcast at work because I am the only one in our group that does not drink coffee. I drink so little caffeine that when I do get alot in a day I can't sleep at night.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » October 16th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Jh, maybe you could use a little caffeine? Didn't you always want to be one of the wired?

In regular coffee brewing, the caffeine has time to absorb into the water, extracting nearly 100%. In espresso brewing, only about 66% of the caffeine is extracted.

Arabica coffee beans contain 1 - 1.7% caffeine
Robusta beans contain 2 _ 4.5% caffeine.

Milk coats the stomach lining and slows the absorption of caffeine.

Over roasted coffee beans are very flammable during the roasting process.