Anime?

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
Sakura
Resident Kitty

Anime?

Post by Sakura » April 22nd, 2009, 5:20 pm

Hm what's anime again... :hmm:

I got the first episodes of "Sora wo Kakeru Shoujou" and "Cross Game" and I insist watching them until tomorrow.

If you dont mind please start a topic with your favorite newer series (e.g. 2009) and give a small overview. If there are any cute cats or winged creatures I'll make it sticky :meh:
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Re: Anime?

Post by JHawkNH » April 23rd, 2009, 3:17 pm

Which section do you want us to post our anime reviews in?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » April 23rd, 2009, 4:21 pm

The problem here is, by the time it's licensed and sold here, it's not that new anymore. I don't download fansubs, so what I watch is a bit older.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » April 23rd, 2009, 7:34 pm

oldwrench wrote:I don't download fansubs,
Woah that's creepy :gg:

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » April 23rd, 2009, 7:35 pm

JHawkNH wrote:Which section do you want us to post our anime reviews in?
Post whereever you like. By the way, what happened to Mriq?

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » April 24th, 2009, 7:32 pm

Sakura wrote:
JHawkNH wrote:Which section do you want us to post our anime reviews in?
Post whereever you like. By the way, what happened to Mriq?
I don't know. He just suddenly disappeared one day without saying goodby.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » April 24th, 2009, 10:32 pm

Say, what about live action dramas based on anime and/or manga? Like Gokusen or the old GTO drama?
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » April 25th, 2009, 9:34 am

I had a quick look at the two episodes.

Sora wo Kakeru Shoujou starts with a very futuristic sci-fi scenario and a 17 year old girl who is going to be married - by her guardian. Many tomboys, chasing scenes, space travel. Although it has really cute chibi-style droids this series is too fast for me to enjoy. I expect to get the 'Ranma 1/2' effect until end of the first episode. No, thanks.

Cross Game... omgwft it's a sports anime. <irony>I loooove sports anime</irony> especially when they come in very cheap character design (like Digi Charat). Especially when it's about baseball. Nobody on this world is playing baseball (except a few million people west of here. We digged a large canyon and filled it with water to lock them out of europe)

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » April 26th, 2009, 3:46 pm

I'll go over my favorites of this season:

K-ON! - About 4 girls that're trying to re-establish their school's light music club, 'cept their lead guitarist doesn't know how to play. Made with the same formula lucky star had, based off 4koma with 4 girls in a female bromance (sismance?), animated by Kyoto Animation, nothing really serious so far.

Pros: Let's make a band! feel, ending song has killer outfits, some other stuff only guys would understand

Cons: No story-like substance to speak of so far.

Chrome Shelled Regios - The Earth is now a desert, with an uninhabitible atmosphere and giant bugs called pollutant beasts reigning supreme. Humans are now confined to mobile domed cities, and must compete with other domed cities for precious natural resources if they want to survive. The story follows a new transfer student named fon-fon, who is a generic secretly uber main character that gets drafted into the 17th squadrion.

Pros: Nice survival setting, characters cute when sd

Cons: Probably not as serious as I made it sound (so much potential wasted), not much has happened in 15 eps (only one bug attack on the city), mystery ~1 min engrish scenes that hurt the ears of those who know better.

Valkyria Chronicles - Based off a PS3 game. Takes place in a fictional version of 1935 Europe, with nations at war. The story follows Gunther, a biology student and newly appointed commander of squad 7, as they take on the overwhelmingly powerful imperial army.

Pros: War! I can't remember the last time I've seen anyone use those WWII pea shooter rifles D: It'll be interesting to see what cool strategies Gunther comes up with using his knowledge of nature. Also has Marina Inoue as the lead heroine. Probably my fav of the 3

Cons: Again, not as serious as a war anime can be. Not really bloody, and you can tell none of the main characters are gonna die any time soon.

Fun fact, the opening to Valkyria Chronicles is one of the first songs sung by a Canadian anime fangirl that moved to Japan to try to make it in the anime song industry. She won an american idol-like contest for singing anime songs, beating out all the Japanese contestants even though her knowledge of Japanese wasn't great in itself. Besides being Canadian like me, a story of a girl chasing her dream against unlikely odds (A Canadian anisong singer...?) makes me want to support her.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » April 27th, 2009, 12:26 am

Arigat-mew for the insight. Nothing for me so far...