good things

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: good things

Post by oldwrench » June 28th, 2022, 5:06 am

AH, nice to know you are still here and still going . I have been away for a while, busy summer. Celebrated my 48th anniversary with SHE, who must be obeyed. We went out to a bed and breakfast for a night out, ended up buying a car, a 2021 Subaru CrossTrek. Our old Buick was getting a bit past it's use by date. We've had it for 15 years and it has 220,000 miles so I think we got our value out of it.

I watched a few good anime on our trip to Turkey, I'll have to check the titles and post a bit about them.

I haven't forgotten about the 5 min story. I have lots of ideas in my head, I just have to try to get them written down.

It's late and all good antiques like me need our sleep. I'll try to get on again soon.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » June 28th, 2022, 11:41 am

It's great to hear from you. I always get a slight panic when I don't hear from you for weeks.

These Buicks are unbreakable, just like the Mercedes 200D. And buying used cars which are only 1 year old (annual cars?) are a good deal. There are some videos on Youtube that claim it's cheaper to lease new cars for three years, but leasing for private individuals is frankly stupid! No leasing company will take less than the decrease in value and if only a scratch is there, there is still another hefty bill.

It's been 10 years since any anime came out for me... since anime became mainstream, I've totally lost interest and keep watching the old episodes over and over again.

I hope that it will continue with 5-minutes. Unfortunately, the nice gentleman who printed and hardbound Dinky's book passed away 5 years ago. But there is now a great service that can translate books with AI and gets amazingly good results (DeepL.com) Maybe I will "translate" 5 Minutes to German. For 8.99 euros, you can translate 5 Word documents for a month. Then we'll make you a world star of literature. Shiver me timbers, Stephen King! :)

I hope you have time again soon. Stay healthy and sleep well.
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » July 27th, 2022, 5:02 am

Shock and surprise!!!!! It's raining, almost an inch so far. We are stuck in the fourth driest summer on record. Driest was 1891 and second driest 1988. I remember 1988 well, I began selling lawn mowers at my shop that year........ you couldn't sell one to save your soul.

It's still a busy summer, too much running around. Hope things are going well for you. My raspberries did very well so far, even as dry as it has been. The garden hasn't been too bad either, I have had to water it a lot though. The new car is fun to drive, and the old buick went to one of my daughters for now.

I'm on the last book of the Destroyer men series, A story of a pair of WWII USS Destroyer class ships transported from a hopeless situation in the Pacific, at the start of the war, to the Pacific of a parallel but strangely different Earth, and into a new and very different war. It has been a good series, 15 books long though.

I'll try to get back again soon, good night .

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » August 3rd, 2022, 4:18 am

I got an email from Sango today, seems it was her 30th birthday. Nice to hear from someone I met here. I wish a few more of the old group would stop by and post here.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » August 3rd, 2022, 9:42 am

I don't think any of our old friends will stay here for more than 5 minutes, purely for nostalgic reasons. Back in the day, our visitors were a sworn community who shared (because of fansubs) a common fringe hobby. Now, the desire for anime is satisfied the American way: shell out $10 at BestBuy and take home a new DVD. In English, of course, and without subtitles.

And the kids don't need a forum for that, they'd rather kill themselves with TikTok. ( https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -challenge )

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » August 3rd, 2022, 9:47 am

It looks like I missed another post from you... while I was determined to reply on the same day....

Our system from (I think) 2004 is now so old that I had to disable several services in order not to endanger the security. Something must have happened to the notifications as well... :sob:

Now I don't know if it's still worth to put a lot of work into it, just for the two of us. So far I had no motivation for it. But nowadays there are very nice templates with which you can create good and modern websites quite fast. Olray is currently working on this one for his website: https://themeforest.net/item/canvas-the ... te/9228123

Kira_2
New User

Post by Kira_2 » September 6th, 2022, 5:00 am

Hello, it's old johnny boy... Er... *Cough*. Sorry. It's Kira. Back from the dead. I can't believe it's been what? 15yrs? Wow 15 years.
I don't know if any of the old gang is still on here as well?
If any of y'all do FB, Reddit or something. I'd love to get to talking to the band again.
I've been thinking about you all. Miss this little group.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » September 7th, 2022, 4:18 pm

Right now it's you, Oldwrench and the Goddess of Cuteness :gg:

Kira_2
New User

Post by Kira_2 » September 7th, 2022, 7:39 pm

lol, oh wow. Everyone really has dropped. I plan on sticking around. For a while.

How has our catness of cute. Been?

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » September 9th, 2022, 9:46 am

I'm currently purring around in Final Fantasy XIV after a quick trip to Genshin Impact failed. (It does that automatically, after all, if you can do the math).

Privately everything is okay I'd say, but as always on a low level.

How have you been?