good things

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
Sakura
Resident Kitty

Re: good things

Post by Sakura » March 24th, 2021, 11:00 am

Well a 2 TB external hard drive is $60, why bother? Seagate has just introduced 18 TB in one internal drive! :omg:
Shortly after that WD introduced their own 18TB drive. Imagine having all your anime on one single HDD :love:
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » March 30th, 2021, 4:12 pm

cause I can....... I'm too cheap to buy another drive........ I'm having fun searching through all those files........ my computer will open a 3mb file much faster than a 26mb file.

I haven't scanned around through lots of these files in years, (I'm going to post the ears, that I didn't even remember I had) I guess I'm just a pack rat.

Next I should try cleaning up the thousands of duplicates.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » April 3rd, 2021, 6:43 pm

I suggest the old (and free!) tool DuplicateCleaner for that task. I'm using it for everydays duplicate hunting since 2000 :love:

The forum doesn't allow to add exe files of course, here is a link to our Owncloud:
https://owncloud.hostingundservice.de/s/Bs3vCUZdX2MB3CF

(valid 7 days only)

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » May 8th, 2021, 4:23 pm

Mew mew :kiss:

I hope you and your family are well. I always worry when you don't visit the forum for a long time during the pandemic. After all, it's me who visits regularly now. :gg:

By the way, we still haven't been vaccinated against Corona. This is where the German thoroughness that we are always accused of fails! :) :sob:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 9th, 2021, 3:50 pm

sorry for not getting here more often. life has been getting in the way. I have been fully vaccinated, that is part of the problem, we have been able to do more. I can't stay long now, I have to get the computer hooked up for church service. We have been using our church's live stream since I have trouble sitting and wearing a mask that long. I will try to get back later today.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » May 11th, 2021, 6:04 pm

With us, they vaccinate from the older ones down to the younger ones. Although I already feel quite old, I should be happy for every week that I am NOT vaccinated. :hmm:

I have not yet heard of participating in a church sermon via video. It must be exciting because you can go to the toilet in the middle. Maybe the pastor should take a commercial break for that :gg:

The Americans have always been one step ahead of us in this kind of thing. :thumb:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 14th, 2021, 4:14 am

It is a rather simple thing with computers and you-tube streaming service. We have been recording services for years, and having them broadcast on local cable access, but now you can use live streaming services. It has been a real help during this pandemic. Our CDC has lifted the mask and gathering rules for those who have been vaccinated so I will be able to attend services in person again. Streaming is not as good as meeting as a congregation. You could check out our church services, they are stored on you-tube. Just search for Trinity Lutheran Church, Belle Plaine, Minnesota.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 14th, 2021, 4:28 am

Oh, I feel pretty bad today. SHE, who must be obeyed, decided we needed to get the new vaccination for shingles yesterday. Max is all over me, making typing all the harder. He decides to be a needy cat when you are busy with something. I should be feeling better tomorrow.

I did get the garden planted, now we just need some rain. After very wet springs the last few years, we have a very cool and dry one. THe last three months have been quite a bit below average for temp and rainfall.

There is a ghost in the machine....... I have a few die cast model pedal cars I collected from suppliers when I owned my auto repair shop. Some of them have functions like operating lights, sounds, and so forth, when you press a switch. One of them randomly flashes the lights with no one near it...... spooky.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » May 14th, 2021, 10:55 am

I have had shingles before and can tell you for sure that it is not a pleasant thing. Above all, permanent nerve damage can occur. :omg:

In reality, it is a second infection of chickenpox. Because of immunity, the viruses cannot spread through the bloodstream, but must pass through the nerve pathways. What is common is that the viruses can survive in the spinal cord for decades. Vaccination against chickenpox as a child would prevent this from the beginning.

Measles, chickenpox, Covid-19... my child will definitely get the full program

I have finally been able to teach my Sally to spare the cords under the desk after 9 years. So now she is mostly ON the desk. Cat logic. Just like the feline conclusion: "I nibble on the cable and my mistress scolds me. Conclusion: Only nibble on the cable when she is not there! :meh:

As you can see, I have a new translation program that - unlike me - is pretty good at English. Great, huh? :pat:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » June 7th, 2021, 3:56 am

Ah yes, cats and wires. Max doesn't chew wires too often, but I have to hide my ear buds, If he can get them, he pulls off the silicon ear pieces and bats them around till they're lost.

Your English has always been very good, much better than most of the young people I know of in this country, and many of the adults too.

I built a small Tesla coil kit. It's rather interesting, it works well, fun high energy effects. It is supposed to act as a speaker for a music player, I haven't tried that yet but others say it works quite well. My roommate and I built a large Tesla coil for high school physics class. It had a lot higher voltage than this small one, but the fact that it used a 10,000 volt neon sign transformer for the primary side power, it was quite a bit more dangerous to play with. Tesla envisioned sending electric power wirelessly, nice idea, but it causes a large amount of radio interference.