What are you watching?

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: What are you watching?

Post by oldwrench » April 3rd, 2012, 3:37 pm

Another very good anime, a fairly new one out, Princess Jellyfish. I'll have to write more about it later, after I finish it.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » April 10th, 2012, 5:05 pm

High School of the Dead.
If you want fan service, it's got fan service. Copious, ridiculous amounts of fan service. But I'm a huge zombie fan, so for now, I'm dealing with it because how many zombies-taking-over-the-world animes are there out there (and streaming on netflix)? Overall, it's good, though it would be even better if they toned down boobs and panty shots just a tad. :meh:
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » April 21st, 2012, 5:46 am

I finished Princess Jellyfish, and watched it again. It's a fun anime. A bit on the order of Wallflower..... but, from the opposite direction. Here we have the sisterhood, five nerdy "otaku" girls, living together in an old apartment building. They are totally freaked out by anything fashionable, turning to stone whenever approached by one of the "beautiful" people. There is a girl obsessed with samurai and the martial history of Japan. One girl is into trains, one is into older men, especially actors or public figures, one, the landlord's daughter and building manager, is into traditional Japanese dress, and her dolls. Last, the youngest and newest member, the focus of our story, Tsukimi. When she was young, her mother use to take her to see the Jellyfish at the aquarium, and told her that some day, she would make her a beautiful lacy dress, just like a jellyfish. She told Tsukimi that all little girls can grow up to be princesses.
But Tsukimi meets a beautiful, fabulous girl, who helps her rescue a jellyfish from a pet store where it was put in a tank where it would have died. This gorgeous girl follows Tsukimi home, and promptly falls asleep in her room. In the morning, Tsukimi has the frightening prospect that the other girls may find this beautiful creature in her room........ worse yet........ she, is a boy! Yes, Kuronoske is the one thing worse than having a beautiful girl there, a male.
All kinds of fun ensues as Kuronoske continues to visit and Tsukimi tries to hide the fact that she's a he. Then disaster.... a development company is trying to buy the apartment to tear it down. The girls will have no where to go. Can Kuronoske help them save their home. He's more than just a pretty face. He's going to turn the girls into beautiful people, and they go to the city development meeting where Kuronoske's older brother falls instantly in love with a beautiful girl he sees there (the transformed Tsukimi).
The plot gets deeper as the sexy head of the land development group tries to convince Kuronoske's brother to get his family to back the development. She's not beneath using any kind of blackmail she can come up with. There's plenty of intrigue, fun, romance? and friendship.
It's a short series, 12 episodes, no violence, a bit of understated romance, no fanservice, unless you count Kuronoske with his shirt off. It's different than the usual anime, not the really cute schoolgirls, but five plain wallflowers. And no, Kuronoske isn't homosexual, he may be a crossdresser, but he definitely isn't gay.

Watch this one, I think you'll like it.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.