What are you watching?

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Dinky » December 17th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Thanks, JH!
My bro brought over an anime series last night. Wagnaria (in English) or Working (in Japanese). Highly amusing! I recommend it to anyone, especially if you've ever worked in a restaurant.
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » December 17th, 2011, 4:36 pm

Continuing to watch Hell Girl, an interesting series in some ways. Not full of action or violence or love stories and such. It's based on emotions and revenge. There is an underlying story building about the Hell Girl. I'll have to see where they go with this.

I rewatched Tokyo Godfathers, it's only in subtitles, but I highly recommend it for for a Christmas movie. It's a sad sweet comedy drama about three homeless people who find a baby in the trash at Christmas time. One of them decides they have to find the mother of the baby and confront her. Over the course of the movie, we find out the stories of the three people, and of the baby.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Post by Hiki » December 17th, 2011, 10:51 pm

Oh right, I still need to watch Tokyo Godfathers! I remember E* telling me about it and how awesome it was x3
Don't feed me violins.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » December 19th, 2011, 2:04 am

Son just brought some new anime's for me to check out. I saw a couple discs of another to add to my favorites list, Squid Girl. Ya, I thought the title sounded pretty hokey and wasn't sure I'd like it, but, It's really funny.

Squid girl decides that humans should be punished for polluting the sea and comes to inkvade and take over the world.This fearsome creature instills terror in everyone at the Lemon Beach House restaurant, owned by the Aizawa sisters........... well, maybe not. Actually, after damaging the wall of the restaurant, she is forced to work as a waitress to pay for the damage. But this still doesn't stop her plans to invade and take over the humans. There are just a couple problems with her plans, such as, when Eiko asks her how she expects to control billions of people, sqid girl stares with big eyes and stammers Bbbbb...... billions? Eiko asks her how many people she thought there were, Squid girl answers, maybe a thousand? Let's just say, things don't go exactly as she had planned.
This series is English dubbed, non violent, unless you count the few comic punches, no bad language, this one is safe for all ages and is really worth watching if you want to roll around laughing.
JH, it's on sale this week at Rightstuf.
Invasion Squid Girl(1).jpg

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » December 19th, 2011, 4:29 pm

I saw that it was on sale at Rightstuf and I wanted to get it, but I had just spent ~$250 in the previous two weeks at Rightstuf and my credit card is starting to metl from over use. I will be picking it up eventually, I am just a little concerned about how much I have spent so far this December. :swt:
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » December 19th, 2011, 8:55 pm

You can find episodes on the net for free, but I've just found subtitled.

It's worth putting up with the commercials, just to watch this crazy anime.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » December 20th, 2011, 4:25 pm

I am pretty sure it is on Crunchyrol where I have a subscription so I will not have to put up with commercials. I can even get it in HD.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » January 12th, 2012, 5:42 am

Just finished watching Sound of the Sky. It's a very nice anime, a bit on the order of Haibane Renmei. It's about friendships. It's in a future where the world has been mostly destroyed by constant war and a lot of the old technology is lost. 15 year old Kanata joins the military to become a bugle player. When she was a little girl, she was saved by a beautiful woman soldier, who played wonderful music on her trumpet. Kanata is sent to a remote town to join the group at the Clock Tower Fortress. There are four young women in the group. The comander Felicia, Rio, Noel and Kureha.

Plot Summary:After a cease-fire during a long war: A second-class Bugler soldier, Kanata Sorami, is reasigned to her new outpost to a stronghold Fortress in the little city of Seize, where other female soldiers reside to serve in a multi purpose task, 1st: maintain the fortress, 2nd: contribute to the traditions of the city since all are young females and the folklore tales that the young maidens keept a demon under control, and 3rd: also to be prepared in case of a non-probable attack due to the isolation of the city.

Life is an interesting mix of ups and downs as the girls become best of friends. That is, until the war comes to the city of Seize. Can the five young women find a way to protect the city, or perhaps, can they find a way to stop the war.

I'd recommend this one to you, Sakura.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » January 30th, 2012, 3:35 am

One of the best things about visiting my otaku big brother is getting to watch new anime!
I watched the rest of Wagnaria and have to say that I'm really hoping to see the next season ASAP! Good series...
I also watched the entire series (not very long) of an anime called "Yamada's First Time", which was hi-freaking-larious. The premise sounds not so hot (a girl- Yamada- with a goal of having sex with 100 guys, but she has to actually even do so much as hold a guy's hand first), so I was hesitant, but I'm super glad I gave it a chance. Very funny, very cute, with a healthy dose of insanity mixed with underpinnings of awkward teenage romance. Oh- and a handful of booby shots for those interested... :shy: Overall, the fan service is way less than I expected or than they could have easily thrown in. Good show!
Now I've got Ouran High School Host Club to watch. Excited!! :love: :thumb:
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » February 28th, 2012, 11:21 pm

Watched some good anime on my tiny video player on vacation.

Magic Shopping Arcade, Abenobashi: This is Gainax craziness. Arumi and Sasshi are typical 12 year olds living in the old shopping arcade Abenobashi. The area is being torn down for renovation, and Arumi's family is going to be moving away, it's a bad time for Sasshi. But nothing is what it seems in Abenobashi as the two find themselves in alternate worlds, similar to their own, but also very different. As they try to find their way back to their real world they encounter menacing mushrooms, big breasted pirates, killer kung-fu, a tripped out transvestite, dinosaurs, cavemen, and a mysterious sorcerer with a mid life crisis. There's no place like home, or so they say, but, returning home might not be so good either. 13 episodes, around 325 minutes, MA rating, it's lots of fun.

Area 88 ova's: Pretty good older animation, compared to the newer TV series, I don't think the story is as good and of course, the animation is not as good. Two ova's , about 195 minutes.

Chance Pop Session: (Chance Triangle Session) I really like "feel good" anime and this one is a good example. The story is very much reality-based and focuses on the quiet themes of friendship, hard work, discipline, perseverance, and the power of reaching for one's dreams. Centering around three girls, quiet, conservative, shy, Mizushima Akari, she is an orphan, ward of a preacher and his housekeeper. They don't give ages, but I think of her as about 18. Next is Aoyama Yuki, bright, friendly, outgoing, a hard working independent girl, about 17. Last, Nozomi Kaihara, maybe 15 an only child, she's heiress to the Kaihara fortune. She's bubbly and happy, but also kind and friendly. She has always loved to sing. All three start by attending a concert of the pop superstar Reika..... Akari, because she's enthralled by Raika's voice. Akari has been singing in the church choir since she she was taken in by the preacher. Akari dreams of some day being a star and moving peoples souls with her songs. Yuki works with the stage crew, she finally gets her chance to see Raika in concert and tells her boss that some day, that will be her up there. Nozomi is an over the top fan girl. Somehow, she just has to meet Raika, she would love to be able to sing like her. All three girls pick up entry forms, at the concert, to attend the prestigious Kaibara performing arts academy run by Kaibara Madoka, the foster mother of Raika. Akari and Nozomi enroll at the school and are picked by Kaibara for her personal S class. She says Nazomi's smile alone could sell a million records, and that Akari has that special voice, like the voice of an angel, that can move a persons soul. Yuki wasn't so fortunate, on her way to enroll, as she helped an elderly woman find her way, a theif stole her purse, and all the money she had. The money she was going to use to enroll in the academy. But Yuki's raw talent and energy weren't to be denied, her friends in a local street band invite her to be their lead singer and soon someone has videoed her performances and started a web site. Yuki's star is rising.
Fate, or maybe the angel of music, will draw the three together. But, through happiness and sorrow, illness and an overprotective parent, can the three girls achieve their dream? Also, what is it about a blue jewel that connects the girls fates? What is the tragic past that haunts Kaibara Madoka? Will Madoka's daughter, the beautiful Reika learn to accept the three girls, or is her mother abandoning her for some new talent?
It's a heartwarming tale that will have you cheering for Resonance- R3.
13 episodes, 325 minutes. PG rated

No cats, Sakura, but you'd like it anyway.