Commemorative Edition: Fruits Basket

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
Sakura
Resident Kitty

Commemorative Edition: Fruits Basket

Post by Sakura » March 6th, 2017, 12:57 am

Did I spell this right?

With Anime becoming mainstream in the US and slowly becoming mainstream in the EU I want to focus on these old school anime that lack the influence of the mainstream media.
This days anime is Fruits Basket. I hope to add an old school anime every semester (it's semester holidays until 1st of April)

Meowies! :meh:
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: Commemorative Edition: Fruits Basket

Post by oldwrench » March 6th, 2017, 4:30 am

I watched part of that series, it was quite funny. Quite a few of the old series are classic. What's your list of favorite classics?
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » March 19th, 2017, 5:10 pm

I suggest to everyone (in no particular order)
  • Eternal top 1: Everything Ghibli :love:
  • To Heart (of course!)
  • Sister Princess
  • Ah Megami Sama
  • Cardcaptor Sakura
  • Chobitsu
  • Onegai Sensei//Twins
  • Full Moon wo Sagashite
  • Hand Maid May
  • .hack
  • Hikaru no Go
  • Lucky Star (is where "Akari 2" finally won the CAG contest :gg:)
  • and of course the timeless chasing scene of Kareshi Kanojo no Jijo
And lots more of them... this is why I watch the old series over and over again. Oh I forgot "Vandread" if you need some action. It reminds me of your "5 Minutes"...

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » March 21st, 2017, 2:40 am

No Azumanga Daioh?

Full Metal Panic is a great series too.

Haibane Renmei is a favorite of mine too.

Neon Genesis Evangelion has to be one of the classics

can't forget Cowboy Bumblebee ..... and along the same lines, Trigun

in the vampire horror series, both series of Hellsing are classic, and Trinity Blood is right in there too.

Serial Experiments: Lain, is a great classic along with Boogiepop Phantom.

if you like those also try Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue.

There are so many more

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » March 30th, 2017, 7:24 pm

I also liked Haibane Renmei, however the series intentionally ends with a cliffhanger which is far from nice.
Azumanga is nice, too and I didn't forget to mention it intentionally. Chiyo-chan: "I was running out of convenience stores, so I am going to the eraser!"

I didn't watch any of the other series, not even NGE. I rarely like action anime, except Vandread because it focuses on the relationships between Hiki and the girl's. Also the end is fulminant and the ending theme of the 2nd series rocks.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » April 17th, 2017, 4:08 am

I think you need to see the latest Makoto Shinkai anime "Your Name" Kimi no Na wa. (Japanese) https://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/yourname/

It's a great story about time and the thrread of fate entangling two young people. We saw it at a theater over last weekend and it was stunning.
Mitsuha Miyamizu, a high school girl, yearns to live the life of a boy in the bustling city of Tokyo—a dream that stands in stark contrast to her present life in the countryside. Meanwhile in the city, Taki Tachibana lives a busy life as a high school student while juggling his part-time job and hopes for a future in architecture.

One day, Mitsuha awakens in a room that is not her own and suddenly finds herself living the dream life in Tokyo—but in Taki's body! Elsewhere, Taki finds himself living Mitsuha's life in the humble countryside. They randomly wake up in their own or the other's body. They begin to leave messages for each other trying to find out who they have become. Suddenly the phenomenon stops, and Taki sets out to find the girl and the real story begins.

Kimi no Na wa. revolves around Mitsuha and Taki's actions, which begin to have a dramatic impact on each other's lives, weaving them into a fabric held together by fate and circumstance.

And actually, switching bodies is just the lead in to the heart of the story. Several times, when I was sure I knew where the story was leading.......... suddenly, I would be stunned by something I had not anticipated changing the whole story.

This is the fourth largest grossing film of all time in Japan and the largest grossing anime ever worldwide.

Shinkai's work is wonderfully illustrated, rich and imaginative. It is drama and comedy, not violent and no fanservice. His best work yet and a must see.