5 Minutes: Reloaded

Stories posted here will be copied to the Fan Fiction page. Please only submit your own work.
Sakura
Resident Kitty

Re: 5 Minutes: Reloaded

Post by Sakura » June 1st, 2018, 3:58 pm

I should send a copy to America's Got Talent
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » June 7th, 2018, 2:32 am

I hit the wrong button and lost a couple hours of typing....WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » June 7th, 2018, 9:24 am

NOOOOOWIES :omg:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » June 9th, 2018, 5:46 am

After ranting for a few minutes and downing a couple of root beers, I got back to work. Here what I came up with. Remember we left Rydia and our two pilots up on the mech with a critically overloaded power unit. Arisa likes big explosions, this could be a doozy. But, there's more to the story, What about Georgianna's call to the colonel? Read on.

Chapter 50

Colonel Hellwind sat in his makeshift office in the old hotel building, staring at the screen of the communication unit on the desk. He had expected to have a report from the team investigating the maintenance base by now. He hoped there hadn’t been any trouble. Daniel still believed Dominic Torres was on their side.

A rather dejected looking princess entered the office and flopped herself down in the overstuffed chair across from the desk. Daniel looked up at the unhappy woman. “This doesn’t look too hopeful,” he commented. “No luck with the ambassador?”

“I can’t see any way to salvage the situation,” Melpomene moaned. “The only possibilities I see are either to turn them loose and let the chaos begin, or have the EDF crush them and rule them with an iron fist. Both of those are unacceptable. They would set the empire back hundreds of years.”

Daniel looked down at his hands, he felt defeated. The mission was in tatters and it was his fault. He should have recognized the problem with captain McFairlane and stopped it. Now the peace conference was ruined. To top it off, he hadn’t had any word from his away team or on the search for Edward Geraldine. Maybe he should have sent the pilots with their mechs....... No, he didn’t want them to have to fight that huge machine, they didn’t know what it was capable of. But, why hadn’t they checked in?

Yuki’s face came on the com unit screen. “Colonel Hellwind, there is a request for communication from captain McFairlane,” she informed him.

“I’ll take it here,” Daniel ordered. He was relieved, but a bit concerned. Why was McFailane contacting him and not Ross? The screen switched to Captain McFarlaine, visual, she was apparently in a com center, at least they had gotten into the base. “Report your situation, captain,” the colonel ordered.

“We have secured the objective without incident,” Georgianna reported with curt military precision. “We have located Tores and the girl and have them in custody. The weapon has a power system malfunction and is not operational at this time.” Georgianna leaned forward, her attitude becoming more demanding. Sir, Torres claims he followed the girl to convince her to turn the mech over to the EDF. He says she has agreed to do it. I don’t think we can trust him. Ross wants to repair the weapon. He thinks they are going to just take it up to the Krikav and turn it over to you once it’s operational, to keep it away from the Red Faction. I think that’s too dangerous. Ross said he is going to remove the cannon and you could have a shuttle pick it up and stow it on the Krikav........ but if he gets that monster running........ Sir, you have to order him not to repair that mech. He won’t listen to me.

Colonel Hellwind sat back and considered the situation. He was relieved that they had found Torres and the girl and secured the weapon without incident. He wanted to trust Dominic, but could he? Why had Ross put him in custody? He needed to be there to see the situation for himself, then he could............. Daniel almost started laughing. Dominic Torres came into the com unit’s field of view. It certainly was odd custody when Dominic had a sidearm in his holster. It appeared Chad trusted Dominic more than Georgianna let on.

“No, I’m not going to order him not to work on that mech, captain.” He informed Georgianna. “My orders are to secure that machine and anyone involved in it’s development. It won’t be secure till I have it aboard the Krikav.” The colonel noticed the look of disappointment and anger on the captains face. “I’ll send the maintenance shuttle to pick up the cannon. That should render the mech relatively harmless.” Daniel knew that Georgianna could be volatile in the wrong situation. “Captain, I want you to keep a close watch on the situation. If Ross gets that mech repaired, make sure that neither Torres nor the girl pilots it without my direct orders.”

That seemed to mollify the captain. “Yes sir,” she replied.

“Now, I want to talk with Torres, in private,” the colonel ordered. Georgianna turned and looked at Dominic, then looked back at the colonel and nodded. She got up and left the room.

Daniel looked Dominic over as the man sat down in front of the com. He’s let his hair grow long and wore a full beard, but the dark brown eyes were the same. “Ok Dominic, what’s the story?”

Dominic looked down at his hands, twisted together on the console. “I’m not a deserter, colonel. I know what it must look like but I would never do that.” Dominic tried to convince the colonel. “I couldn’t let Rydia run off with that thing all alone. They would be after her. Where would she go, what would she do?” Dom looked up at the the screen. Daniel could see the sincerity in his eyes. “I was a fool at Mar Sara, I must have thought I was superman or something. I didn’t stand a chance, I was lucky to survive. I was captured, that’s how I met Rydia. She’s the one who designed that mech and the cannon. She was a orphan, raised by remnants of the pirates. They told her that the EDF murdered her family. She grew up believing EDF pilots are all homicidal maniacs. That we enslave the colonies. Edward Geraldine sweet talked her into believing that the Red Faction was just trying to free the colonies, to protect the people from the evil Empire. But Rydia intercepted Geraldine’s communications. She discovered their plans. She found out the Red faction weren’t the good guys they claimed to be, that they had caused the disaster at Tarsonis. And, she found out about the nukes they planned to set off on Mar Sara to start a second colonies war. Rydia was confused, she snuck in to see me, to find out for herself the truth about EDF pilots. I guess she believed me, she helped me escape and wreck the controls to the nukes. I tried to get her to turn Atropos, that’s what she calls that mech, over to the EDF, but she still wasn’t ready to trust the Empire. I had to stay with her, colonel, I knew the Red Faction would be hot to find her. They’re building more of those weapons, but she’s the only one with the operating system to make it all work. I guess it’s pretty complicated. I had to convince her that the best thing would be to turn it over to the EDF. She was finally ready to do it but the mech had a power failure, we couldn’t move it.”

The colonel studied Dominic as he told his story, he was sure there was no deceit intended, unless he was a better actor than Daniel was willing to believe. “I wish you would have informed me of your intentions, Dom.” Daniel told him.

“I tried sir, when I handed over that data chip, but there really wasn’t much time.” Dominic confessed. “I sent a message to general Parker a few weeks ago, but he never answered.”

Daniels expression darkened. The general told him the EDF hadn’t had any word from Torres. The only information on Torres they had been able to find had been from communication inside the OMI. Someone in the OMI was intercepting the general’s messages. Were the other people here searching for Torres from the OMI, or from the Red Faction? “The general didn’t get your message.” Daniel told him. “It looks like someone in the OMI is intercepting them.”

Dominic looked worried. “They might be controlled by the Red Faction, sir,” he told the colonel. “There is someone behind the Red Faction, someone powerful enough to infiltrate the EDF. They do something to peoples minds, brainwash them or something, to get them to join their side. They want to start a war, to take over the Empire.”

“That’s just about the way we have it figured, Dom,” Daniel told him. The colonel made a decision. “Alright captain, I want you to bring that girl here as soon as you can get her away from Chad. I’m sure, by now, he’s diving head first into that mechs problems. The Sheffield is bringing a couple of the scientists that have been involved in decoding that data chip. I have orders to let them meet anyone involved in developing that mech as soon as possible. Chad can stay there to work on it, the others will stay there as security.”

“Won’t that cause troubles, sir,” Dominic questioned. “They think I’m a deserter, maybe one of the others should bring her in.”

“She knows you and trusts you, Dom,” the colonel told him. “She might change her mind if all she has is strangers around her. If anyone questions you, captain, you were on an extended mission since the Mar Sara battle. You had better send Georgianna back in here. If I don’t inform her of your orders, she’s likely to think you’re deserting......... again.”

Georgianna headed toward the hangar. The colonel was right, Chad’s plan made sense. It was probably the best way they could make sure they could secure the mech. She had acted on her emotions again, without thinking things through. How could she be so stupid? Georgianna heard Chad shout and Arisa scream. She drew her gun as she sprinted for the hangar door.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » June 28th, 2018, 5:21 am

Is everybody ready for the big bang? One of these days our pilots luck is going to run out, and it will be the end of the story.......... or will it. Maybe they will come back to haunt the Krikav? Well, time to find out if they can cheat the Grim Reaper one more time. Read on.

Chapter 51

Colonel Hellwind frowned at the screen. Dominic had suddenly jumped up and darted away. Something had happened, something had gone wrong, and he had no way of knowing what was going on. All he could do was sit and worry.

Chad wanted to yell at everyone to run, to get away, but it was useless, there was no time. When a power unit was in thermal runaway there was very little time to react......... and Rydia didn’t have the training. None of them would get away, with six power units so close together, there wouldn’t even be an island left. An overloaded power unit was the most powerful, non nuclear explosive ever developed.

Chad dived into the cockpit, across Rydia sitting in the pilots chair, reaching for the power unit screen. He scrolled through pages, loosing precious seconds, searching for the page of the overheated unit. He found the page and instantly saw it, his worst nightmare, the control rods had shut down......... the core was failing, the temperature was almost 2800K, there was one last safety....... but was it too late? He reached up to touch the control but he was slipping, loosing his balance across the pilots chair. Chad tried to grab something, anything to pull himself up. Rydia cried out as Chad grabbed her arm, she twisted, he couldn’t get enough leverage to pull himself up....... he had to reach that screen, he had to hit that control......... they were out of time! Arisa’s small arm flashed across Chad’s vision as she dived for the emergency shut down. Out of the corner of his eye, Chad saw her hit the control, but he also saw the flashing red line had hit the end. The core had exceeded 2800.

Chad closed his eyes and prayed. Please let it stay together, don’t let it fail. He could feel it...... see it in his mind, the shutters slamming down between sections of fuel rods. Valves opening to allow pressurized jets of coolant gel to draw the heat from the cores to the metal shutter heat sinks and from them to the power unit case. But if the core temperature had gone too high, if too many of the rods had failed, the gel would flash to vapor and the pressure would crush more of the rods. The thousand thin rods, made of carbon nanotubes and high temperature superconductors, would instantly release their enormous store of energy in an incandescent ball of heat that would incinerate everything for several kilometers radius.

Chad opened his eyes and stared at the flashing red line. Hours passed before the line fell back one precious notch. Chad let out the breath he had been holding and realized it had only been moments, not hours. He couldn’t hold his breath longer than that.

As soon as he heard Arisa scream, Ben had jumped onto the mech and climbed to the cockpit. “What’s going on here?” He boomed out as he jumped onto the cockpit ledge. Ben grabbed the back of Chad’s shirt and hauled him out of the cockpit and set him on his feet. Chad held on to the edge of the cockpit. His legs felt weak.

Rydia sat, bent over forward in the pilot seat, her face in her hands, sobbing loudly. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” she kept repeating. Arisa wrapped shaky arms around the distraught girl. “It’s ok, it’s not your fault,” she comforted Rydia. “You didn’t do anything wrong. The machine broke, there was nothing you could do about it.” Arisa shivered, it had been too close. She wanted to see and hear big explosions, not be part of one.

Ben looked into the cockpit and immediately noticed the flashing red bar graph. “Holy mother.........” Ben gasped. “Is that what I think it is?” He saw Chad nod and noticed how shook up he looked. He also noticed how pale and shaky Arisa looked. “How close was it?” Ben asked.

“Off the scale,” Chad answered, “we should be dust.”

Ben swallowed hard, “buddy, you are too dangerous to hang around with,” he got a wry smile on is face, “or, too lucky not to.”

Ben climbed down from the machine, ready to help the girls if they needed it. Georgianna met him, gun still in her hand, as he climbed off the machine. “What’s going on?” She demanded.

Dominic rushed up and stopped next to Georgianna. “Ya, what’s happening? I heard a scream.”

Ben looked at the two with a strained grin. “Nothing much,” he answered them. “Just a bit of a runaway power unit. Seems we got lucky, Chad said it was off the scale.”

Georgianna turned ashen, she remembered the runaway power unit in her mech, Reina, only a few months earlier at Mar Sara. She remembered the terror when the safety systems failed due to the sabotage. Georgianna felt sick.

Ben looked down at her and noticed she was pale and shaking. “Are you alright captain?” He reached down and gently took her gun out of her hand before she dropped it. “I don’t think this would have been of much help this time, captain,” he told her gently. “But it’s sure nice to know you have my back if I need it.”

Georgianna looked up at the big man, his solid presence and calm demeanor made her feel stronger. “Thanks Ben,” she told him as she reached for her gun. “I was just remembering Mar Sara.”

“Was it really that close?” Dominic questioned, hoping maybe Ben was exaggerating things.

Ben turned to help Rydia off of the machine. “Scared the heck out of Chad so, ya, it must have been really bad.” He grinned as he helped Arisa down from the mech. “The colonel would have killed us for messing the mission up.”

“Ya, right,” Dominic answered. “Oh..... Georgianna, the colonel wants to talk with you. Are you up to it? Darn, I just ran out and left him hanging, he’s probably going crazy.”

Georgianna took a deep breath, “I’ll be ok. I’ll let the colonel know what the situation is.” She looked up at Chad as he climbed down the Machine. “Do you still think you can fix it?”

“I should be able to,” Chad answered as he jumped down. “I’ll know more when I check the power diagrams.” Chad looked at Rydia, “it’s a good thing you didn’t try taking that second shot at Mar Sara. With six power units that close, there wouldn’t have been any battle, there would just be a big crater where that mountain had been.

Arisa stepped up next to Chad and took his arm, she was smiling and her eyes were sparkling. “How many mega-tons would that explosion be?” She wondered. “Six power units........ I have to check the figures. I wonder if I could get six units and try..........”

“DON’T EVEN THINK IT!” Georgianna turned back toward the group and cut her off. She was smiling as she looked at Arisa. “Some things even you shouldn’t be allowed to try.”

Ben laughed, “the captain’s right. Besides, Chad would get upset if you blew up six perfectly good power units.

Arisa gave them a cute pout. Everyone laughed.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » June 28th, 2018, 12:14 pm

oldwrench wrote: June 9th, 2018, 5:46 amafter downing a couple of root beers
Ah the Linux administrator's favorite beer :love:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » August 16th, 2018, 5:40 am

And many Root Beers later........ I finally have the next chapter. Is Georgianna going to go ballistic when the colonel tells her to let Dominic and Rydia return to the city? Is Chad going to figure out why Atropos is trying to blow itself up? Ok, I don't have much time to think about it......

Chapter 52

Colonel Hellwind felt relief as he saw captain McFairlane sit down in front of the com unit, but, even on the com monitor, he could tell that the woman was a bit pale. “What happened captain? What’s the situation?”

“There was a problem with the mech, a runaway power unit.” She reported. “It was a near thing. If that girl had tried to start that mech without a tech there.” The colonel could see her shudder. “That thing has six power units, and she had no training in emergency procedures.”

“Then it’s a good thing we had people there with the training to handle it.” Daniel told her. “The EDF would have been upset with me if I had lost that many people.” Daniel stiffened up. “Captain, we can’t chance losing that girl if she is the key to that weapon’s operation. I’ve ordered captain Torres to bring the girl here as soon as Chad can let her leave. The rest of you will remain to provide security.”

“But colonel,” Georgianna broke in, “Torres can’t be trusted. He deserted. He ran once, we don’t know that he won’t again.”

Daniel sighed. “Captain McFairlane, I want you to get this straight. Torres did not desert the EDF. After being held captive on Mar Sara, he followed that weapon to try to convince the girl to turn it over to the EDF. He may be insubordinate and foolish, but he isn’t a deserter. I have orders to secure anyone involved in the development of that weapon. Bringing Rydia here is the best way to do that, and she knows Dominic, she’ll feel more comfortable with him. I don’t want to frighten her into not cooperating with us. I also need to protect that weapon till we can get it to the Krikav. I need you and Ben to keep watch, we aren’t the only ones trying to find it. Lieutenant Higgens can help with repairs and, if worse comes to worse, use her explosives to wreck the thing without completely destroying the island.”

“I understand, sir” the captain replied. The colonel could tell that she still thought this was a bad idea.

“Don’s worry captain,” he assured her, “I’m sending Kaze’s mech to escort the shuttle. We aren’t going to lose them.”

“Yes, sir,” Georgianna answered, looking a bit more convinced.

Chad scowled at the tiny diagrams on the small screen of Rydia’s tablet. If he expanded the picture till he could read the diagram, he lost the overall picture. “This is no way to read technical diagrams,” he grumbled. Chad carried the tablet to a console along the wall and set it down. The console had a large screen inset into it and a three meter screen on the wall. Chad touched the controls and the screens came to life. He manipulated the controls on the screen and tablet and soon the image from the tablet was displayed on the console and wall screens. “Now we’re getting somewhere,” he stated happily.

Rydia looked surprised at Chad’s skillful use of the console, “how do you know how to operate all this equipment?”

“He’s a master tech, like I said,” Arisa answered Rydia. “Chad’s used all this stuff before.”

Chad was studying the diagrams. “It’s standard EDF maintenance base equipment, a bit old but they haven’t changed it much over the years,” he told Rydia. “Ok, this must be the power balancing system. What are all these dots and lines, some kind of binary code? If you were trying to encrypt your notes, that would be too easy to decrypt.”

“It’s not binary,” Rydia informed him. “It’s a lost language that my father and a few other researchers were working on. I learned it when I was little. I could write notes with it that nobody else could read.”

“A language? That’s weird,” Arisa said as she looked closer at the marks. “That must drive those cryptologists crazy. Where did it come from?”

“My dad didn’t know where it originated,” Rydia told her. “It was called morse it was from long before the imperial era and they only had a few examples of it.” She looked at Chad, “will you want me to translate it for you?”

“Ah...... I guess I don’t really need that if I can figure out what damaged the power cores.” Chad answered. “It felt like all the units were running out of sync, like something hit all of them.” Chad studied the diagrams for several minutes. “I don’t see any reverse EMF surge protection, maybe it was built in the weapon?”

“I don’t know,” Rydia confessed. “What is that?”

“When a solenoid or electric coil is turned on and off it will create reverse spike of high voltage. the protection blocks and dumps that spike.” Chad informed her. “Without it the voltage spike can cause damage......... Ok, here’s the weapon diagram.” Chad studied the drawings. “here’s the protection circuit........ Crap....... Whoever built the weapon built in protection for the power unit, but the power coupling to the mech is connects to the power buss before the protection circuit. They must have expected surge protectors built into the mech........ I would have. I’m just wondering why the problem wouldn’t have shown up when you tested the weapon...... Ah, you did test fire the weapon, didn’t you?”

“Oh yes, se tested the weapon several times,” Rydia answered, “but it wasn’t hooked up to Atropos. When I fired it at Mar Sara was the first time it was fired while on the mech. Atropos worked fine in tests before I fired the weapon.”

“Ya, it would have,” Chad told her, “until that reverse surge hit the power units.”

Rydia was near tears. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know. I thought all I had to do was get the power units in sync and it would be fine.”

“Don’t let it upset you,” Arisa comforted her. “Nobody knows it all, that’s why they have teams of engineers design these things........ And even then, they mess it up sometimes.”

Rydia sniffled, “thanks Arisa....... I didn’t know things could go so wrong. I didn’t want to use the cannon, I didn’t want to hurt anyone. Edward told me I would never have to use the weapon. That just having it would keep the Empire from starting a war with the colonies.”

Chad sighed. “It’s an old idea, and it always turns out the same. If I have the ultimate weapon, I can force peace on everyone. But there is no ultimate weapon, someone makes a more powerful one. And there is always someone who thinks they can use the weapon to become the ruler of the universe.”

“Maybe it would be better if we just got rid of Atropos.” Rydia sniffled. “If we destroyed it, no one could use it to kill anyone.”

Arisa could see how much it hurt Rydia to think of destroying her mech. “We won’t destroy Atropos,” she assured the girl. “It wouldn’t help. You told us that they were building more of these, and, the empire has the blueprints for building it. They may not have the computer software, but they would figure it out. It may take a while, but they would figure it out.”

“She’s right,” Dominic told Rydia. “Once the design is out, you can never hide it away again......... We should be leaving, the colonel will be waiting for us and Kaze will be here any minute to escort us to the city.” He looked at Chad, “do you need Rydia, or can we leave?”

“I should be able to work it out, it’s just a matter of getting the power units back to spec.” Chad answered. “Don’t keep the colonel waiting....... Rydia, I copied the diagram files to the base console, but I will need the operating system to be able to test the systems.”

“I don’t know.......” Rydia hesitated.

“It’s alright,” Dominic assured her. “If Chad says he needs it, you can be sure he does. Don’t worry, he’ll take good care of Atropos for you.”

“Ok,” Rydia agreed. “If you say so, Dom. I can make a copy and Chad can use his own print for security on it.”

“Good, I see Kaze is here,” Dominic answered. “Make the copy and we can get on our way.”

After they made the copy, Chad stood watching as Rydia walked away. Arisa came up beside him and wrapped her arm in his. “Is she that interesting?” Arisa asked him, petulantly.

Chad looked down at her scowling face and chuckled. “No, kitten, it’s just that she reminds me of someone I knew,” he answered. “They say we all have a look alike somewhere.” He laughed again. “I better get to work on this thing, I can’t make a liar out of Dominic. You want to help me?”

Arisa grinned, “sure, I want to see what that mech is like when it’s operating.”

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » August 22nd, 2018, 10:42 am

Mreoww and I want to purrogram that thing. I want it to target stupid people only. Hmm need a self-learning algorithm that find a persons IQ by looking at him. Hm results have to be categorized on a scale from Einstein to "stable genius" :meh:
Can I order three of them, Colonel Hellwind? :kiss:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » August 29th, 2018, 4:47 am

problem with IQ is, it has little to do with a person's sanity......... or common sense. Take our current government as an example, many of our leaders have high IQ's, but are really stupid when it comes to common sense. This could be why they act like a bunch of children fighting to get their way.

Oh, I'm still working on the story, just hard to find time over the summer months. What's going to happen when Rydia meets the other pilots and the princess? How about the reunion of Dominic and Rose...... they say absence makes the heart grow fonder, that could make for a steamy scene. What will happen if Chad gets the mech running? Or will the Red Faction find them. Will the colonel find Edward Geraldine and take out his revenge against him? This could get fun.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » September 15th, 2018, 7:52 pm

And we still need to get back to the question why Georgianna cannot shoot everyone in sight. :gg: :gg: :gg: