Becoming a novelist

Stories posted here will be copied to the Fan Fiction page. Please only submit your own work.
Elvin
Fan
Fan

Becoming a novelist

Post by Elvin » February 8th, 2009, 10:24 pm

A lot of the members here like to write. Has anyone ever considered trying to go pro at it? I had a talent for it in highschool but I never developed it, and instead tried getting into pharmacy because my dad wanted me to. Now I've failed to get in 2 (probably 3) times and my dad's out of the country, so I've started writing again. I write out a story in my (haha) spare time which I have crazy thoughts of submitting to my local literary agents if it ever gets done, but my literary skill hasn't improved beyond a highschooler's level. Does anyone have similar thoughts?

xXemobunnyXx
Established Member
Established Member

Re: Becoming a novelist

Post by xXemobunnyXx » February 10th, 2009, 3:12 pm

:omg: I actually DO want to go pro at this, I've been writing since I was ten and have over 50 ideas for different novels. I have a writers market directory, and if I ever finish one of mine it will go out to as many publishers as possible.
Little girls can love unconditionally....and they can hate unconditionally as well...

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » February 10th, 2009, 9:46 pm

:ho: Excellent, a like-minded individual. I also have an abundance of ideas (only 12 books worth though...). I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm looking to debut in the sci-fi young adult category, as my current writing skill isn't at the level an adult could take seriously :sob:. My entire story's planned out in my head, I'm just having trouble with the transition to paper. I'm at 17.4k words now, and according to my research (google) ~85k is a good goal to aim for in your debut. They won't even look at one that's too long from an unknown, twilight being the super fluke.

agito_0291
Full Time Otaku
Full Time Otaku

Post by agito_0291 » February 11th, 2009, 5:19 am

At this time I am trying to do something about that. For about the last month and a half I've been working with an old college professor of mine who has published a couple of novels. Our plan is to have a couple stories (at this point I'm working on short stories. I feel that It's good to start small then work up to a full length novel) done by the end of this semester. He will hopefully be able to get me in touch with the right people and if nothing come about from it, I will at least know the process. After a bit more revision I'll post what I'm working on now. It won't be even close to being finished but at least I'll be able to get some feedback from other people.

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » February 11th, 2009, 2:58 pm

Aha, so you have a connection, lucky you :sob:

What genre are you two going for?

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » February 11th, 2009, 4:26 pm

I like to write, but my skill is no where near good enough to go pro. Besides, I make more money as a systems Admin.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » February 11th, 2009, 7:00 pm

I bet he's crashing other peoples systems and requires good payment to get the systems running again? :hmm:
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » February 12th, 2009, 12:16 am

JHawkNH wrote:I like to write, but my skill is no where near good enough to go pro. Besides, I make more money as a systems Admin.
I great idea will make up for lack of skill. I started writing because I felt that I had to get my world on paper.

agito_0291
Full Time Otaku
Full Time Otaku

Post by agito_0291 » February 12th, 2009, 5:15 am

Elvin wrote:What genre are you two going for?
I actually try not to limit myself to a certain genre or age group. To me things vary so much between each and every thing that I write. For example what I am writing right now looks like it will be more along the lines of a Science Fiction/Horror targeting older teenagers/adults but that doesn't mean that it will still be that way when I am done. And that most certainly doesn't mean that my next story/idea will be horror as well.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » February 12th, 2009, 3:27 pm

Sakura wrote:I bet he's crashing other peoples systems and requires good payment to get the systems running again? :hmm:
Hey! No giving my secrets away. :pif:
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.