Becoming a novelist

Stories posted here will be copied to the Fan Fiction page. Please only submit your own work.
Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Re: Becoming a novelist

Post by Hiki » May 8th, 2009, 5:16 pm

Have you read the Bartimaeus trilogy? It's really good and first person POV (not sure whether it's present though, it's been a while since I read it...) It's also very funny. And it has plenty of action in it :D

I don't really know any other first person POV books... Well, I do, but they're without any action whatsoever.

If you need more action, though, you could try "Skulduggery Pleasant". The writer actually knows kenpo (karate) so his descriptions of the action is really realistic and quite detailed. It's not first person POV, though. (But it's really awesome!!)

Hope this helps a bit...
Don't feed me violins.

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » May 8th, 2009, 9:55 pm

Awsome, I'll give 'em a look. Thanks.

agito_0291
Full Time Otaku
Full Time Otaku

Post by agito_0291 » May 9th, 2009, 5:47 am

Second that recommendation although I never got around to reading the last book. :swt:

For others first person PoV...you'd actually be surprised at how many books are written in that perspective. I'd suggest going to your local bookstore and just spending some time reading some.
Books with amazing action sequences- There was one trilogy that I've read that I really enjoyed that had above average action scenes was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Obsidian_Chronicles.
Another great series that I would recommend to anyone is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASOIAF. It does an amazing job with "Head jumping" or having a large cast of characters that act as the PoV. Many people who write in this way do a bad job but George Martin does it superbly. A warning though. Both books I only recommend to MATURE minds. Both have sex in them (Obsidian only in one or two scenes but there is a lot in ASOIAF) as well as other things that would make them rated R as a movie.

The Perspective in a story is rather crucial and if you think it will work well as 1st person than most likely it is what you should use. But at the same time, according to some professionals, 1st person is most used by beginners because it is easier. What is your story about? How quick paced is it going to bet? Based on flow of the story you can get a pretty good idea of the perspective. 3rd person distances the reader while 1st puts them in the middle of the action. 3rd person will become more wordy while 1st person (especially in action sequences) will become very choppy in order to create the quick pace that is associated with action.

Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Post by Hiki » May 9th, 2009, 1:24 pm

Elvin wrote:Awsome, I'll give 'em a look. Thanks.
No problem :D
Don't feed me violins.

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » May 9th, 2009, 3:00 pm

I'll get through Hiki's books before I check out Agito's. In all honesty I think 3rd person would read better (or maybe I'm too used to it so anything else seems weird), but as I said, the character's thoughts and how he interprets things is a huge part of my story.

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » May 17th, 2009, 3:01 am

What do YOU look for in a good book? Any particular elements that attract you? (like I enjoy a good romantic interest in my animes) or anything you don't think a good book could do without?

Hiki, be a dear and tell me exactly where the fight scenes are? I foolishly purchased the ebook from a store around my school and I can't stand the reader's voice.

Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Post by Hiki » May 17th, 2009, 11:08 pm

From which book, Skulduggery? Or Bartimaeus? I can't look it up exactly because the books are at my sister's and it has been a while since I've read them (especially Bartimaeus). ((Well bad, I know))

Skulduggery's scenes would be in the second chapter (Or maybe even the first... at least it's somewhere in the beginning) and at the chapter before the last one (I think) and somewhere in the middle, the chapter after the chapter called the "torture room" (or chamber) which is written in italic (and there's only two or so of 'em so you're bound to find it).

As for Bartimaeus, it's somwhere at the end (the second book, however, involves Kitty and she's a non-magic user so her fighting scenes are definitely nicer) I suppose. If you scan through the parts which are Bartimaeus' p.o.v. you're bound to find fighting scenes. Though you have a pretty nice escape when it comes to Nathaniel's p.o.v. in the beginning when the house burns down (I think that might be the third or fourth time you get Nat's p.o.v. but of course I'm not entirely sure).

When I visit my sister I will check where they are exactly :shy: Sorry I can't do more to help for now :shy:
Don't feed me violins.

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » May 18th, 2009, 1:52 am

I meant skulduggery. Won't be fun fast forwarding until I find it :x

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » August 31st, 2009, 8:41 pm

Alright guys, I've been dedicating my time to writing since around mid-July, and if I've learned anything, it's how utterly untalented I am at writing novels and how small my vocabulary is :omg: . I'm half done the first draft, clocking in at ~55k words, and that's taken me about a year after balancing school and life. Luckily, I seem to be better at editing than writing, so it's been improving with each run I take at it.

Anyone else actually started?

Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Post by Hiki » August 31st, 2009, 10:16 pm

Writing a novel is hard work *nods*

Started what though? :swt:
Don't feed me violins.