Oldwrenche's fuzzy view of Anime Detour

Stories posted here will be copied to the Fan Fiction page. Please only submit your own work.
oldwrench
Ojiichan

Oldwrenche's fuzzy view of Anime Detour

Post by oldwrench » May 17th, 2009, 4:36 pm

So here I am with some bad pictures of my three days at Anime Detour con. I had a great time, and got to see some friends again. The crowd of young people was fun to watch, and pretty well behaved. There were 4000 attendees this year.

In the beginning there was..........
DSCF3950 (Large).JPG

Ok, I don't know what that was........ but it was the beginning. Next the guests were introduced, here are a few.

Greg and Cris Ayres
DSCF3959 (Large).JPG
Carrie Savage
DSCF3960 (Large).JPG
Kyle Hebert
DSCF3963 (Large).JPG
The Ayres brothers with their "Look a likes"??
DSCF3964 (Large).JPG

Well that was the beginning, more in the next chapter.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: Oldwrenche's fuzzy view of Anime Detour

Post by oldwrench » May 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm

On to the panels and the rest of the show. I went to a panel by the ever popular and always interesting Greg Ayers. He was only at Detour for one day this year, he had another con he always attends the same weekend. He is still recovering from a mild heart attack that happened in February. He assured us that rumors of his demise were greatly exaggerated. He talked a lot about anime's he's voiced, and the state of the industry, about his hospital experience and the recovery process. his panel was supposed to go for an hour and a half, it went more than two hours. We love the guy.
DSCF3965 (Large).JPG
Even Utena was in attendance at Greg's panel.
DSCF3966 (Large).JPG
After the panel, I ran into a pair of twins dressed as....... well, twins I guess. Don't ask me who most of the characters are, I don't remember.
DSCF3967 (Large).JPG
Artist alley was a large area in the middle of the show. They got a lot of traffic this year. There is some exceptional work done by some of the people.
DSCF3968 (Large).JPG
I think I'd stand back from these guys. He has one big...... ah, sword?
DSCF3969 (Large).JPG
Well, out of time for now....... stay tuned for the next thrilling set of fuzzy pictures. Maybe it's just my eyesight?

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » May 17th, 2009, 7:31 pm

Greg Ayers and Kyle Hebert. Woo!
Voice actor panels look fun, too bad there aren't many cons in Canada :(

Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Post by Hiki » May 17th, 2009, 11:11 pm

No cool people come to our con... But then again, we have only one con so it's not very surprising. :swt:

The Netherlands really do suck...

*cries in a dark corner*

Can't wait to see more of your pictures 8D
Don't feed me violins.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » May 18th, 2009, 1:12 am

You at least have A con... closest one around here would be in Brazil, next ones are in Mexico and Argentina... :sob:
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » May 18th, 2009, 3:47 pm

I need to get off my lazy butt and post my AD pictures.

Also, Oldwrench is one of the few people that have a picture of me in my cosplay from AD. So you may have to bribe him to get him to post the picture.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Post by Hiki » May 18th, 2009, 4:07 pm

A con's not worth going if it sucks :shy: It's just as good as having no con. I'll just have to wait for a nice con 'till I can study in Japan...

As for bribing gpa... that will be tough since I have nothing to bribe him with... :shy:
Don't feed me violins.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 18th, 2009, 10:55 pm

Your smile, Hiki...... and your cute artwork.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 19th, 2009, 3:48 am

There are a lot of pretty strange characters running around all weekend, and here's one of them. Or.... is this how you make a doggie from a large bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken.
DSCF3970 (Large).JPG
Ooops..... I must have hit the shutter button on the camera by accident. What did I take a picture of??? Who is this guy anyway? If that isn't the dorkiest looking.... he does look kind of familiar though....

Just kidding JH.
DSCF3972 (Large).JPG
Downtown St Paul was graced buy the sight of many interesting characters. Wonder what the locals thought of that. At least the weather was fairly mild Saturday.
DSCF3973 (Large).JPG
I know Sakura likes ribbons, lace and bows, so I had to find some for her. Well, actually, it wasn't hard to find any, there is a pretty good contingent of gothic lolita girls running around, some very cute ones at that. Now if I were a bit younger............ Ow, ...... SHE, didn't think that was so funny.
DSCF3974 (Large).JPG
Some people put a lot of effort into their costumes, and most don't even enter the cosplay. These two looked very good.
DSCF3975 (Large).JPG
Well, that's today's episode, I'll be back with more.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » May 19th, 2009, 4:14 pm

oldwrench wrote:Ooops..... I must have hit the shutter button on the camera by accident. What did I take a picture of??? Who is this guy anyway? If that isn't the dorkiest looking.... he does look kind of familiar though....

Just kidding JH.
JH.JPG
So can anyone guess who I cosplayed as? Only one person at the convention was able to figure that out.

That is how bad I sucked this year at cosplay.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.