Is Anime Dying?

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
Kira
Angel
Angel

Is Anime Dying?

Post by Kira » September 25th, 2007, 5:00 am

I have notice that a lot of series are now out but no one is really them. I myself included. The reason for this is, that like all good things need to go "boom" and once that happens, you get to many series and the quality of these series goes down, because once some thing becomes hot, everyone wants to milk.

I have actually stop buying anime, and mainly buying manga now, the only series are Hellsing, Bleach, and Naruto. Now there are a lot of great series out there, just not in the state yet. I have recently came upon High School of the Dead, now that is such an awesome manga!

I might but DeathNote and the anime, once that out, I'm still debating about bleach, and I still don't care for Hellsing Ultimate. I just don't like Anderson voice. Yes I am very picky when comes to anime, I only want the best and expect the best, I was so disappointed with the re-release of The Slayers...the picture is worse!
You don't see yourself clearly at all. You're not like anyone I've ever known. You Fascinate me.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: Is Anime Dying?

Post by oldwrench » September 25th, 2007, 5:06 am

The anime industry is still going strong. More titles have been licensed in the US than ever. Check out the few I reviewed in the anime recommendations. You might really like Fighting Spirit and Petite Cossette. Beck is another hot one out right now. There is so much out there to chose from.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » September 25th, 2007, 5:12 am

But that is what I mean, yes there are all these titles, but out of all those, only a few are really worth a checkout. Like cgi movie. you had movies like Toy Story, Monsters Inc, it was expensive to make, but now, its alot more cheaper, so anyone can make a cgi movie now, thus now you have a lot of "Ok" cgi movies.
You don't see yourself clearly at all. You're not like anyone I've ever known. You Fascinate me.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » September 25th, 2007, 5:38 am

I agree with Kira, most anime lately just don't live to the expectations of the public. Or it could be just that everyone is comparing latest anime with the cream of the crop and that's why it seems so poor?

People have recommended Beck to me lately. I want to get it but I just don't have enough space on my HDD and don't have money to buy DVDs to make some room. It will have to wait a little.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » September 27th, 2007, 4:48 am

Perhaps anime isn't dying, but Geneon is going out of business. I just saw this at rightstuf.com so many great titles will be going out of print. Who knows what the future will be for the licenses of a lot of great anime. I looked through the Geneon catalogue and had heart failure at what will soon be gone.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » October 8th, 2007, 2:36 pm

no time now to go into it, but things I've heard at the Sogen Con are really scary. I'll write some more later. I'll just say that the anime industry is in a lot of trouble right now, and it's mostly the "fan's" fault.

Freya
Otaku Leader
Otaku Leader

Post by Freya » October 9th, 2007, 5:09 am

O_O :sob:
“Here’s the thing… I’ve already gone crazy once. I know what my limits are.” ~ Bella Swan

Kira
Angel
Angel

Post by Kira » October 18th, 2007, 7:45 am

oldwrench wrote: and it's mostly the "fan's" fault.
Okay now that is a very unfair statement, there are in fact a lot of great titles, but these American company still push what ever they can get their hands on, instead of waiting for the good stuff.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » October 18th, 2007, 2:25 pm

The reason I put fans in quotes was because I was referring to those who download their illegal fansubs or watch everything on u tube and don't support the industry by purchasing anime. That's like stealing cars and saying you're supporting the auto industry. They aren't fans, fans would support the industry.

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » October 18th, 2007, 7:43 pm

I actually believe the problems with the anime market are due to one event and three groups.

The event is the downturn in the US economy and the riase in gas prices that have cut off alot of the spare cash that we use to buy anime DVDs.

The groups are:
1. The people who download fansubs and don't buy the DVD's when they are released in the US. I don't believe any of these poeple would by DVD's even if fansubs didn't exist, but they do lead to a major problem, they make the market for anime seem larger then it actually is. Which brings us to the second group...
2. The Japenese studios that produce anime. Because the 'downloaders' make the market apear much larger then it actually is, the studios believe they can charge a premium for their product. This unfortunetly means that some shows are so expensive to buy from the studios that the US companies will probably never see a profit from the title.
3. The US companies that license anime. How could they be part of the problem? Because of good intentions. All anime fans want to see their favorite animes brought over to the US and the US companies have been doing everything they can to grant every anime fans wish. But the problem is that some shows are more nich then others and will never turn a profit in the current market. It is ok if a company loose some money on a few series as long as they can make it up with other big series. (This is the main reason ADV and Funimation are still in business) The problem is that the US companies are bring over to many series that will never make a profit in an attempt to make fans happy and they are loseing to much money on these series. This makes for good customer service, but bad bussiness sense.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.