Farewell

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
Sakura
Resident Kitty

Re: Farewell

Post by Sakura » May 19th, 2008, 11:35 pm

The video card is working great. I guess 512 MB really make a difference. Now my machine has two problems:
  • I cannot enter the bios anymore to turn on USB keyboard support
  • Windows plans reinstalling one hardware item every day. Today it was the "nForce IDE driver" No problem here I just have to click on "Ok" and "Finish" and then reject the reboot. All items inside that hardware manager are ok...
Hey it's WINDOWS!
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

GPSCartoonist
Dedicated Fan
Dedicated Fan

Post by GPSCartoonist » May 20th, 2008, 4:41 am

PC POLICE
Sakura Are you having issues with your computer?
TOUR JAPAN WITH MoMo Sunji READ HER MANGAS AS SHE GOES THOUGH LIFE >

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 20th, 2008, 4:53 am

That's a strange one Sakura, not being able to access the bios. Almost sounds like there is a password set for the bios or something, since the bios is independent of the os. Only thing I can think of for that problem would be using the jumpers on the board to reset the bios and start over.

As for the windows acting up...... Sho knows what might be in the mind of that os.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » May 20th, 2008, 10:05 pm

OK, BIOS is weird but gpa is right, try resseting it. Now as for windows... my bet is you installed XP (who needs Vista, anyway?) so you should have SP2 as well, right? If so, then you can blame Bill Gates and keep on living. If you installed SP3, though... there's a lot of people complaining of problems with it, like endless reboots and stuff like that.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

GPSCartoonist
Dedicated Fan
Dedicated Fan

Post by GPSCartoonist » May 21st, 2008, 5:42 am

OH BLLODY GOD!
June 30th XP will be off the bloody market!
OH MY GOD!

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » May 21st, 2008, 5:59 am

Zeratul2k wrote:OK, BIOS is weird but gpa is right, try resseting it. Now as for windows... my bet is you installed XP (who needs Vista, anyway?) so you should have SP2 as well, right? If so, then you can blame Bill Gates and keep on living. If you installed SP3, though... there's a lot of people complaining of problems with it, like endless reboots and stuff like that.
I cannot reset the bios because I have no access to the bios screen.
I cannot update the bios because I need a keybord to do so which I cannot provide due to the missing bios.
I have Windows XP with SP3. The problems, like endless reboots, are a result of Hewlett Packard installing some Intel driver on AMD boards. My computer is carefully installed manually and doesn't have any useless drivers so SP3 worked just great.
About XP getting out of sale: You're right that will create big problems later especially for this time being nobody is really convinced Windows will get any better in version 7. So I got a spare copy of XP Pro SystemBuilder (around 82 Euro, thanks for the us-american government bashing down their own currency, the price dropped recently from 120 Euro to 82 Euro)
Also there is another offer: You can rent some "action pack" with many OS'es and Office Pro from M$ for 320 Euro/year. Not that I'd ever consider renting a software other than a console game...

GPSCartoonist
Dedicated Fan
Dedicated Fan

Post by GPSCartoonist » May 21st, 2008, 6:08 am

Not many people like the new vista,
Xp lovers beware for ye can't buy no more after june, oh what will be next after vista ?

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » May 21st, 2008, 5:10 pm

GPSCartoonist wrote:Not many people like the new vista,
Xp lovers beware for ye can't buy no more after june, oh what will be next after vista ?
"Windows 7"...

By the way if you buy "Vista Ultimate" or "Vista Business" you can call M$ support and ask for a license of XP Pro.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » May 21st, 2008, 5:19 pm

Thanks, Bram Cohen for BitTorrent and Ludvig Strigeus for uTorrent, the protocol/app combination that solves my software needs without any problems.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

Dechant
Dedicated Fan
Dedicated Fan

Post by Dechant » May 21st, 2008, 6:28 pm

Sakura wrote: I cannot reset the bios because I have no access to the bios screen.

Removing the coin cell battery on the mainboard should reset the BIOS.