News topic

Discussion about games, books, movies, and your favorite songs.
Elvin
Fan
Fan

News topic

Post by Elvin » June 5th, 2009, 7:15 pm

Let's try to get some more conversation going. This topic is to post our thoughts on genuinely interesting recent happenings. If you see an article on a paper, online, or on TV that raised your interest, post it here. I'll start off.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31057560/

Crash at sea: Air France flight 447 from Brazil to France, carrying 228 passengers and crew, was lost at sea a few days ago. Cause of the crash has yet to be determined, but people say it's likely due to a lightning bolt. None of the passengers have been found as of yet, and they're starting to lose hope that any of them will be.

Really, if anyone of them did survive the initial crash they'd have been drifting at sea for 4 days, fighting malnutrition and hypothermia. I'd be nothing short of a miracle if they found someone now.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Re: News topic

Post by Zeratul2k » June 5th, 2009, 9:11 pm

Elvin wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31057560/

Crash at sea: Air France flight 447 from Brazil to France, carrying 228 passengers and crew, was lost at sea a few days ago. Cause of the crash has yet to be determined, but people say it's likely due to a lightning bolt. None of the passengers have been found as of yet, and they're starting to lose hope that any of them will be.

Really, if anyone of them did survive the initial crash they'd have been drifting at sea for 4 days, fighting malnutrition and hypothermia. I'd be nothing short of a miracle if they found someone now.
A lighting bolt couldn't (theoretically speaking) have downed it. Modern airliners are tested for that a lot and some even have what could be described as a Faraday Cage integrated into the structure, so the lightning goes through the fuselage without hurting any systems. I'd say a terrorist attack it's more likely.

Also, in the area the plane crashed, the sea is not so cold, even at night, so no hypothermia (just wanted to point that out).

The debris they found turned out to be wood pallets, so they are back to square one on the search. I don't know what kind of radars Brazil has, but if they were tracking it while in flight using only civilian radars (they track the plane radio transponder, not the plane itself as military radars), then it may also be possible for it to have crashed with an illegal narco plane (that route is know to be taken by narco planes on their way to Africa, from where they go to Europe), which would explain the wood pallets. Still, those are nothing else but speculations. We would need the black boxes to say anything definite and those are going to be very difficult to recover.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » June 5th, 2009, 10:45 pm

I've seen someone get hypothermia from falling into a lake, so I assumed that the ocean wasn't so different. I'd sooner point my finger at weather conditions or mechanical failure than terrorists; statistically speaking they're one of the lowest causes of airliner accidents. I say the bomb threat is just a scary coincidence.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » June 5th, 2009, 10:46 pm

The plane was flying through some unusually bad weather, it's very possible to exceed the capability of the airframe. THe series of automatic radio messages of faults from the aircraft seem to show a progressive series of failures, possibly caused by a break down of the air frame.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » June 6th, 2009, 10:52 pm

Did anyone see the articles about the massive daycare fire in Mexico? At least 35 children dead, and about 100 injured, many gravely so. All the children were between the ages of 1 and 5 years old. And the report said that most of the children had already been picked up for the day, so the casualties and injuries were far less than they could've been.
And I'm thinking... If over 100 children were seriously involved in this fire even AFTER most of the kids had been picked up, HOW THE HECK MANY KIDS WERE IN THIS DAYCARE IN THE FIRST PLACE??????????
This entire thing just breaks my heart. :sob:
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

Elvin
Fan
Fan

Post by Elvin » June 6th, 2009, 11:23 pm

Wow... did they find the cause? A daycare with over 135 kids is just asking for trouble in the first place :omg:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » June 7th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Let's see, last week we had three grandkids here, ages 1-3 years. There were three adult women, grandma and two moms. The kids were winning.........

That daycare has to be insane.......... How many adults do they have to run it?? Not enough I would guess.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » June 8th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Dinky wrote:And I'm thinking... If over 100 children were seriously involved in this fire even AFTER most of the kids had been picked up, HOW THE HECK MANY KIDS WERE IN THIS DAYCARE IN THE FIRST PLACE??????????
Did you watch Monty Pythons 'Meaning of Life?' And if yes, remember the catholic family?
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » June 9th, 2009, 7:15 pm

"Every sperm is sacred! Every sperm is good! Every sperm is needed, in your neighborhood!"

Best Monty Python skit EVER.
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

JHawkNH
Anime Addict

Post by JHawkNH » June 10th, 2009, 10:16 pm

Dinky wrote:"Every sperm is sacred! Every sperm is good! Every sperm is needed, in your neighborhood!"

Best Monty Python skit EVER.
No the search for the grail was the best skit ever.

The holy handgranade.

And don't forget the Black Knight.. "It's just a flesh wound."
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.