Books!

Discussion about games, books, movies, and your favorite songs.
Kira
Angel
Angel

Re: Books!

Post by Kira » February 16th, 2009, 8:29 am

Lmao, it could be, lol...No its book by Denis Leary about America, so you might actually like, lol.
You don't see yourself clearly at all. You're not like anyone I've ever known. You Fascinate me.

Inexplicable-Kai
New User

Post by Inexplicable-Kai » November 11th, 2010, 1:47 pm

Oh goodness, a conversation about books! Must post!

Books: A wolf at the Table, by Augusten Burroughs. Never After, by Rebecca Lickiss. Wind in the Stone, by Andre Norton. Black Order, by James Rollins, Flowers in the Attic, by V.C. Andrews.

These are some books that are most definately worth the read. ^-^
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
-Albert Einstein

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » November 11th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Just about anything by Andre Norton is worth reading.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » November 11th, 2010, 3:49 pm

I personally like the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. Oh, and anything by Paulo Coelho.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

Dinky
Otaku Maniac
Otaku Maniac

Post by Dinky » May 26th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Anybody got any new book/series recommendations? I'm in need of a good read.
.....sometimes you have to lose your mind to find it......

Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Post by Hiki » May 30th, 2011, 1:24 pm

Maybe "Graceling"? I don't remember who the author is xD I haven't finished it myself, but I like it so far..
Don't feed me violins.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 30th, 2011, 3:53 pm

I just finished the second book of "The Tales of the Black Widowers" by Isaac Asimov. It isn't scifi, its short mystery stories. It's about a group of men who meet for dinner every month. Each month they have one guest and invariably end up with some puzzle to solve. Entertaining short stories, nothing very deep, just a good light read.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » November 3rd, 2012, 3:32 am

I've been trying to read through my pile of scifi books. I never had time to get to them. I've read half a dozen or so this year........ only 600 or so left to go.

Currently I'm reading a book of short stories, "The Years Best S-F" from 1965. One story I thought was particularly good, it's just two pages....... I guess a good story doesn't have to be a hundred pages or more. The story is "Those Who Can, Do" by Bob Kurosawa. A condensed version....

It starts with a short description of a typical first day of a university class on differential equations. after the Professor gives his class synopsis he asks if there are any questions. A young man, Frank, gets up and asks why he has to take the course. The professor begins to explain that he would need it to get t he required credits to graduate but the boy interrupts him and says that's not what he meant. What he wants to know is what good will the class do him as a contributing member of society. The professor asks the boy what he wants to get from the university. Frank informed him that he had been thinking of deciding on a career, but he really didn't need one, since he had a gift, and it was all he would ever need. The professor replied, oh, and what gift is that. Frank held up is hand and the professor's podium floated off the floor and over the professor's head. The professor stepped back a bit in surprise. That isn't all the boy told him, with another gesture the girl sitting next to him screamed and tried to cover herself with her notebook. She was suddenly stark naked. That's quite enough, the professor told him. No it isn't Frank laughed. He clasped his hands together and when he opened them, bats flew out around the room causing chaos of screaming students.
The professor knew he had to do something, he was quickly losing control of the class. He shouted STOP! The classroom quieted as everyone looked at the professor. He stepped forward and raised his hand and brought the podium back to the floor in front of him, with another gesture the girl was again fully clothed. He placed his hands together and when he opened them, a group of falcons flew into the room quickly sweeping the air of bats and then obediently returning to his hand and disappearing.
The class all sat staring open mouthed and the professor quickly decided it was time to ask if there were any further questions and dismiss the class. The students quickly filed out, the last to leave was Frank, and before he left, he turned and with a smile, nodded to the professor.

Short stories can be some of the best............. and this was long before Harry Potter was conceived.

Hiki
Honorary Evil Kitty

Post by Hiki » November 6th, 2012, 10:58 pm

The newest Bartimaeus book, Ring of Solomon~! From what I heard so far, it's awesome. So I can't wait to read it once my sister is done :'D
Don't feed me violins.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » November 8th, 2012, 5:59 am

oldwrench wrote:I've been trying to read through my pile of scifi books. I never had time to get to them. I've read half a dozen or so this year........ only 600 or so left to go.
Sounds like my first math tutor lessons. I learned a lot for life. I just need to open the math book and are soundly asleep in less than 30 seconds.
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.