The Crap Shooter

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: The Crap Shooter

Post by oldwrench » January 13th, 2016, 5:08 am

My internet is broken. It is very slow, starting and stopping a lot. I tried a speed test, it averages less than 500kb per second...... I'm supposed to have 15mb service. I have a hard time getting anything downloaded. They are supposed to send a repair tech on Friday. No picts uploaded till then.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » January 19th, 2016, 11:45 am

What happened to your inet access then? After the last technican checked some device in our cellar I haven't had any outage = cable 200 mbit up, 10 mbit down.

Unfortunately it's 48 Euro/month and they disconnected my TV requiring a € 17.90/month ransom for reconnection. Of course I didn't pay but stream TV from the internet instead. :thumb:
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » January 19th, 2016, 11:51 am

oldwrench wrote:Grumble .02........ I bought one of those fitness wristbands for my wife for a gift. Nice things, record your steps and calories burned and lots of other things......... problem, they don't work with the tablets, only with smart phones. We only have dumb phones and I'm not about to spend the money for a phone that's smarter than I am. I gave the thing to my daughter.
I cannot comment on your new camera... which was an overdue purrrchase comparing the quality of your last pictures to those of your new one.

The fitness thingys are working quite well. I suggest buying a Withings Pulse which runs on both ipad (2 and higher) and iphone (4 and higher) and also Android (not sure which version). And you can get add-ons like automatic internet connected scales, a blood pressure monitor, baby scales, a sleep monitor, and some more.

My scale proudly shows 58.2 kgs btw. But that info doesn't belong inside the "Crap Shooter" topic.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » January 21st, 2016, 5:17 am

And I pay $49 per month for 20mbit .......
By the way, the picts I sent weren't from the new camera, those were still the old Panasonic.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » January 22nd, 2016, 6:07 pm

If I remember correctly you already claimed being unable to use your old camera to the fullest, so actually now you can? :thumb:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » January 24th, 2016, 6:56 am

The old Panasonic camera (maybe 6 years old?) still works fine except for the dirt in the lens problem.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » January 25th, 2016, 4:31 am

By the way, those fitness bands work with android....... but only on android smart phones, not on tablets, at least I haven't found one that the software app will work on a tablet.

Oh, I'm just about two of you..... 104kg?

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » February 1st, 2016, 10:46 am

Purretty sure that many fitness bands are working with Android. There are plenty Android phones around and someone just has to jump in to fill that gap. Withings considers itself as a "premium manufacturer" of e-health devices and somehow manages to work with iPhone exclusively - and still sell plenty of their gadgets.

I have bought a Withings Activite but it doesn't look good on my tiny wrist. The Pulse is my best friend mainly because I can just put it into my pocket or even clip it to my dress.

Now I really need to fix my blood pressure:
http://www.withings.com/eu/en/products/ ... re-monitor

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » February 3rd, 2016, 5:02 am

WE are having a winter storm... 8+ inches of snow and high winds, Big problem is the company I work for wants me to drive two clients to appointments tomorrow morning. Driving could be major hazardous tomorrow.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » February 3rd, 2016, 5:27 am

Checked the Withings brand fitness trackers..... still need a smart phone to sync with them, they don't work with tablets like my Samsung. It appears they need to send your data to their servers to use the app and tablets don't have the full time connection. Actually, I looked into the permissions you give the app for these fitness trackers and it looks pretty scary. They have permission to virtually do anything they want with your cell phone.