Live going on

Have a seat at the fireplace. Free cookies for everyone!
agajin
New User

Live going on

Post by agajin » December 9th, 2017, 10:42 am

Heya so what happened to me? I was surprised it's ten years that I joined. Doesn't feel that long. I was always the quiet lurker but enjoyed the reading the forum. A few years back I have become the digital hermit. Mostly because of FB - but soon I stopped regularly going online.
I picked up working actively my PhD last year and during all this research online I more often than not find myself browsing instead of researching :gg:

Well yesterday I found the old link to AAW and clicked it. Was quite curious whether my login would still work. Wanted to drop you a few words.

gotta go for now but will come back soonish.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: Live going on

Post by oldwrench » December 13th, 2017, 4:16 am

Nice that you are back after a Phd, I hope you get it. What is your area of study?

Since you were here I have moved from the middle of nowhere to the gateway to nowhere, small town on the south edge of Minneapolis MN.
I retired and sold my auto repair business and now drive a handicap van part time for the local bus company. I've been watching some interesting anime, feeding birds and building a few models. Oh, I've done a bit of traveling too.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » December 13th, 2017, 10:35 am

AAW was started in May 2001. I guess it's becoming an adult in May 2019, will get it's university entrance diploma a year later and will study Kittyism and Cuteness (to please the Goddess) later. I'll keep you updated. :gg:
We all wish you a lot of success with your studies - and luck as well - I know you will need it :gg:
I learned when studying a Pomodoro tool works fine. There are tools that allow you to block certain websites like facebook while the time slice is running. I also set up a "virtual machine" that contains nothing but stuff from my university to keep me from distracting habits, like watching kitten videos and researching for my online game. I think you're most likely past this point and have already developed good studying habits :shy:
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » December 14th, 2017, 4:43 am

OOooooo cookies! I love cookies! Did I ever tell you that I was the model for the Cookie Monster? Or was that Oscar the Grouch? I cant remember which.

Sakura, have you ever met Nedra? She's a goddess, a cat goddess. You see her either as a sleek black cat, or an incredibly beautiful Egyptian looking woman, but don't get her angry, she can also be a large vicious Black Panther.
I don't know if I ever sent you the story I met her in. It's a long story of people, dragons, fairies, elves, wizards, and of course a goddess, along with a number of other characters. The story gets quite adult in places, but it's a nice fantasy. It is a long continuing series of stories. The person writing the story never finished it. They had medical problems and I think died before reaching the end. If you would like it I could send it to you. It isn't a very big file.

agajin
New User

Post by agajin » December 19th, 2017, 12:02 pm

Well was gone longer than I expected :shy: well it's christmas time and clubs do their end of year celebrations. and was hung over the days between. So it's all on and off. I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow so will again be off for 2 weeks. :sob:

I'm in applied physics. Wanted to go full out theory but just wouldn't fit in the groups we have here. It was groups expecting people working night and day... It just killed any motivation I had. Quite late I discovered other compartments with less fancy names had much better attitudes.

It started 2001? wow - and I thought I was ahead the anime craze when I joined.

After my leaving I saw very little of anime. There was this live action 20th century boys that got me interested. But my japanese got rusty. Most stuff on netflix just makes me feel old and grumpy :gg:
Was there anything outstanding in the last 10 years you feel I shouldn't miss?

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » December 20th, 2017, 4:16 am

There is a lot of excellent anime that you have missed. I have reviewed a few in the forum. One I am recommending right now is "Your Name" another great anime by Makoto Shinkai.
There's a bit of every genre and it seems the animation keeps improving and the stories are often very good. My son's collection of anime is well over 6000 disc's now. Check out RIghtstuf.com they have sales going on right now.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » May 15th, 2018, 4:43 am

Lost in Cyberspace! ??

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » May 15th, 2018, 7:00 am

Is that a new series? :hmm:

Found the site animekaizoku.com recently. It has the beloved japanese english subbed series I used to watch 10 years ago. I have no idea which series is actually very good. Already got "Your Name" but of course didn't watch it yet
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.