5 minutes...... oldwrench tries story telling

Stories posted here will be copied to the Fan Fiction page. Please only submit your own work.
oldwrench
Ojiichan

Re: 5 minutes...... oldwrench tries story telling

Post by oldwrench » October 16th, 2011, 1:49 am

Alright, after forever......... not as long as Dinky's forever............ I have another chapter ready. Poor Arisa still hasn't proven she can fight, but, can she?
Things have been looking up for Chad, but now that the captain is here, what will happen. Is he going to get caught up in her plans to attack the Red Faction weapon? Will she still want to try now that her shield won't work?
Will Rachel have enough food for the whole group?

Time will tell.

Chapter 82

Rachel walked up to the group, her shotgun resting easily in her arms. “I’m glad to see
you’ve got that straightened out. I sure didn’t want to be the one to start a war.” She smiled at the
newcomers. “My names Rachel and this is my farm.”

Chad quickly stepped in and introduced the captain and lieutenant to Roy and Rachel.
“It’s a pleasure to meet some of Chad’s fellow pilots,” Rachel told them.

John stepped forward, “the pleasure is truly mine, darlin,” He told her with his best
southern drawl and boyish grin.

Rachel almost laughed at John but just then her dog came in between them, jumping up
on John, tail wagging. “Damnit Dog, don’t go jumping on people!” Rachel scolded.

“Aw, I don’t mind,” John told her as he scratched the dog behind his ears. “I really like
dogs. What’s his name?”

“Damnit Dog,” Rachel replied.

“He really isn’t doing anything wrong,” John told her. “You don’t have to scold him.”

Chad laughed, “no, that’s his name.”

“What is?” John asked, confused.

“His name really is Damnit Dog,” Chad was still laughing. “It’s a long story, just believe
me.”

“Well, since the dog thinks you’re alright, come on inside.” Rachel told the newcomers.
“I’ve got plenty for lunch and........”

“First we’d better get those mechs hidden,” Roy broke in. “If those boys at the mine are
searching for you, I sure as heck don’t want them finding you here. Captain, you can put your
mech in the machine shed over there. Lieutenant, your mech would fit in the repair shop behind
Chad’s.”

“No, we’ll be leaving, and Chad will follow as soon as his unit is repaired,” Georgianna
informed them. “We won’t be getting civilians involved in this action.”

“Um, captain, he isn’t exactly a civilian,” Chad broke in. He explained to Georgianna that
Roy was EDF, retired, and that he did outrank her.

“It would be in everyone’s best interest if we got those mechs under cover captain.” Roy
assured her.

Georgianna wasn’t happy about it, but retired meant Roy was a reserve EDF, active in
times of emergency, and he did outrank her. “Alright, but John and I will stay with our mechs, in
case those Red Faction boys come snooping around. John, have Chad show you where to park
your unit.”

John answered with a bit of a sad look, “yes sir.” He would have liked something to eat,
and home cooking sounded pretty good right now.

Roy pointed Georgianna in the direction of the machine shed for her mech then turned
and called after Chad. “Chad, get on to that colonel of yours and get him to sign on with our plan.
I’m counting on you, boy.”

“Right........ I’ll try,” Chad answered.

Roy turned and saw Rachel climbing into his truck. “If you’re headed to town, I better go
along,” she informed him. “I’m going to need a few more groceries the way things are going.”

John followed Chad to the repair shed, he had to squeeze the mech in past Ghost, but
finally got Epyon parked in the shed. John opened the cockpit just as Chad was climbing into
Ghost. “What’s this plan that that guy has?”

“They have a resistance group,” Chad told him. “They don’t like it that those people in
the mine came here and took over. They don’t want the Empire coming here and making this
another Tarsonis. They have a plan to take over at the mine. If we can get the colonel to send our
mechs in, it would be a lot easier for them.”

“Well, I’m all for it,” John told him, with a yawn, “after I take a little nap.”

Georgianna parked Rina between the machinery in the shed and set her sensors to alarm if
anything came in. She set an exclusion for the truck so they wouldn’t go off when Roy returned,
she was hoping to get some sleep. Georgianna was upset, she’d planned to end this, then worry
about disciplinary action from the colonel, but now, he’d consider her a deserter, just like
Dominic and Chad, and she couldn’t stop the slaughter. She tried to sleep, but visions of the
killing fields of Tarsonis kept haunting her memories.

Arisa stood on the hangar floor, looking up at Keon, her big Lancer. She couldn’t stay
with the other pilots. They were all comparing stories of the battle, bragging of victories, and she
had done nothing. She couldn’t let it be this way. She could just hear her father’s words, “You
should stay home where a woman belongs and get married. You wouldn’t have the guts to be a
fighter.” She couldn’t let him be right. Somehow, she had to do this. Arisa almost jumped out of
her skin when a hand landed on her shoulder.

“You disappeared after the battle, before I got a chance to talk to the pilots.” Arisa spun
around to see it was the colonel who was talking to her. “You missed my congratulations, it was
a good victory.” He smiled at her.

Arisa quickly looked down, “I don’t deserve any, I failed. I didn’t get a shot off.”

“Oh, don’t feel to bad about that,” he chuckled, “it’s hard to beat bullseye to a target.
They didn’t get through, that’s all that matters.”

“But....... I had it locked on, I just hesitated, I didn’t want to pull the trigger.” Arisa
sighed. “And I hesitated with the second target, I was afraid I might miss, I wanted to be
sure........ I might have gotten Megumi killed.”

Colonel Hellwind could feel the blackness that hung around the young pilot. She needed
some reassurance, he had to do what he could. “It was your first battle, and a very long shot,
don’t be to hard on yourself. Things turned out alright and you’ve learned something for next
time.”

Aiden leaned out of the maintenance office door, “colonel, there’s a com message.” Dan
looked over to the door, “I’ll be right there.” He looked back down at the girl, “you were top in
your class, you’ll be alright.” With a laugh, Dan headed for the office, “just remember, you miss
one hundred percent of the targets when you don’t pull the trigger.”

Arisa climbed into the big mech. She sat with her hands in the control gloves and after a
long time, put her finger on the firing trigger. Yes, she’d take Rose’s advice, next time, she’d
shoot first and ask questions later.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » October 17th, 2011, 2:22 am

And, I have gotten quite qa ways on the next chapter.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » October 18th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Ok, I rushed another chapter into print. need top move this along. Can Chad get the colonel to agree to Roy's attack plan? Will Arisa be able to fight again? When will we get down to the action???

Keep reading.

Chapter 83

Chad pushed back in his seat and frowned. He’d tried his best to convince colonel
Hellwind to agree to join Roy’s attack plans, but for every point he made, the colonel had found a
reason that it wouldn’t work. The nine mechs he had left wouldn’t be enough, especially if that
giant came out against them. Their one platoon of marines would be useless against the armament
they had around that mine. They wouldn’t even make it down to the ground, they’d be blasted out
of the sky......... Chad was afraid he’d let Roy down.

For a long time, Arisa sat and looked out over the hangar floor. She thought of her tall
pilot friend, she wished she could see his smile and hear his encouraging words. He’d helped her
feel better before, and she could use it now. She wondered if she would ever see him again.

Arisa saw captain Pryde and colonel Hellwind come out of the office. They walked right
past her mech, headed for the door. “The plan Chad told us about has it’s good points, Dan,”
Aiden was saying. “It could just work, if we can put that weapon of theirs out of action, we could
end this before the fleet gets here.”

“Maybe, but if it fails, things could be a lot worse.” Dan chuckled, “Ross has the darndest
luck, landing in the middle of a resistance group. He could just as likely have landed among the
enemy.”

“Good thing he didn’t,” Aiden replied, “we surely don’t want them getting their hands on
the Ghost.”

A message came over the com from Johana. “Dan, could you come to the bridge, there’s
been a disturbing development on the surface.”

Arisa sat on the edge of her seat, they talked to Chad, he was alright. He must be
somewhere on the planet. Arisa felt tears filling her eyes and wiped them away. She didn’t want
to admit how much she had feared that Chad was gone. Arisa looked back to the office door, they
must have some kind of com unit in there that could reach Chad’s mech. Why else would the
Colonel come here to get a message from him? After the men left the hangar, Arisa climbed out
of Keon and headed straight to the office door. She peeked inside and didn’t see anyone so she
stepped into the office. There on a bench she found it, a simple subspace com, like they installed
in recon mechs and small single man explorers. She smiled, she’d been playing with these things
since she was little. She sat down and checked the unit, there was a link still open, she hoped it
was the one to Chad. She typed a message, “Chad, are you there?”

Chad didn’t know what he’d tell Roy, he didn’t want to bring bad news to his new
friends. His thoughts wandered to the Krikav, and his friends there, especially one small blond
pilot. He sighed, at least he’d found out she was alright. The only casualty had been Kaze, and
the colonel said he would be alright. His thoughts turned again to Arisa’s warm and soft touch.
He wished he could talk to her, she might know what he should say. Chad noticed a message
come up on the screen. It was strange, neither the colonel or the general had addressed him by his
first name. He typed, “Here, who am I talking with?”

Arisa found herself breathing faster. She glanced around the room again then quickly
typed, “It’s me, Arisa. I’m so glad you’re alright. I was afraid something bad happened to you.”

“Not likely,” Chad sent back, “you know only the good die young. It was no big deal, just
some damage. I couldn’t make it back to the ship so I landed on the planet. I’m glad to hear
you’re alright, you did a good job stopping that attack.”

“They did, I did nothing,” Arisa sent. “I was useless.”

“What happened? Did something go wrong with Keon?” Chad questioned.

“No, I just didn’t fire when I should have.” Arisa explained. She filled Chad in on the
battle in a short paragraph. Stressing her failure to fire. “I don’t want my dad to be right, but
maybe he is, maybe I can’t do this. I feel like I’m useless to the group.”

“Don’t even think that,” Chad quickly sent. “You’re the one who saved the whole bunch
of us from that nuke. I can’t think of anyone who’d be brave enough, or smart enough to do
something like that. You’ve had a different life than most of us, I’m not surprised it’s harder for
you. You haven’t had to fight like we have. Kaze and Megumi grew up learning to fight, Ben’s
life has been a struggle against the elements and his brothers, John, well, who believes half his
stories, and the others all have their stories. Things were different for you, I don’t even know
what sports your played.”

“I didn’t, I was too small,” Arisa sent back. “But I was better at piloting a mech than the
boys were.”

“See, you have the ability, you just haven’t had the experiences the other have,” Chad
replied.

“I should do what Rose told me, shoot first and think about it later.” Arisa told him.

“No, don’t be something you’re not.” Chad quickly sent. “You’ll find yourself regretting
it. If we all did what Rose told you, there’d be no end to wars. It’s people like you that bring
sense to this madness. Your way is more dangerous, braver than just blasting everything that
moves. But in the end, if you follow your intuition, follow your heart, you’ll know when to pull
the trigger.”

“Maybe,” she sent back, I just don’t know if I can... somebody’s coming, I have to go.”

Greg saw the small pilot clear the screen and hurry out the door. He would have tried to
catch her, but she was really quick. Now what was she doing on the com unit? He frowned,
someone on board was a saboteur, he just couldn’t imagine it being the cute girl. Greg sat down
and used a couple commands to call up a log of the subspace com. He quickly read through the
messages and smiled, no, not a saboteur, just a girl.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » October 31st, 2011, 6:38 pm

So, Arisa's mood has improved, and maybe she'll get her chance to prove she can fight. Chad hasn't figured out what he'll tell Roy. He doesn't want to disappoint his new friends, but he couldn't convince the colonel. Are they going to be able to end this madness? Or will Edward convince Rydia to use her terrible weapon? How much of the fleet could she destroy with her Atropos, and if she does will they bomb the planet to ashes? Will this bring on an Empire wide war?
stay tuned

Chapter 84

Arisa met Ben and Megumi in the passageway on her way to her room. “Hi guys,” she
said as she passed by.

“Oh, hi,” Megumi and Ben both answered. Ben looked behind them and watched Arisa
bounce down the passage. “Ah, do I detect a bit of a change in our Kitten’s mood?” Ben asked.

“Ya think?” Megumi laughed. “I wonder what brought that on?”

Colonel Hellwind and Aiden entered the bridge. “What happened?” Dan asked.

Johana looked back from the main screen, “It’s not good, Dan,” She told him. “Yuki,
replay the event.”

Dan and Aiden stared at the screen. The colonel leaned heavily on the main console.
“That can’t be, that can’t happen.” He said, shocked.

Georgianna couldn’t sleep, she had thought she could end this, before the EDF fleet got
here. She was sure she could disable that weapon, but now........ Roy had mentioned a plan....
What plan? She needed to know more, and, she really needed to pee, and using the suit’s systems
was unpleasant. She sighed, she’d just have to go to the house. She set about linking her suit com
to the alarms on Reina’s scanners.

Chad opened the door to the house. He’d decided he was getting hungry, and thirsty.
Rachel had told him he could come in and have a snack or a beer any time. His mind was
occupied with visions of a pretty little pilot. Women had been nothing but a problem for him,
always causing him grief. He hadn’t liked women at all, till now. Chad’s mind was so filled with
visions of the girl that he didn’t notice the tanker truck parked near the house. As Chad stepped
into the kitchen, something slammed into the back of his head, sending him sprawling to the
floor. Dazed, his vision blurry, Chad struggled to get up. He got to his hands and knees, “Wait,
I’m a.....” A hard kick to his side rolled him over, he covered his head just in time as another hard
kick landed there.
Chad heard a harsh voice cut through the haze, “lying bastards, you won’t fool us.” Chad
swung around and swept his leg, knocking the attacker to the floor. Quickly he started to get to
his knees to go for his attacker, but another kick to his ribs rolled him over again. He realized
there were two attackers and as he tried to turn to defend himself, his arm was twisted behind his
back and he was forcibly dragged to his feet. “We should tie him up, take him in to town.” The
second attacker offered as he held Chad . “No,” the first attacker growled, “we’ll take care of this
here and now.” He pulled out his gun and pointed it at Chad, cocking the hammer.

“You’ll drop that gun and let him go,” Georgianna yelled as she stepped through the door,
pointing her gun at Chad’s two attackers. Georgianna heard the click of a gun cocking to her
right.

“You’ll be the one dropping the gun, lady,” the third man told her.

Georgianna tensed, could she move quickly enough to take out the gunman by Chad,
make the other miss her, and then take him out. She got ready to fire.

“What the hell” going on here?” Roy’s voice boomed out as he stepped between
Georgianna and the gunman. “Burt, put your gun away.” He turned and looked at the gunman to
his right, “Tan, have you people lost your minds? Put that thing away.”

“No way,” Burt said angrily, “they’ve been lying to you. They deserve to be shot, right
here. They told you they weren’t here to attack us, but they lied. Trillium city’s gone...... nuked.
They didn’t give any warning, or anything, just bombed the city.”

Everyone stared at Burt. “Are you sure?” Roy asked, shocked. “Where did you hear
that?”

“It came on the radio on our way out here.” Burt told him, still holding the gun on Chad.
“They claim that EDF ship sent a bomb.”

“It wasn’t us,” Chad said, wiping his bloody lip.

“Like hell it wasn’t,” Burt barked at him, shoving his gun into Chad’s chest. “You came
here to destroy us, just like you did Tarsonis.”

“No, it’s not like that,” Georgianna cried out, “we’re trying to prevent a war, not start
one.”

Chad was fed up with having a gun pointed at him. When Burt looked at Georgianna, he
slapped hard at Burt’s gun. The gun spun out of Burt’s hand and skidded across the floor. Chad
turned and headed for the door. “We didn’t do it, damn it,” Chad swore.

Rachel stepped in front of Chad, looking at his cut and swelling lip. “Chad, let me take
care of that for you.”

Chad pushed past her. “Just leave me alone,” He told her as he left the house.

Burt tried to grab Chad as he left, but Roy stepped in front of him, “Just let the boy go. I
want to see what’s going on before we accuse anyone. If you’d use you head before going off
half cocked, you’d remember that a White Magic class ship like they’re from doesn’t carry
nukes.”

“It had to be them,” Burt assured him. “The EDF are the only ones who have nukes.”

“You’re wrong,” Georgianna cut in, “those Red Faction guys at the mine have nukes.”

“What?” Roy looked at her. “I thought nukes were outlawed. That only the EDF was
allowed to have them.”

Georgianna told Roy about the nuke that was sent at the Krikav in a life pod. She didn’t
mention the nuke they found in Ben’s rail gun. No need to raise suspicions, The fuse for that one
had been destroyed anyway.

Roy could hardly believe someone would use a life pod as a bomb. It was so wrong.
“Alright, I’m going to make a call, I have to find out what happened.” Roy spent a long few
minutes on Rachel’s phone. He was glad he had gotten the repeater up on the hill working again.
Look’s like they were going to need it. Roy turned back to the group, a frown on his face.
“They’ve done a fly over, half the city is flattened. God only knows how many dead, and how
many more will die.” He looked at Burt, it was a ground blast, there’s a crater centered about
where the foundry was. If it was a bomb or missile, it would have been an air blast. They got hold
of Mike up on the old asteroid mine. He said that ship hasn’t moved, and no other ships have
come. They didn’t send anything.” He looked at Georgianna, “so that leaves us with the people at
the mine, You called them the Red Faction? But, why? What are they trying to gain?”

“We know it isn’t ours,” Dan told Johana and Aiden, “and the only other we know of
having a nuke is the Red Faction........... But why?" Colonel Hellwind stood, fists clenched, “Aiden, what do you think of the attack plan?”

“Very risky,” Aiden answered. “If they can achieve complete surprise, they may be able
to pull off capturing the main base, but that would leave the mechs and the enemy could move to
another location.”

“What are the chances our mechs would be able to turn the battle?” Dan asked.

“We don’t know how many of those Nightmares they still have, and they probably have
some of the mechs from the Ticonderoga. It doesn’t look good.” Aiden admitted.

“And you think we need something bigger than a Lancer’s gun to destroy that giant of
theirs.” Dan leaned on the console and watched the replay of the nuclear explosion. He pushed
the com button, “Greg, send Chad a message, tell him we’re in.” He turned to the ship controller,
Yuki, there are bigger holes at the poles, send a couple probes, plot a course to bring the Krikav
in to the planet.” He looked at Aiden. “Do you think I’ve gone mad?”

Aiden smiled, “only a little, Dan.”

“Alright, draw up an attack plan, using the marine platoon and the units we have left.
We’ll use the ships main gun on that big mech.” Dan ordered.

Johana looked from Aiden back to Dan, “what plan?”

Rydia stared at the screen in horror. She didn’t want to believe it was happening, that it
was her fault. If she’d just acted when she had the chance.

“You see, I told you they were killers.” Edward told her angrily. “You could have
prevented this. They’re sending a fleet, they’ll kill everyone. You can still stop this. If you
destroy their main ship, their flagship, they won’t have any command and control, no one to give
the orders, then they’ll run away. Are you ready to follow my orders?”

Rydia looked down, tears filling her eyes, “yes,” she sobbed.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » December 2nd, 2011, 5:09 am

Between the grandkids and SHE, who must be obeyed, I haven't been able to keep up with my story. Well, I finally got away and got another chapter ready. Things are definitely heating up. Chad's upset, Georgianna's angry, the locals are on edge, Edward is ready to blow up more cities, Rydia is ready to blow up the EDF fleet......... This whole mess is about to blow up. Only the mech pilots seem to be happy......... or are they. Rose might not be.
How is all this going to work out?

Back to the exciting adventure.

Chapter 85

John woke as Chad came back into the shop. He yawned as he noticed the valve Chad
was carrying, so that was why he’d left. Suddenly john sat up straighter, geez, what had
happened to Chad? John climbed out of Epyon as Chad went over to the work bench for tools.
“What happened to you, fall down the stairs or something?” He asked.

“Ya, something like that,” Chad answered.

John could hear the hurt in Chad’s voice. “Right. Like heck you did. What’s going on?”

Chad leaned on the bench, Some of Roy’s buddies were at the house. They hit me before I
knew they were there. They’d have shot me if Captain McFarlaine hadn’t come in. They might
have shot her too, but Roy got back and stopped them.”

“What the hell? I thought we were on the same side.” John said angrily. “What were they
trying to do? Maybe we should go in and beat some sense into these idiots.”

“No,” Chad turned and looked at John, fiercely. “Why do you want to be just like them?
Why does everyone have to shoot first and ask questions later?” Chad turned back to the bench.
“One of their city’s was bombed, nuked. Lots of people are dead. They just assumed we did it. If
they’d just waited, gotten answers first, they would have known we didn’t do it.”

John saw Chad grimace in pain. “Are you alright?”

“Ya, just a little sore,” Chad lied. He tried to calm down, he knew he had at least a couple
cracked or broken ribs. It wasn’t the first time, he’d just have to live with it for now. Getting
upset only made it hurt worse.

John frowned, he was afraid there was more than Chad was telling him. There wasn’t
much he could do for him here though. “I’d better go in and check on Georgi,” he finally
decided. “You know how hot tempered she is. If Roy can’t settle her down, she’s likely to start a
war by herself.”

Dominic looked up as the door to his cell opened. The Girl Rydia slipped in and shut the
door. She stood with her back against the wall, but this time she didn’t look like a scared mouse.
Her Eyes were red from crying but looked determined. “You said you didn’t come here to hurt
the people, that you came to help them.”

“Well, yes, that’s why we’re here. To get their com satellite repaired.” Dominic answered.

“One of the city’s was destroyed, by a nuclear bomb,” Rydia informed him. He could see
her tears starting and she began quivering. “All those people, dead, and it’s.......”

“We didn’t do it,” Dominic quickly broke in. “We don’t have any nuke’s. We
couldn’t.....”

“No!” Rydia almost shouted, shaking her head, “He did it!”

“Who?” Dominic asked, confused.

“Edward,” Rydia wailed, “Edward did it and it’s my fault. I should have done something.
I should have stopped him. They all died and it’s my fault.”

The girl was becoming almost incoherent. Dominic got up and wrapped his arms around
her, holding her as she sobbed. “It can’t be your fault, Rydia, not if Edward did it. It has nothing
to do with you.

“Yes it does,’ she insisted between sobs. “I know, I head him. I hacked in to his com unit.
He was talking to someone he called commander, and leader. The leader told him I have to
destroy your ship so the others will come and bomb the planet. He insisted Edward use the
optional plan, and blame it on the EDF, then I would give him the operating system for Atropos.
And if I don’t, Edward is supposed to destroy the other cities so they can say the EDF did it, then,
he has to bring me to the leader so the leader can take the knowledge from my mind. I should
have done something, I should have stopped him. I didn’t know what the option was. I didn’t
know Edward could do such a thing.” Dominic could feel Rydia shaking. “Please Dominic, help
me, I don’t know what to do.”

The girl sounded confused. Dominic tried to make sense out of what she said. Somehow,
she must have the key to operating their super weapon, and they wanted her to give them the key.
They were willing to go to any length, even destroying the planet and killing everyone to get it.
They hoped blaming the EDF would convince her to give them the access to the machine.
“Alright Rydia, we’ll find some way to stop him.” Dominic assure her, though he didn’t know
what he could do, here in the enemy base.

“That’s suicide, Dan.” Johana told him, after he had explained Roy’s plan. “You don’t
know their strength, but we do know there is a lot of artillery around that base. You’re counting
on a bunch of civilians to take out that threat before you get there? You know general Parker is
never going to go along with that. He’ll order you to wait till the fleet gets here.”

“I know,” Dan assured her, gloomily, “but I can’t wait two more days and have that
maniac nuking more cities.”

“You don’t know he will,” Johanna argued, “or that he even has any more nukes.”
“I can’t take that chance,” Dan told her firmly. “I just can’t wait that long.”

“The general is going to order you to wait. You’d be disobeying direct orders.” Johana
told him a fact he was all to aware of..

“I know,” Dan said, miserably, “but I can’t let more people die. I’ll just have to.....”

Yuki came on the com, “Colonel Hellwind, I have received a com message. It is from a
mining base on an asteroid. The say they have a tight beam link to a rebel base on the planet. We
will be able to communicate directly with the rebel leaders without going through the subspace
link.”

Dan punched the com button, “I’ll be on the bridge in a minute.” Greg looked at Johana
with a sly grin and pushed the com button again. “Greg, there’s a problem with your subspace
com, you’re going to have to shut it down.”

Greg came on the com, “there’s nothing wrong with the unit, colonel. It’s working fine.”

“No, there IS a problem, Greg. You do need to shut that unit down.” Dan assured him.

Several long seconds passed before the master Tech replied. “Oh....... yes, there is a short
in the unit, it seems to have lost power. We won’t be able to contact headquarters, sorry about
that sir.” Greg chuckled. “What’s up? And, how long should diagnosis of the problem take?”

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » January 4th, 2012, 6:21 am

Ok, after ages of waiting, I have another chapter ready. I'm trying to learn to use my new laptop and microsquash word, not easy for an old guy. It's time to get things moving along again. Is Georgianna going to go along with Roy's plan, or will she try to take control of the operation? Is John going to cause trouble for the men who ambushed Chad? What about Chad? Is he going to be alright?

more questions than answers........ for the moment.

Chapter 86

John almost ran into Rachel as he entered the house. She was just leaving to check on Chad. He scanned the room and tensed. “Where’s captain McFarlaine?” He demanded.

“Don’t get your shorts in a knot boy,” Roy answered. “She had to use the rest room. She’ll be back in a few minutes. Sit down and I’ll introduce you to the boys.”

John sat down across from Roy, “Chad said something about a plan. What’s going on?”

“We plan to take the base from those interlopers, with your group’s help,” Roy explained. “We’re waiting for your captain, to fill her in on the details.”

“Oh, ya, about that, Chad said the colonel didn’t agree to go along with your plan.” John gave them the bad news.

Roy frowned and thought for a moment, “damn, I hoped he would commit his mechs. This is going to make taking that base a lot harder, and, I’m afraid, a lot more costly.”

“Well you can count me in,” Georgianna told them from where she stood in the hallway door. “The colonel has me down as a deserter. I guess I might as well throw my lot in with your group.”

“I’m in too,” John told him, grinning. “If I’m going to desert, it might as well be for a good cause.”

Megumi returned to the room she shared with Arisa and was surprised to find Arisa, her back to the door, in the middle of a pile of scraps of white and pink plastic sheet, working intently on something. “What are you working on?” Megumi asked.

Arisa turned around, picking up her helmet and placing it on her head. “Ears,” she informed Megumi.

Megumi stared at the two appendages sprouting from Arisa’s helmet, “Huh?”

“Cat ears,” Arisa stated. “If Ben’s going to keep on calling me Kitten, I figured I should look the part.” Megumi started to laugh and Arisa frowned, “you think it’s silly, don’t you.”

Megumi got her giggles under control and answered. “No Arisa, not at all. They’re great, they suit you perfectly.” Megumi hugged her roommate. “You’re just too cute, Arisa. I was worried about you, you were so down after that battle, but now, you’re back to your cheerful self. How can you do that?”

Arisa took off her helmet and sat on her bed. She smiled at Megumi, “Chad’s alright, I got to talk to him. Well, text message anyway. They have a subspace link with his mech. He’s going to fix his mech. He found some people there who’ll help him. I wish he was coming right back, but they ordered him to recon that enemy base.” Arisa sighed, “something’s going to happen, something big, I just know it.”

Rachel stood in the door watching Chad finish his repairs. He seemed angry, slamming the repair hatch shut before attacking the fasteners with a power wrench. She couldn’t blame him, having been beaten by the three men.

Chad finished the last of the panels. Things hadn’t gone well, mostly his own fault. He felt disillusioned, and let it affect his work. Four times today people had aimed guns at him intending to kill him, he didn’t like guns. Well, maybe Rachel hadn’t been trying to kill him, just defending her property, but the others were. What had he done to deserve that? Why did everyone have to shoot first, before they knew what was going on. Chad jumped down from Ghost and almost cried out in pain. It felt like someone stabbed him in the side with a beam saber.

Rachel saw Chad grimace as he jumped down. “Are you alright?” She asked as she entered the shop.

“Ya, just great,” Chad said, sarcastically. “It’s always a pleasure to get kicked around.”

Rachel sighed, “I know it was wrong of them, Chad, but please don’t judge them too harshly.” “They each have family or friends in Trillium, we all do…….. or did. Perhaps you don’t think that’s much of an excuse, but, I doubt you understand how it is for us.”

“I suppose I don’t,” Chad admitted. “I just wish they’d have given me a chance to explain things first though.”
“Ya, I’m sorry, I wish they had too.” Rachel admitted. She handed Chad a sandwich she’d made for him and a bottle of beer. “I thought you might have been hungry. It’ll be a couple hours till I have supper ready.”

“I’ll be gone by then,” Chad informed her. “General Parker gave me orders to recon that base, as soon as I had Ghost repaired. All I have left is to fill the fuel tank and I’ll be ready to move out.”

“Do you have to?” Rachel asked in a worried tone. “I mean, are you sure you’re going to be alright?” Rachel noted the resolve showing on Chad’s face and sighed. “I’ll pack some food and water for you to take along. Just don’t leave till you talk to Roy. Ok?”

“Sure, I’ll talk to him, but I can’t wait to long.” Chad told her as he touched the opener for the big shed door.”

John shook his head, “That’s crazy. We don’t know how many mechs they have. Sure we wrecked a lot of those black mechs, but they could have the dozen mechs from the Ticonderoga, it’s a suicide mission."

“You’re a wimp, Crichton,” Georgianna sneered. “Even if they have those EDF mechs, they wouldn’t have trained pilots. It’s going to be like shooting training dummies.”

John frowned, that was just like her, always ready to rush in, without considering the odds. “What about the tanks and antiaircraft cannons?” He queried.

“We have that covered, John,” Roy answered. “We have troops ready to take out the tanks, and the AA cannons are remote operated from the main base, we’ll control them when we take the base. We’ll be able to turn them on the enemy mechs. We planned to take them without your mechs, but if you can keep their mechs busy, it will make it a lot easier for our troops to take out the tanks.”

“Hmm, as long as you can keep those tanks from turning their rail guns on us, we should have a good chance.” John mused. “If we can surprise them, we can pick the mechs off as they come out.”

Rachel looked up from the box she had been stuffing with sandwiches and drinks. “If you’re done hashing all that out, Roy, you should go out and talk with Chad. He’s about set to leave, to go watch that base, but I don’t know if he should be going. I think he’s hurt worse than he’s letting on.”

Roy looked up, “He has that mech fixed already? I’ll talk to him, we need his input, but I don’t want him trying to go out there if he isn’t going to be able to handle it.”

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » January 4th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Mew notebook? :ho:
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » January 5th, 2012, 5:13 am

Yup, a Dell M5040. I'm sure it's small and slow for computer experts like you people, but at my typing speed, even my VIC20 could keep up with me.

I'll start on the next chapter tomorrow.

Now if I could just do art work.......

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » January 5th, 2012, 5:24 am

For what you got it, it's one hell of a machine, really.

And you really are keeping me on edge about Dominic. I'm still wondering how you're going to get him out of that mess without the bunch of deus ex machina i used.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » January 5th, 2012, 5:32 am

Don't worry, Dominic plays a role in the coming battle. Maybe not in the fight itself, but he definitely affects the tide of battle. He and Rydia have some planning to do.

Ya, for 265 bucks this thing is pretty good. I ran it for over 5 hrs on the battery the other night. The 15.6 inch screen is very nice, looks good playing movies. Now if I can just get use to this touch pad and windows 7........ not to mention word instead of my old corel.