5 minutes...... oldwrench tries story telling

Stories posted here will be copied to the Fan Fiction page. Please only submit your own work.
Sakura
Resident Kitty

Re: 5 minutes...... oldwrench tries story telling

Post by Sakura » September 11th, 2012, 9:19 am

Holy kitten I have updated the pdf and now the announcement is gone? :swt: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLRAAAAY!
What do you call a dinosaur with an extended vocabulary? A thesaurus.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » September 19th, 2012, 6:43 am

Ah but things are slow around here right now. It seems to happen this way every year at about this time. Well, I really am trying to work on the final chapters of 5min book one. I hope things are going to be exciting enough.

Right now our group of EDF and locals aren't fairing very well. Roy has taken over the headquarters, but the remote cannons won't work, and Edward triggered the nuclear bombs before running off. Rachel and her group are safe for the moment, but the pilots of the Krikav's mechs are in a very bad position and there won't be any help coming from the Krikav because it's going down. Arisa and Chad may not make it to the battle either. They happen to be in the only area of the valley that widens out enough to give the Krikav a chance to survive a crash landing. General Parker is coming with re-enforcements, but the delay caused by the asteroids may keep them from getting there in time.

So many things have gone against our brave band of warriors. Is there any way they can pull out of this mess?
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » September 21st, 2012, 12:56 pm

I suggest placing a few worm holes to speed up the gang a little :gg:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » October 16th, 2012, 5:20 am

Okay, the action continues. I told you, not everyone is going to make it out alive. The Krikov is about to crash, how bad will that be, especially for Arisa and Chad who are fight in it's path. What about the embattled mechs from the Krikov? There is so much going on, how is it all going to turn out. What about the people of Mar Sara? Did Dominic make it in time to prevent those atomic bombs from decimating their cities? Is this going to start the colony war? And, who is it that's behind the push for war?

Keep reading, we're getting closer to the answers.

Chapter 102

Colonel Hellwind held tight to the arms of his seat as collision alarms screamed around him.
Yuki’s calm voice cut over the alarms, “two mechs are in the crash area, sir.”

“Damn, can we clear them?” He yelled.

“Negative,” Yuki replied.

Dan guessed the mechs must belong to miners, he just hoped there was no one in them. There wasn’t time to warn them. There were only seconds left till they hit the ground.

Arisa had to make a choice. Military protocol demanded she should call for a recovery shuttle for Ghost. And, if she did what Chad wanted, she’d be disobeying her orders. She wasn’t supposed to join the fight on the ground, she and Ben were supposed to land on the mountain and make sure the tanks were destroyed, then try to pick off other targets of opportunity. But, if Chad were telling the truth, there were too many enemy mechs and he had the only chance of stopping them. She had to get him to the base……………. Arisa made her choice, she trusted Chad. She deployed her anchor cables and wrapped them around Ghost. “Alright, I’ll take you to the base,” she called to Chad. “Hang on.” Arisa pushed her thrusters to maximum and launched them toward the fight.

Chad groaned, the hard acceleration was painful and he nearly passed out. He was glad the inertial compensators were still working, or the g forces might have killed him. “Arisa, just drop me in the middle of the battle, then get out of there,” Chad told her.

“No,” she answered him, “you said you needed some time, I’ll buy you that thirty seconds, you just better be able to shut down those mechs.” Arisa opened a command on her main screen. It wasn’t a standard command, it was a program she’d installed in Keon. Mechs were built with a safety factor, just like power supplies. She knew something even good techs like Chad didn’t know, how to override that safety factor. When she was a child, the boys would make fun of her when she piloted her mech. They laughed when she didn’t outrun them. The head systems designer at the company had taught her how to override the safeties. After that, she didn’t lose races against the boys. As the thruster boosted the mechs away, Arisa could feel the whine of the hydraulic pumps as angry red indicators flashed, warning of pressures exceeding maximum limits. Secondary hydraulics spun up to maximum pressures adding to the primary system s power. The overload could easily destroy her mech, but it was her only chance to compete against the faster and nimbler Thunderbirds and Fireflys.
Arisa didn’t see the clearing explode behind her as thousands of tons of spaceship plowed into the ground.

Johanna tried to rally the Kirkav pilots around her position. She’d been able to get Megumi to join she and Rose in a triangle. They were able to hold a defensive position, but they couldn’t gain any advantage. She had tried to get Georgianna and John to join them to concentrate their offensive power, but the captain either had com problems, or just wasn’t listening. Things were desperate, and if they didn’t present a united defense, they didn’t stand much of a chance.

As the Lincoln pulled into the clear, General Parker ordered a full battle squadron of mechs and fighter craft to launch. He ordered sensor probes launched to cover every direction. In just moments his surveillance officer called his attention. “Sir, sensors indicate debris from a nuclear device.” The general was taken aback. No one but the EDF was supposed to have a nuke, and even those were kept locked away in arsenals since the Tarsonis mess. “Where? When?” Parker demanded. The officer worked at his sensor console for a few moments. “East and north, sir, that’s the closest I can narrow it until the probes reach the area.” He replied. “The particles we’re picking up indicate at least one device exploded less than forty-eight hours ago.”

Parker was just about to order the remaining probes to triangulate the position of the source of the nuclear debris when a second tech called out. “Battle in progress, sir, eighteen degrees north by seventy four degrees east.” He hesitated a moment, “sir, the Krikav is down, sixty two k west of the battle.” The general was again startled, the Krikav should have been in space, what was it doing crashed on the planet? He quickly ordered both medical team shuttles launched. “How bad is it?” He demanded. “Is there any chance of survivors?”

Bob knew something had gone critically wrong when the Krikav had lurched and tilted down at the nose. He’d rushed from the empty mech hangar toward the ships engineering deck. He’d reached the deck just as the collision alarm was sounding. Bob saw the two men lying on the floor outside the generator room, he recognized captain Pryde right away. He was startled to see the pool of blood under the captain. He had little time. Quickly he checked the two men and found the captain was still alive….. barely. With time running out he risked his own life trying to drag the captain against a forward bulkhead before the ship impacted the ground and they were slammed hard against the solid wall.

Captain Scott Curran backed his Lancer close to the wall of the base. He knew he’d been lucky to have blocked the first attack of that EDF Thunderbird. If she’d have attacked him first, he knew he’d have been the one dead on the ground. Yes, he knew the pilot of that mech, McFarlaine, he’d served with her and he knew how good she was. She was damned dangerous. He also knew her weakness, she would get so focused on the enemy she was facing that she forgot to watch her back. He swung his rail gun into position and waited. The battle was moving too fast for him to lock on a target, so he waited for her mech to cross into his sights. That was all he needed, at this range he couldn’t miss. He didn’t have to wait long, the Thunderbird moved into his sights and he pulled the trigger.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » October 29th, 2012, 5:13 am

I'm working on it, the big battle scene. But is there going to be anyone left to battle? Those Red Faction pilots are very good. Well, they should be, they were trained EDF pilots. And, these aren't the slower black mechs, they're the latest and best mechs, stolen from the EDF. The odds are pretty badly stacked against the pilots from the Krikav. Will your favorite characters survive?

Are there any survivors from the crash of the Krikav?

Like I said, this isn't going to follow the old RPG very closely so hang on, it's going to get a bit rough.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » November 13th, 2012, 6:02 am

The battle is going badly for our pilots. Who is going to survive the next few minutes of battle? Will any of them make it? The story has definitely diverged from the old RPG. I just hope I can make things as exciting for you as I picture them in my mind. You'll have to use a lot of imagination, I don't think I can describe things like a good writer would, besides, that would really make the story long.

imagine, giant mechs, smoke, sparks, flashing beam sabers, exploding tanks, confusion and chaos........... read on

Chapter 103

As collision alarms blared around her, Yuki skillfully guided the Krikav down the narrow valley to the wider plain between the mountains. The quiet of the valley erupted into chaos as forty thousand tons of ship drove its armored hull into the granite floor of the valley. The hull buckled and tore against the granite. The river exploded into steam as it hit metal and rock heated to incandescence by the crushing friction, and still the ship ground on. Finally the ship jarred to a stop as the valley narrowed to a gap between huge blocks of stone. One last time the old ship fulfilled its duty, protecting the crew that served her.

The bridge consoles flashed back into operation, running on reserve power. The colonel looked around, momentarily stunned that they were still alive, that the ship still showed life. “Get me a casualty report,” colonel Hellwind barked. “Yuki, do we have any report from the battle?”

“I am attempting to launch a com relay, sir,” Yuki reported. “I will inform you when we have contact with the attack forces.”

“Minor injuries reported sir,” a tech at one of the consoles reported. “Wait, a report fom engineering section, a man down……… it’s captain Pryde, sir, He’s been shot.”

John drove his beam saber down but the enemy blocked it again. These guys knew EDF tactics, it was hard to get inside their defenses. He’d done his share of damage, but he’d taken a bunch too. He swung a hard backstroke that his opponent dodged, and as he turned, he saw the rail gun of the enemy’s Lancer, pointed right at…….. Georgianna! John let his momentum carry him as he dived to his right. John tried to get his shield around in front of him. He knew the light shield of his firefly wouldn’t stop a bolt from that railgun, but, maybe he could deflect it. Epyon was slammed backward when the railgun bolt exploded against its shield. The mech stumbled back against Georgianna’s Thunderbird before falling to its knees.

Georgianna’s mech stumbled forward, almost causing her open up to the strike from the enemy in front of her. “Damn it, Crichton, stay off of me,” she screamed. “You’re going to get me killed.”

“Sorry Georgi,” John grit out. He looked down where a piece of his shield, turned to plasma by the fury of the rail gun bolt, had torn through the cockpit, and through his thigh. John was finished, he couldn’t move Epyon. Yes, he thought, sorry that he hadn’t had time to talk with Georgianna, to straighten things out. Sorry he wouldn’t be there to guard her back. He felt the sting as his suit injected medications, the tightening of the suit as it tried to stem the red flow of blood pooling on the floor. Not this time, he thought…… it just wouldn’t be enough. Not this time……………… Not for any of them. As darkness closed in on him, John thought, it wasn’t fair, Chad had promised to show him where all those movies were. He’d been so close to having it all.

Captain Curran swore, a Firefly had cut off his shot at McFairlane’s Thunderbird. He waited for his big gun to recharge, he had to get a second shot, had to take out that bitch. But suddenly, another mech landed in his line of fire, a Lancer.

“I have a com link established, sir,” Yuki informed the colonel. “Lieutenant Wolfman has answered my call.”

“Bullseye, what’s the situation there.” Colonel Hellwind demanded.

“Colonel, they lied to us, they’re a lot stronger than we were told. There’s a lot more mechs and a lot more tanks.” Ben almost yelled into his com. “We’re getting wiped out. I got a bunch of the tanks, but there must be more than a dozen, and they have at least twenty mechs. We only have four mechs left down there……….. Sh**, three, Crichton just bought it.” Ben didn’t mention that there had been no sign of Arisa’s Lancer, and no word from Chad. He hated to think that Arisa was afraid to enter the battle, but it was what he had to believe. But, where was Chad? He couldn’t believe Chad would be afraid of a fight. Maybe he was there, and you just couldn’t see him, but why hadn’t he said anything, or done anything? Suddenly Ben saw Arisa’s Lancer come in fast and land hard in the middle of the fight. “What the hell! Arisa just landed in the middle of the battle. That’s suicide, those T-Birds are going to slice her up. Damn fool.”

Colonel Hellwind was stunned. He’d believed Roy, he’d been sure his forces would win the battle. Now, he’d not only lost his ship, he was about to lose his whole command. Ben’s call that Arisa had entered the battle snapped the colonel back into action. He punched his com button, “Arisa, get out of there, NOW! Damn it, anyone who can get out of there, pull out.” Dan knew he’d failed. He’d lost his command, he would lose his career, if he survived this.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » November 14th, 2012, 5:39 am

We are rapidly approaching the climax of the story. I hope it will be a bit more exciting than the RPG ended up being. Arisa and Chad have landed. Can Arisa really join the fight? Can she pull the trigger, can Keon last those thirty seconds at maximum overdrive, or will Arisa end up a casualty of the battle? Maybe Chad can save her, he has the answer....... or does he? Will his plan actually work? There is a lot hinging on these two unproven factors.

Chapter 104

Arisa landed fast and hard. She’d scanned the area as they approached and knew a soft slow landing would be suicide. She dropped the anchor cables the instant she landed, Ghost dropped to its knees in front of her. She spun around when an alarm signaled a weapon lock on. Arisa barely got her shield around in time, but remembered to keep it at an angle. The bolt from the tank’s rail gun took a chunk off of her shield, and staggered the big mech, as it glanced off and slammed into the ground. Arisa quickly assessed the situation. The tank was located on a ledge up on the cliff face. Two more tanks were pulling onto the ledge, turning to fire at her. With hardly time to think, Arisa reacted. Keon’s big rail gun swung forward and slammed into firing position. Hastily, Arisa fired. The shot hit the granite cliff face fifteen meters below the tanks. As quickly as she pulled the trigger Arisa turned away, jettisoning the clumsy rail gun, a feral grin on her face. She didn’t have to see…….. the equivalent of a high explosive charge in the granite below that ledge……… Behind her the shattered cliff face crumbled and the three tanks tumbled down in a landslide of boulders.

Chad gritted his teeth as Ghost dropped to its knees. The inertial compensators weren’t working as well as they should. Blinking back the pain, he clumsily called up his program using only his left hand. “Ghost, transfer power to the com and transmit.” Chad ordered. A flat mechanical voice came over the cockpit com, “operation not possible, pilot survival mode initiated.”

As Arisa turned, she drew her lance and snapped it to full extension. An enemy Thunderbird was charging at Ghost with its beam saber raised. Arisa swung the lance, hard. The blow caught the Thunderbird with such force it cut the mech in half. Scanning the field, Arisa saw three more mechs rushing toward her position. A firefly was coming from the left and almost on them. In a startling move, she leapt Keon over Ghost and slammed her shield into the onrushing Firefly. The smaller mech flew backward a half dozen meters and hit the ground. With uncanny ability, gained from years of operating mechs, Arisa spun the big machine and raked her cannons across one attacker while blocking the beam saber of the other with her lance. She was pushing Keon too hard, she knew it, but this was no game, she didn’t have time to consider what the limits of the machine were. She had to react with all the speed and skill she posessed, and hope the big mech could hold together for the few seconds Chad said he needed.

No! This can’t happen, Chad thought, but he knew what had happened. The reserve power batteries were old and worn like the rest of the mech. The inertial compensators had dragged the reserve down to rapidly. When the power dropped to a certain level, the system shut down everything but the life support system and turned on a small, independently powered, distress signal. “Ghost! Override survival mode, you have to transmit.” Chad ordered…….. “Operation not possible, pilot survival mode initiated,” was all he got in reply.

Arisa ignored flashing warning signals and screaming sirens. She didn’t have the luxury of checking her systems, she had to fight. Joints screeched their protest as Arisa pushed the machine beyond its design specifications. Still, she pushed harder. Keon danced back and forth, using its beam blade tipped lance to keep the enemy back. The Firefly was back up and attacking, a hard swing of the lance sheared off half of its shield. Three Thunderbirds surrounded Keon, one finally got inside of the arc of Arisa’s lance and wrapped its arm over the shaft. Arisa used the lance shaft to hold the mechs shield down as she grabbed it with Keon’s left gauntlet, pulling it close. She opened fire with her cannons, blasting till the shells hammered through the Thunderbird cockpit. A heavy blow crashed into Keon from Arisa’s right, a beam saber crashed off of Keon’s heavy shoulder armor, tearing off its cannons. Only the wreckage of the cannons and the mechs heavy armor kept the blow from cutting off Keon’s head. Arisa spun and jerked hard on her lance, the shaft of the weapon broke as the ruined enemy mech fell over it. She spun to her right, blocking the second blow of the beam saber with her shield. She slammed into the Thunderbird with her shield and began beating it with the broken shaft. Arisa beat harder and harder till the head, with its sensors was a broken mess. Red indicators on Arisa’s main console showed a broken main hydraulic cylinder on Keon’s right arm. Warnings showed her secondary hydraulics had reached critical temperatures. The radiators on the big mech’s surface were glowing red as they tried to dump the energy from the overloaded inertial compensators. As Arisa turned she saw that Firefly was headed toward Ghost again. Damn, she thought, what was taking Chad so long?

Captain Curran knew he was going to have to change his target. He’d never seen a Lancer move like this one. He’s been piloting the big mechs since the EDF first adopted them, he knew the machine couldn’t do that. This must be some new version, some major update. That Lancer was moving like a Thunderbird…….. no, faster. And the pilot was some kind of madman…… a berserker. He’d already taken out three tanks and destroyed three Thunderbirds. Scott knew he had to take that thing out, but it kept moving around so quickly that he couldn’t get a shot. If only it would stay still, even for a couple seconds.

Arisa dived forward, slamming Keon into the third Thunderbird. It stumbled backward and lost its balance, hitting the ground hard. Arisa dived past Ghost, Keon’s left gauntlet grabbed the Firefly by the neck and slammed it to the ground. Arisa fell on top of the Firefly, trying to draw her tactical knife, but Keon’s right arm refused to operate. Failure warnings were flashing on the console, the secondary hydraulic pump had ground to a halt, seized tight. Arisa used the shield on Keon’s left arm, she smashed the edge into the firefly again and again till its armor shattered and caved in. Hurry Chad! Arisa pleaded in her mind, Keon can’t last much longer.

“Ghost, you have to transmit.” Chad shouted at the console, but the only answer he got was, “Operation not possible, survival……….” “No,” Chad shouted. He slammed his fists onto the console in frustration then fell back screaming in pain. “If you don’t transmit,” Chad cried out in pain, “it won’t matter, there won’t be any survivors.” Chad slumped back in his pilot seat, cradling his broken arm. He’d failed. He was being foolish, talking to a machine. It didn’t care, it could only follow its programing. His futile attempt to stop that monster weapon had doomed them, his comrades……. Arisa.

Captain Curran finally got his chance, that dangerous Lancer had made a mistake, it had gone down with a Firefly. As the Lancer bashed at the smaller mech, Scott swung his rail gun around, at this range, he couldn’t miss, when the sights centered on the big machine, Scott fired.

Sakura
Resident Kitty

Post by Sakura » November 25th, 2012, 9:23 pm

It really is another book... my friend who helped me printing Dinky's novel is no longer active and has sold his machinery. The copyshop around the corner asks for 300 Euro in advance I guess we have to publish it online then? :thumb:

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » November 26th, 2012, 1:21 am

That's fine, I thought we already were publishing online. Your pdf looks great. I have the next chapter in the works.What is going to happen to Arisa? What's going to happen to the other pilots since Chad's plan has failed. Even with the mechs Arisa took out, they still are way outnumbered. Re-enforcements are on their way, but could they even get there on time to save anyone. We'll just have to see how things play out.

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » November 26th, 2012, 4:49 am

The battle for Mar Sara hammers on. Things aren't looking good for the EDF pilots. Just the four of them are still standing on the battlefield. Well, Arisa isn't actually standing, and she's in the sights of a Red Faction rail gun. Captain Curran has plans to take out Georgianna with his rail gun after he takes care of Arisa. Rose is out of the fight, and Megumi has taken some damage.
General Parker has ordered his mechs to rush to the battle, but they are still minutes away, and mech battles only last minutes.
Chad thought he had the answer to stopping the enemy mechs, but his plan has failed, wrecked along with Ghost in his futile attack on Atropos. If he had more time, perhaps he could bypass the power to the com system, but he has no more time.

Is all hope lost? Read on.

Chapter 105

Arisa pushed Keon to get up. She had to keep going, even if her shield was all she had left to fight with. She’d told Chad she would cover him for thirty seconds, she had to keep going. As long as Keon kept operating, as long as she could get up, she would fight. As Keon started to rise, there was a loud, explosive, crack. Keon twisted to the left and fell across the broken firefly. Smoke began to pour from the joints of its armor. Keon was finished.

“Colonel, we have communications established with the Lincoln.” Yuki informed colonel Hellwind. “The one hundred first mechanized is coming, ‘eta’ eight minutes. “

Dan looked at Yuki. The one oh one mech! One hundred twenty five of the best in the EDF, but they were too late. Too late to save his command. “Bullseye, what’s happening?” He demanded of his communicator. “Did anyone get away? “

“No, sir” Ben answered, “I don’t think they can, they all are taking damage. Chad’s down, Arisa was carrying Ghost when she landed, it’s all busted up. Arisa’s fighting a bunch of mechs………. Damn, how is she?............. You can’t do that with a Lancer……..”

“What? What’s going on?” Daniel demanded. If they could hold out, just a few more minutes. But, there wasn’t much chance, battles moved at far to rapid a pace. Eight minutes, they could never hold out that long.

Ghost’s screens went blank, plunging the cockpit into darkness. An eerie silence surrounded Chad as even the environmental fans in the cockpit ceased their hum. So, the power had failed, Chad guessed. It didn’t matter, there was nothing he could do now. Out of the blackness of his despair, Chad heard Ghosts familiar voice. “Power transferred to the com system, file transmission is completed, Chad.” That was it, Chad realized, the silence, the clamor of battle had ceased. It worked! But, had Ghost transmitted in time? Was anyone left? Chad felt for the com controls, and called, “Captain, are you there, captain.”

Georgianna had been braced to block the blow from an enemy mech, but it didn’t come. She looked around the battlefield, hardly able to believe it, the Red Faction’s mechs weren’t moving……. None of them were moving. She got a call from Chad. “Ross, where the hell are you? Something strange is going on, their mechs quit.” She informed him.

“Five minutes, captain,” Chad told her, “five minutes till they start up again.”

Georgianna looked around at the enemy mechs, she didn’t know what Chad had done, but he told her she had five minutes to eliminate the threat. She swung her long beam saber at the mech closest to her. The glowing blade stopped inches from the mechs cockpit. Georgianna keyed her com to multi-channel and external broadcast, “anyone still in their mech in sixty seconds, dies in it.” She shouted.

Captain Scott Curran aimed then pulled the trigger again………. harder. Damn, how could his gun fail? But, he found he had worse problems, his mech wouldn’t move. Scott jerked at his controls, to no avail. He looked down at the main console, ready to check diagnostics, but on the screen, lines of code were scrolling under the heading, INITIALIZING. It didn’t seem he was the only one with problems, the com was overloaded with the other pilots screaming that their mechs had quit. Scott heard the warning from McFairlane, he knew she’d be all too happy to carry it out. His mama hadn’t raised a fool, Scott popped the cockpit open, he was getting out of there. In fact, he was starting to wonder how he’d ever wound up in this outfit, and why.

Chad tried to call Arisa, but he got no answer. No, that couldn’t be, she had to answer, Chad tried again………. still no answer. Chad slumped back into his seat, the fatigue of sleepless days, the letdown from the fear of battle, the injuries, all weighed him down. Chad closed his eyes letting the darkness enfold him.