My hard drive! NUUU!

Do you think your teacher is possessed by an ancient monkey spirit and they stole your nose? This is the place to show off your random crazyness!
Elvin
Fan
Fan

Re: My hard drive! NUUU!

Post by Elvin » February 20th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Indeed. Once the initial shock was over, my overall damage assessment wasn't so bad (3 days of my reading week lost, games I could start over again :.:, the inconvenience of having to redownload every single program I used).

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » February 21st, 2009, 1:56 am

Jesus saves... God makes tape backups.

Since I have a laptop as my main computer ( :sob: ) all I have for backups is DVDs and a external hard drive. I'm trying to get me a desktop again, which will of course have some sort of RAID for redundancy (and a sweet video card! yay!).
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » March 6th, 2011, 8:05 pm

To resurrect a dead thread...... I got my 500 gb Western Digital drive replaced. It took less than a week for them to send the replacement. It still seems bad when a drive doesn't make three years. I guess I'm one of the 5% failure rate.

Ok, that said, here's something if you're paranoid about your data. http://www.iosafe.com/products-soloPRO-overview
waterproof, fireproof, you can get it up to 2tb. and you can get it with ssd up to 512gb. Maximum PC tested it, they put it in a fire at about 1200 degrees F for a half hour, then dunked it in San Francisco bay water for a while, they pulled the drive out and it still worked just fine. So if you're planning on some disaster, this could be your ticket.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Zeratul2k
Captain Catnip

Post by Zeratul2k » March 7th, 2011, 7:43 am

Wow, and it doesn't seem all that expensive either. I wonder if it's shock resistant as well, could make for a nice hard drive solution for dad's car onboard computer, the one he has to take off-road every day because of work... *goes to keep reading the specs.*
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph... because good is DUMB!

oldwrench
Ojiichan

Post by oldwrench » March 8th, 2011, 4:56 am

If you get the SSD models, they are shock proof to 1000g. They are sort of expensive though.
Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.